Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Default Re: FI Tech "Go EFI 4" Self Tuning Throttle Body Injection Install Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    Sage advice with any EFI.
    My holley EFI specifically says in the instructions that any fuel pump drawing more than 12 amps requires a separate relay.

http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/503

I highly recommend a sealed delphi style relay socket like sold above. Expensive but extra insurance for electrical components mounted in the engine bay.
    Jacob
    72 Skylark with rebuilt Buick 355. 8.5:1 JE pistons. TA 1.60 roller rockers, roller cam and lifters.
    TA SP3 Intake converted to Holley HP MPFI with 66lb injectors
    Chevy 12 bolt 4.11 gears
    TA 1 5/8" headers
    Extreme Automatics Stage II 200-4r Extreme Automatics 2600rpm 9.5" converter
    Coil near plug ignition, GN cam sensor, 36-1 crank trigger.
    Front and rear disc brake conversion, Rear sway bar, boxed lower rear control arms
    17x8 and 17x9 Year one Magnum wheels. 285/40/17 rear tires.

Default Re: FI Tech "Go EFI 4" Self Tuning Throttle Body Injection Install Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Warner View Post
    I doubt its part of your problem but there are a lot of complaints going around that the coolant temp sensors in the FiTech kits run about 20deg F cooler than actual temp at least when you are in the operating temperature zone.
    Unless the car was stuck in warm up mode the coolant temp being off by 20F wouldn't bother me much. The air intake temp on the other hand plays a much larger role in fueling.
    The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=208168
    My Pontiac OHC Six thread.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219250

I'm just a regular guy that fuel injected an old Buick and Thunderbird.

Quote Originally Posted by DauntlessSB92 View Post
    My holley EFI specifically says in the instructions that any fuel pump drawing more than 12 amps requires a separate relay.

http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/503

I highly recommend a sealed delphi style relay socket like sold above. Expensive but extra insurance for electrical components mounted in the engine bay.
    Interesting, so did you mount the relay on the firewall and give it a separate keyed power source?

I'm kind of curious how a Holley Hydramat would work instead of the FCC. Particularly those that don't mind racing with a few extra gallons of fuel just in case, as I'm sure it'd work fine on the street down to near empty. Looks like for an old car's gas tank they range in price from $150-$200. Then simply mount a high pressure pump in the fuel line somewhere.
    The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    I'm kind of curious how a Holley Hydramat would work instead of the FCC. Particularly those that don't mind racing with a few extra gallons of fuel just in case, as I'm sure it'd work fine on the street down to near empty. Looks like for an old car's gas tank they range in price from $150-$200. Then simply mount a high pressure pump in the fuel line somewhere.
    It would probably work fine. I put hydramat in another stock tank. While it was a pain to install, I was trying to make it work with a stock pick up for a mechanical pump.
    Eric B

1972 GS 350 4sp Convertible (running 455)
    1972 GS 350 Hardtop (running 455)
    1971 Olds Cutlass - turbo LS conversion - project underway!
    1995 Trans Am - Supercharged and FAST
    1997 Chevy 3500 Supercharged

Has anyone swapped out spark plugs for E3 or something with this setup? My plugs still look fine and aren't that old. Should I have something other than a stock spark gap? I have stock heads (462) My car still starts hard and inconsistently. I've dropped the prime to 100 and changed the crank fuel from -20 to -15 then
    to -5.
    My IAC at warm idle flops between 4 and 10.
    It drives nice most of the time but if I mash it and the car doesn't downshift, it will gurgle away and eventually figure itself out. If i want to get going to pass, i have to gear down my self and get the revs up.
    I'm not sure what issue to go after next because it seems that changing 1 thing will affect another.
    My idle is also erratic, I have it set at 650 RPM and idle fluctuates from 830 to 550ish.
    Any thoughts?

IMHO 650 RPM is low for idle, in or out gear....

You've asked a lot of questions over the last couple months but I don't see what you have done/not done at this point. So tell us where you are at with your setup now.

Stock intake with open spacer/adaptor?
    What kind of fuel system?
    Timing set to where?
    Timing controlled by FiTech or mech/vac?
    Anything else that seems relevant...

I don't think you are going to fix anything with E3 plugs other than an unnecessary pillaging of your bank account. If you have old crappy wires and tired spark plugs then get a good set of make your own MSD or Taylor spiral core wires and some AC Delco or NGK RESISTOR plugs. Run the wires around the valve covers with some sort of looms so you don't have plug wires draped all over the top of the intake near the throttle body or any of its associated wiring. A cap with brass terminals (i.e. MSD) will serve you well. When in doubt about what to buy and how to set it up, ask questions in the street/stip forum! Larry (the Wiz) will generally chime in if nobody else does when ignition related questions are posted and his advise is SOLID.

