Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 142
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    119

    Post An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Hi everyone,

    I'm an Australian who has just bought a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop to travel America in. It is in really excellent condition with 58K original miles on the clock. I have done all the preventative maintenance on it that I can think of, including changing all fluids; flushing of the
    radiator, block and heater core; replacing all belts and hoses; replacing brake hoses; replacing all filters; replacing the tires and replacing the exhaust with a freer flowing twin system. I purchased it in Cleveland and have just headed off on my journey and am now in Washington DC before heading south for warmer climates (or Route 66 weather permitting).

    As this is my first Buick, I do have some questions about the car and will post them in the appropriate areas.

    Look forward to talking with you.

    Stephen

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    Posts
    15,462

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    I think this is a super cool road trip!!!! Have a blast!!! Take lots of pics and vids and share them!

    Here is another road trip thread:

    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...ight=Road+trip
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

    http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Near Poughkeepsie New York
    Posts
    5,631

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Welcome aboard from NY. Like you I will be headed south after the 1st to warm sunny FL.
    Fred Weisse
    67 GS400 4 Speed Convertible
    70 GSX Stage1
    70 GS Stage1 Conv
    87 GNX
    And Much Much More


    "Every Breath You Take, Every Move You Make, I'll Be Watching You" Our Gov't at work.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Waring, Tx
    Posts
    6,577

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Have a great trip.
    If you come through Texas stop by and have a beer
    Mark
    72 Skylark "GSX" Convertible 462, SP 400, 4:10
    72 "GSX" 464, TH 400, 3:42 10.71@126, street tires and mufflers
    Quadrajet Power LLC
    Your one stop Quadrajet shop for parts, services and custom built Quadrajets
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,428

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Welcome to V8 Buick. Years ago we sold our old motor home to a group of 4 Australian guys who then used it to tour the US and then sold it before they left. I'm sure they got their money's worth, as opposed to jet plane rides and taxis, and saw a lot more that way.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Live Oak Florida
    Posts
    7,898

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    If you get into North Florida on I- 75 give me a shout when u get close to the state line.
    ROA Member # 13359
    BCA #46919
    BPG #2320
    68 Riviera: Show car.
    78 Regal:Track car 1.47 60'- 7.00.9 1/8 mile, 11.14 1/4

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    119

    Post Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Thank you all for your welcomes.

    I will be travelling towards Texas and Florida (just don't know the order yet - if the weather holds up parts of old Route 66 may be on the cards) so will get in touch with you Briz and you Carmantx when I'm heading in that direction.

    Thanks too Sean Buick76 for that road-trip link. I like that map idea - I bought the Rand McNally's large scale travel map book to mark my route on, so will look to them photograph that as well.

    Have a good journey GS Fred. I'll be leaving Washington DC on Monday or Tuesday - if you want to catch up on the road somewhere let me know your travel route and we can see if we are likely to cross paths somewhere.

    I'm currently in Washington DC working my way through the Smithsonian Museums - an exhausting but very enjoyable experience.

    I have created a travel Blog of my world trip that I am going to publish in the next day or two - if anyone wants me to include them in those Blog notifications please advise. I say this because I'm just aware of how time consuming it is keeping the Blog reasonably up to date - as there is no 'better half' to assist me, having to also create the same in the Forum is likely to be highly time consuming.

    I have a question to ask (and will post it in the engine section as well in case it's more appropriate there) - one of the things I'd like to do on this road trip in the US is to sit with someone who is pulling down an engine and then rebuilding it. I understand the working of an engine and know most of the parts and their purpose, but have never been in a position myself to strip down an engine and go through the re-build process (same for gearbox and diff). Do any of you know someone who has a project rebuild on the cards who might be willing to involve me in it?

    Happy New Year to you all and again, thanks for the welcome.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chardon,Ohio
    Posts
    1,782

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Cleveland? who did you buy the car from?? got any pics?
    Shawn
    1986 Ttype 60k miles, Matts car. MANY mods 10 sec ride
    2005 Chevy Z71
    2013 GHIG Mustang BOSS 302.. 12.56@115 BONE STOCK
    1972 GS455 69k miles original except paint, 470 BBB w Stage 2 TEs in the works,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    near Atlanta
    Posts
    1,298

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    That sounds like an awesome trip! If you pass through or near Atlanta let me know! I'll buy the first round.
    Patrick