I will re-re-re state after helping a guy locally with one of these that there are a few common issues that you really have to avoid.
    1. Keep the FI wiring especially the tach signal wire away from any MSD type box or anything else that might generate a frequency that might jump like a cooling or blower fan.
    2. Weld the freaking O2 bung to the header or collector and make sure there are no other exhaust leaks!
    3. You really should have about (at minimum) 80+ amp alternator that is pumping out good current/voltage even at your goal 650 RPM idle. An OLD 40-60 amp external regulator type charging system is gonna go low at idle and piss of the ECU. Some 1 wire units are flakey at idle even though they are rated for big current.
    4. These throttle body EFI systems don't seem to love dual plane manifolds. Some people do OK with them, I've read plenty posts where people fixed drivability issues by swapping the dual plane out, none where the opposite was true.
    5. If you are using the FiTech FCC you are pretty much doomed! Be prepared for all sorts of problems until you get tired of it and put a pump in the tank or buy a Robb MC fuel module.

Quote Originally Posted by bdschuch View Post
    Has anyone swapped out spark plugs for E3 or something with this setup? My plugs still look fine and aren't that old. Should I have something other than a stock spark gap? I have stock heads (462) My car still starts hard and inconsistently. I've dropped the prime to 100 and changed the crank fuel from -20 to -15 then
    to -5.
    My IAC at warm idle flops between 4 and 10.
    It drives nice most of the time but if I mash it and the car doesn't downshift, it will gurgle away and eventually figure itself out. If i want to get going to pass, i have to gear down my self and get the revs up.
    I'm not sure what issue to go after next because it seems that changing 1 thing will affect another.
    My idle is also erratic, I have it set at 650 RPM and idle fluctuates from 830 to 550ish.
    Any thoughts?
    Ken Warner

1970 GS 455 With Trishield 470 BBB, TA Stage-1 SE heads, TRI-Shield spec roller cam, FiTech EFI, Extreme Automatics Stage III TH200-4R and now a 3.90 rear gear!

X2 on Ken's post. I always say that 90% of fuel system problems are in the ignition.

Have you used the logging feature on your FiTech? This could give you important info on what your problem is.
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Has anyone swapped out spark plugs for E3 or something with this setup? My plugs still look fine and aren't that old. Should I have something other than a stock spark gap? I have stock heads (462) Stock plugs are typically fine. I just run standard AC Delco's in mine.

My car still starts hard and inconsistently. I've dropped the prime to 100 and changed the crank fuel from -20 to -15 then
    to -5. I'm pretty sure you have other issues to sort out before moving on to this one. I don't know enough about the FiTech setup to say if the negative numbers are correct. Someone with it installed has them at?
    My IAC at warm idle flops between 4 and 10. With no other information I suspect a vacuum leak or some setting around idle rpm targeting set too tight.
    It drives nice most of the time but if I mash it and the car doesn't downshift, it will gurgle away and eventually figure itself out. If i want to get going to pass, i have to gear down my self and get the revs up. Not a fuel injection issue. I'm assuming its a TH400, diagnose the kick down switch.
    My idle is also erratic, I have it set at 650 RPM and idle fluctuates from 830 to 550ish. Back to suspected vacuum leak or some setting around idle rpm targeting set too tight.
    Any thoughts?
    Follow all that up with unplugging your vacuum advance (and plug the hose) until the other issues are sorted out.

My Skylark thread

IMHO 650 RPM is low for idle, in or out gear....

You've asked a lot of questions over the last couple months but I don't see what you have done/not done at this point. So tell us where you are at with your setup now.

Stock intake with open spacer/adaptor? Edelbrock performer (dual plane i think)
    What kind of fuel system? Tanks inc tank and pump. -6 an line and return
    Timing set to where? not sure, id have to check
    Timing controlled by FiTech or mech/vac? not controlled by fitech, vac advanced is capped off per engine builder (Mike at AM&P)
    Anything else that seems relevant.. 200R4 with 2400 stall. vac at idle @ 12, in gear 10.
    i have the pertronix points conversion that i'm not tickled with. I just measured volts during crank and the low point is 10.7. Running it measures 14. George N recommended swapping in the Crane XRI ignition conversion so i may do that too.

I don't think you are going to fix anything with E3 plugs other than an unnecessary pillaging of your bank account. If you have old crappy wires and tired spark plugs then get a good set of make your own MSD or Taylor spiral core wires and some AC Delco or NGK RESISTOR plugs. Run the wires around the valve covers with some sort of looms so you don't have plug wires draped all over the top of the intake near the throttle body or any of its associated wiring. A cap with brass terminals (i.e. MSD) will serve you well. When in doubt about what to buy and how to set it up, ask questions in the street/stip forum! Larry (the Wiz) will generally chime in if nobody else does when ignition related questions are posted and his advise is SOLID.

I will re-re-re state after helping a guy locally with one of these that there are a few common issues that you really have to avoid.
    1. Keep the FI wiring especially the tach signal wire away from any MSD type box or anything else that might generate a frequency that might jump like a cooling or blower fan.
    2. Weld the freaking O2 bung to the header or collector and make sure there are no other exhaust leaks! done
    3. You really should have about (at minimum) 80+ amp alternator that is pumping out good current/voltage even at your goal 650 RPM idle. An OLD 40-60 amp external regulator type charging system is gonna go low at idle and piss of the ECU. Some 1 wire units are flakey at idle even though they are rated for big current i converted the alt when i installed the engine about 4 years back, i remember getting the higher amp alt as the price difference was peanuts.

4. These throttle body EFI systems don't seem to love dual plane manifolds. Some people do OK with them, I've read plenty posts where people fixed drivability issues by swapping the dual plane out, none where the opposite was true.
    5. If you are using the FiTech FCC you are pretty much doomed! Be prepared for all sorts of problems until you get tired of it and put a pump in the tank or buy a Robb MC fuel module.

I really appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by sailbrd View Post
    X2 on Ken's post. I always say that 90% of fuel system problems are in the ignition.

Have you used the logging feature on your FiTech? This could give you important info on what your problem is.
    I have logged, I just don't see anything that stands out. My biggest problem is starting so I'm going to do something to upgrade my ignition first.

I have logged, I just don't see anything that stands out. My biggest problem is starting so I'm going to do something to upgrade my ignition first.

I am running the eddy performer intake with no issues....smooth as butter.

I am also running the e3s. I know many people are not fans, but I have had very good results on 3 vehicles with these plugs. What converted me? I have a car that burns 1 qt of oil every 300 miles. I was fouling conventional plugs. I put these on....11,000 miles later and still haven't fouled one. Also, on my 97 Chevy vortec truck, noticeable smoother idle with these compared to conventional plugs.

For your idle issue, I suspect a bad tach signal or vacuum leak. Where are you taking your tach signal at?

What cam setting are you at on the set up? I would try 3 or 4 with that vacuum level.

My cam only makes 12in at idle, 8 in gear. I have found that cam setting 3 worked best. I also quit trying to get my IAC steps at 5-10 in park at temp. If I adjusted my throttle screw in enough to get them that low, my idle would be too high many times in park or in gear. I now have it set where it is in the 20-40 range in park. Idle is fine.
    Eric B

Well, if I were to venture a couple of things to try.

1. make sure you have full 12+ volts to the ignition at all times. As mentioned before you may have an ignition problem you assume is fuel related. Also depending on what version of Pertronix it may be causing some grief. There was a version that tried to do multi spark at low RPM. That would probably cause some interesting problems. The Crane is a favorite conversion around here but I'm not sure how sensitive it is about operating voltage.

2. Really need to know you timing setup. Larry's timing setup sticky in the wrenchin' section is really helpful. You really should have at least 14-16+ deg of initial advance with about 34 total. For racing the no vac advance thing is great but for around town the vac advance will help a with drivability and fuel economy. I've been running it on ported vacuum with a limit of about 10 deg additional advance.

For reference I'm running right at 10in HG at 850RPM idle in my car. Currently using cam setting 3 but 2 seemed to run about the same.
    Ken Warner

1970 GS 455 With Trishield 470 BBB, TA Stage-1 SE heads, TRI-Shield spec roller cam, FiTech EFI, Extreme Automatics Stage III TH200-4R and now a 3.90 rear gear!

Thank Ken and Eric!
    1) Tach: for my tech signal i spliced into my existing lead for my hood tach (soldered connection) very near to the TB. is there a good way to test the signal?

2) cam: maybe I should try cam setting 3 just to see what happens. Will that negate all of the things I've changed already? not a huge deal i guess. the biggest changes I've made were to accel pump and fuel at crank.