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by pbr400 View Post
    That sounds like an awesome trip! If you pass through or near Atlanta let me know! I'll buy the first round.
    Patrick
    Hi Patrick, thanks for the hospitality - I do expect to go through Atlanta at some point, so will take you up on the offer.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by mygs462 View Post
    Cleveland? who did you buy the car from?? got any pics?
    I purchased it through a dealer in Amherst - ignoring the dealer, it was a one owner vehicle with 58K miles on the clock. I was lucky to find an old school Buick mechanic about 2 miles down the road from the dealer who went over it with a fine tooth comb and came away highly impressed with the state of the vehicle - he believes it was a weekend car, only been driven on sunny days. There is no rust underneath (treated with under-body protection) and it looks like the insides of the doors have had some form of treatment too - we had the door panels off to get the drivers arm rest repaired, so had a good look. There are no rust bubbles showing under the edges of the Landau top either (I've had a Landau roofed car before, so know they are prone to rusting). The only spot of rust we found was in the upper front edge of the driver's door - presumably moisture getting stuck there. Funnily enough it's not the same on the passengers side. The mechanic suggested preventative maintenance so replaced all the belts and hoses; replaced the brake hoses; replaced the tires; replaced all fluids and replaced the rear brake pads; did a radiator, block and heater core flush and I had the front shocks replaced with Munro Sensa-track shocks to ease the pogo-ing and replaced the Center-Link so the wheel alignment could be done. Everything works except the electric aerial 'cos it's been replaced with a fixed one. Oh, and it came with a new radiator, new front brake pads and new dissy-cap, rotor, leads and plugs!! Interior is really good - very little wear. Drives well (particularly once I upped the tyre pressures to 36 psi and stopped the tire squirm) and I getting 14 mpg around town and at 65 on the hwy!! I do have photos - now isn't that a lot of car to love!!
    Last edited by StephenintheUSA; 01-04-2015 at 11:49 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chardon,Ohio
    Posts
    1,782

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Shes a beauty. I had one just about like her when I was 19, a set of Buick road wheels would make her perfect!
    Shawn
    1986 Ttype 60k miles, Matts car. MANY mods 10 sec ride
    2005 Chevy Z71
    2013 GHIG Mustang BOSS 302.. 12.56@115 BONE STOCK
    1972 GS455 69k miles original except paint, 470 BBB w Stage 2 TEs in the works,

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,428

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Gotta love that couch pretending to be an automobile front seat!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Niles, IL
    Posts
    304

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Wow really nice looking car!
    1974 Buick LeSabre Luxus Convertible Stage 1
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP (stick)
    2014 Chevy Volt (something to balance out the beasts)

    Walter

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    near Atlanta
    Posts
    1,298

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Very pretty car. Are you shipping it home after the trip? As for the 'first round' just PM me when you have an idea of your Atlanta plans.
    Patrick

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,903

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Nothing beats a road trip in a Buick cruiser like your beautiful Electra. Enjoy (try to avoid interstates and you'll find the most beautiful spots)
    Rob

    ROA/BCA/BPG

    68 Wildcat Custom 2dr
    69 Electra 225 Custom 4dr (gone)
    71 Electra Custom 2 dr
    72 Electra Limited 4dr (in California awaiting another road trip in '16))
    72 Estate Wagon
    73 Riviera
    75 Riviera GS

    My garage

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    119

    Question Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by mygs462 View Post
    Shes a beauty. I had one just about like her when I was 19, a set of Buick road wheels would make her perfect!
    "Buick road wheels"??? Would you clarify (mine has what I believe are the original steal rims and caps)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    119

    Question Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by 75Riv View Post
    Nothing beats a road trip in a Buick cruiser like your beautiful Electra. Enjoy (try to avoid interstates and you'll find the most beautiful spots)
    Thanks 75Riv - on that note, if any one has favourite routes they want to share or places to visit, please feel free to share them. It's a big country and even with travel guides etc, a bit of local knowledge is ALWAYS a good thing.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by pbr400 View Post
    Very pretty car. Are you shipping it home after the trip? As for the 'first round' just PM me when you have an idea of your Atlanta plans.
    Patrick
    Hi Patrick, I don't know about shipping it home - I have thought about it, but there are several problems if I do that not the least of which is driving a LH drive vehicle in a RH drive country. It is even harder to get use to than just getting use to driving on the other side of the road (and I say that knowing people do get use to it - we have lots of classic LHD cars in Oz). I just don't think I want to go that path. I suspect I'll sell it before I leave. Stephen

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    Wow really nice looking car!
    Thanks. I like it a lot too.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by SteeveeDee View Post
    Gotta love that couch pretending to be an automobile front seat!
    Yes, and it is comfortable!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St Louis Missouri
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    X2 on the wheels...

    Either way,, that's a pretty cool cruiser.



    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...2F%3B800%3B457
    Brian

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenintheUSA View Post
    Thanks 75Riv - on that note, if any one has favourite routes they want to share or places to visit, please feel free to share them. It's a big country and even with travel guides etc, a bit of local knowledge is ALWAYS a good thing.
    It would help if we knew of your planned start and finish point. Rob, aka 75 Riv has done a few of these sojourns over the years. I have been a professional truck driver for about 20 years, and have been to many off the main road spots.

    Can you provide us an outline of where you plan to go? Hint, my favorite place is the US southwest.

    Edit as I overlooked your first post.

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenintheUSA View Post
    I purchased it in Cleveland and have just headed off on my journey and am now in Washington DC before heading south for warmer climates (or Route 66 weather permitting).

    Stephen
    If you're heading west from Florida I cannot help much until you get closer to New Mexico and Arizona. If you're into old wild west stuff, perhaps a trip to Tombstone, AZ might work. Might be overly commercialized by now, but there's plenty of old US history around there. Not sure of your timeline, but northern Arizona has lots of gorgeous scenery especially the Grand Canyon. It might get snowy during winter, but it's definitely worth the trip. US 89 north from Flagstaff is a nice drive, but it's over 7,000 feet, so expect snow.

    Roswell, NM might interest you, since it's home to the (in)famous Roswell Incident of 1947 where a UFO supposedly crash landed.
    Last edited by Mister T; 01-04-2015 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added more information
    Tom B
    05 Legend Lime Mustang GT convert.
    07 Lincoln Navigator

    No more Buicks....for the time being. Can I still play here?

    There's no such thing as a free lunch. Get used to it.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Near Poughkeepsie New York
    Posts
    5,631

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    Sorry we missed you. We blew thru on the 1st. About 18 hrs drive time. If you get to the West Palm beach ping me and maybe we can meet.
    Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenintheUSA View Post
    Thank you all for your welcomes.

    I will be travelling towards Texas and Florida (just don't know the order yet - if the weather holds up parts of old Route 66 may be on the cards) so will get in touch with you Briz and you Carmantx when I'm heading in that direction.

    Thanks too Sean Buick76 for that road-trip link. I like that map idea - I bought the Rand McNally's large scale travel map book to mark my route on, so will look to them photograph that as well.

    Have a good journey GS Fred. I'll be leaving Washington DC on Monday or Tuesday - if you want to catch up on the road somewhere let me know your travel route and we can see if we are likely to cross paths somewhere.

    I'm currently in Washington DC working my way through the Smithsonian Museums - an exhausting but very enjoyable experience.

    I have created a travel Blog of my world trip that I am going to publish in the next day or two - if anyone wants me to include them in those Blog notifications please advise. I say this because I'm just aware of how time consuming it is keeping the Blog reasonably up to date - as there is no 'better half' to assist me, having to also create the same in the Forum is likely to be highly time consuming.

    I have a question to ask (and will post it in the engine section as well in case it's more appropriate there) - one of the things I'd like to do on this road trip in the US is to sit with someone who is pulling down an engine and then rebuilding it. I understand the working of an engine and know most of the parts and their purpose, but have never been in a position myself to strip down an engine and go through the re-build process (same for gearbox and diff). Do any of you know someone who has a project rebuild on the cards who might be willing to involve me in it?

    Happy New Year to you all and again, thanks for the welcome.
    Fred Weisse
    67 GS400 4 Speed Convertible
    70 GSX Stage1
    70 GS Stage1 Conv
    87 GNX
    And Much Much More


    "Every Breath You Take, Every Move You Make, I'll Be Watching You" Our Gov't at work.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hebron, Kentucky {Cincinnati area}
    Posts
    4,021

    Default Re: An Australian travelling the USA in a 1976 Buick Electra Limited 2-door Hardtop

    You picked a great time fuel price wise...I'd recommend the Mecum auction coming up in Florida if you get a chance. Good day mate. Safe travels!
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

    Daily drivers (all bought new) 1995 C-1500, 2008 Highlander, 2015 Corolla

    "The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

    "Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

    "A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

 

 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 1976 Buick Electra Limited Landau Edition - $1500
    By cjp69 in forum Cars and Parts For Sale Leads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 01:36 PM
  2. 1976 Buick Electra 225 Limited - BARN FIND - $4500 on CL
    By Chi-Town67 in forum Cars and Parts For Sale Leads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM
  4. 1976 Buick Electra 225 Limited, one owner, 47K miles. $3700
    By GoldBoattail455 in forum Cars and Parts For Sale Leads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 11:36 PM
  5. 1976 Buick Electra Limited
    By Blue Dawg in forum Wet behind the ears??
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 07:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top