3) ignition: I was having hard start problems a couple years ago and traced it back to the pertronix needing a full 12v to fire off. I found that if I turn the key forward for 5 sec. before cranking, it started better. I then ran a 12 ga wire from the batt to a fused switch under the dash and then back to the coil to provide full 12v for startup (this setup sux). I just don't want to spend another hundred bucks on a conversion and have the same outcome. I sure wish the GM HEI distributor would fit beneath my GS air cleaner, simple and reliable.

4) Distributor: Has anyone heard any good or bad about DUI HEI distributors? or if they fit with GS air cleaner? I've reaed some about it and they seem to have a good following and reliability record.

5) timing: I'll try to check timing this week. I could check my engine build sheet but would rather check it.
    thanks again guys.
    Brad

Got my first chance to test pure highway mpg with the FiTech yesterday. 13mpg. Previous with carb was 11mpg. Good stuff.
    Eric B

Quote Originally Posted by real82it View Post
    Got my first chance to test pure highway mpg with the FiTech yesterday. 13mpg. Previous with carb was 11mpg. Good stuff.

That's actually pretty awesome, that is tick over an 18% increase! A lot better than 2 mpg sounds. This means if you could of went 250 miles on one tank, now you can go 295 miles on one tank of fuel! 18 more miles per 100 that you drive, not to shabby, the FITech will pay for its self in no time.

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

I have a new/old issue about the temperature measurement with the FiTech unit. Last week I had a head crack (nothing to do with the FiTEch) and the motor overheated. My mechanical gauge showed the overheating and the Fitech did not. Gauge was at 230 and rising, controller was showing 175. Have heard others saying the FiTech reads 20 degrees low. This is much worse.
    Doug Gorton
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sailbrd View Post
    I have a new/old issue about the temperature measurement with the FiTech unit. Last week I had a head crack (nothing to do with the FiTEch) and the motor overheated. My mechanical gauge showed the overheating and the Fitech did not. Gauge was at 230 and rising, controller was showing 175. Have heard others saying the FiTech reads 20 degrees low. This is much worse.
    That REALLY sucks, I'll have to watch mine closer because mine reads way lower than the mechanical as well. When i first noticed the difference between the 2 I checked the intake temp at the sensors with my IR gun and the fitech temp was very close to that reading so I assumed that my mechanical was reading high. I'll check more places on the engine just to compare.

We had a car cruise last weekend with a few buddies. with a fair amount of back road cruising at 40-60mph a few burnouts and about 7-8 miles of very spirited corner to corner action in the 100+ MPH range, I flled up the tank and averaged 15 MPG. I had never gotten 10 before.

The efi system seem to be a good thing and I'm very interested.

But one question is not clear, the throttle body size. The meanstreet supports 800 hp with 8 injectors and is rated at 850 cfm.
    But an 850 cfm carb is right for a mild 455 but never enough to feed a 600+ hp engine, why are these EFI units rated @ 800 hp with just 850cfm On their homepage the say just the injector size is the limiting factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robs455 View Post
    The efi system seem to be a good thing and I'm very interested.

But one question is not clear, the throttle body size. The meanstreet supports 800 hp with 8 injectors and is rated at 850 cfm.
    But an 850 cfm carb is right for a mild 455 but never enough to feed a 600+ hp engine, why are these EFI units rated @ 800 hp with just 850cfm On their homepage the say just the injector size is the limiting factor.
    cfm ratings are way over rated. It all depends on how the rating was determined. There is no consistent standard for doing this. When I was running Holley carbs I tried an 830, 850, and two 950's. On of the 950's was worked on a bit. The 830 was a circle track carb. Not enough difference in them to spit at. The two best were the 830 and worked on 950. Both pulled the same 112 mph trap speeds.

The best way to find out if the throttle body has enough flow is with a vacuum gauge. If you are seeing 0 inches of vac at WOT the body is flow all that it can.

My point would be that the cfm number is very rough guide to the airflow your motor needs.
    Doug Gorton
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1138...78838/?fref=nf

FiTech facebook page linked above is quickly becoming the best source of info on these systems.

Word of warning, you will have to wade through a bunch of the same questions over and over and OVER again to find whatever you are looking for.
    Ken Warner

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Warner View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1138...78838/?fref=nf

FiTech facebook page linked above is quickly becoming the best source of info on these systems.

Word of warning, you will have to wade through a bunch of the same questions over and over and OVER again to find whatever you are looking for.
    Just the nature of facebook. What is really needed is a web site. Harder to get started but would be so much better. Someone could make a few bucks on this.
    Doug Gorton
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011