Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: FI Tech "Go EFI 4" Self Tuning Throttle Body Injection Install Thread

FI-Tech guys said there is a check valve in the can. Under the right conditions they can stick and cause the condition you are describing. (I even sent the guy a link to this thread) They have recently changed the design and from what I saw you can pull it right out of the top of the can and drop the new one back in. Should take all of 2 minutes.
    Ken Warner

1970 GS 455 With Trishield 470 BBB, TA Stage-1 SE heads, TRI-Shield spec roller cam, FiTech EFI, Extreme Automatics Stage III TH200-4R and now a 3.90 rear gear!

Default Re: FI Tech "Go EFI 4" Self Tuning Throttle Body Injection Install Thread

Pulled intake today. Failed intake gasket on passenger rear coolant port. (Fel Pro performance 1357). Per instruction from Fel pro, builder used no sealant on ports (bad decision in my opinion). Put about 1.5 gallons of coolant total into motor. Sent pics to builder. Not sure if any additional damage done to bearings. Waiting response.

Last edited by real82it; 03-06-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Eric B

1972 GS 350 4sp Convertible (running 455)
    1972 GS 350 Hardtop (running 455)
    1971 Olds Cutlass - turbo LS conversion - project underway!
    1995 Trans Am - Supercharged and FAST
    1997 Chevy 3500 Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Warner View Post
    FI-Tech guys said there is a check valve in the can. Under the right conditions they can stick and cause the condition you are describing. (I even sent the guy a link to this thread) They have recently changed the design and from what I saw you can pull it right out of the top of the can and drop the new one back in. Should take all of 2 minutes.
    Awesome. Thanks. I will call them tomorrow.
    Eric B

Well that sucks pond water. But there could be no harm from this. My ski boat (351 Ford)once started running rough. So started going through diagnostics and determined that #3 was not firing. Pulled the spark plug and cranked the motor to see if plug was firing. Well the plug fired but the real problem was that clear water shot out of the plug hole! Pulled the dipstick and saw the milkshake. Pulled the exhaust manifold and found that the water jacket had cracked and was pumping water into the cylinder. Pulled the head and #3 exhaust valve was so bad it would not seal (thus preventing hydro lock) and top of piston looked brand new. So what does this have to do with your problem?

When the head was being redone I started flushing the oiling system. Set up the oil priming system and used a remote filter adaptor so I can attach a hose for oil to be pumped out. Got some Seafoam and 3 gallons of oil and used the oil pump to pump this mixture through the motor. Put the thing back together with new manifolds and started it up. Been running for 10 years now. Moral of the story? There is a good chance you have no damage from what happened to your motor.

If it was my Buick would definitely take a look at a couple of bearings to be sure they are ok but expect that there could be no problems.

As far as sealant on the gasket I always use sealant around the water ports with that gasket. Don't see how it could hurt anything. Good luck and hope it gets well soon.
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Quote Originally Posted by real82it View Post
    Pulled intake today. Failed intake gasket on passenger rear coolant port. (Fel Pro performance 1357). Per instruction from Fel pro, builder used no sealant on intake ports (bad decision in my opinion). Put about 1.5 gallons of coolant total into motor. Sent pics to builder. Not sure if any additional damage done to bearings. Waiting response.

I am NOT impressed with the Felpro gaskets. I used the same ones on my Skylark when I put the engine back together a few months ago and there was coolant puddling up on TOP of the head/intake gasket surface on both sides until I dropped a few tablets of cooling system sealant in it which seemed to cure it. I have not noticed any leakage into the crank case, from the dipstick or the catch can from the crankcase vacuum system.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=208168
    My Pontiac OHC Six thread.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219250

I'm just a regular guy that fuel injected an old Buick and Thunderbird.

Called FI Tech yesterday. They explained that some earlier units have an issue with the check ball getting stuck in the vent system. They also said if the vent line is pressurized from the gas tank side too much the check ball can become lodged and prevent flow from the mech fuel pump. (This is what I suspected happened). They suggested I install a one way check valve in line (HA HA, I will use the one I ordered in after all!). They also suggested if the fuel pressure issue persists after that to test the check ball by inserting a 2.5 inch piece of wire into vent port. Secure it by bending end over port edge and reattach the hose. This is supposed to prevent check ball from becoming lodged. If this solves problem they said I will have to send the fuel command center back to them so they can install the new style vent tube/check ball and test it to make sure it functions properly.

I am not 100% convinced a sticky check ball is my problem, but have been wrong many times before.

I should have the car back up and running early next week. Engine builder said to put back together, change filter, flush with new oil for 15-20 mins at temp, change oil and filter again. Will check filters and strain oil to check for any signs of metal. Assuming no metal is found after my oil/flush and filter changes, I will report back in on fuel pressure issue resolution.
    Eric B

Dang, how much harder is it really to just get an EFI fuel tank in it after all these issues?! That's what I will be doing after reading all this.
    Andy
    -------------

1969 Buick Sport Wagon 400 .....14.14@99 best, non-posi
    1972 Datsun 1200 Coupe ...... Just dyno'd 285 rwhp!

In your position I'd definitely get a quality oil analysis from a reliable lab to check for wear metals, etc. It's the only way to REALLY know what's going on.

CAT has a lab in most locations but there are others out there as well. If you can find a dealer for Wear Check they are an excellent lab.
    Gary Fanning
    BPG #1011
    '70 GS Stage 1 12.61/108
    BQUICK
    Extreme Duty Filtration - Authorized Distributor: Kleenoil Bypass Oil Filters & Power Up Performance Lubricants.
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by afracer View Post
    Dang, how much harder is it really to just get an EFI fuel tank in it after all these issues?! That's what I will be doing after reading all this.
    im just going to use a late model b body tank when I get to that point
    66 skylark 2 dr hartop...... in progression
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v237/nekkidhillbilly/

Quote Originally Posted by afracer View Post
    I bought an Aeromotive Stealth unit, cut a hole in the tank, dropped it in and it's been working perfectly. Costs a little more than the sump systems but worth it in my opinion.
    64 Skylark Convertible
    462 w/ Stage 2 heads, TA 212 cam, B4B intake
    TKO600
    3.73 12 Bolt w/ TruTrac and Moser axles

I have an aeromotive stealth tank as well. Comes powder coated and baffled already and the pump is so quiet you can barely hear it even when the engine isn't running
    Jacob
    72 Skylark with rebuilt Buick 355. 8.5:1 JE pistons. TA 1.60 roller rockers, roller cam and lifters.
    TA SP3 Intake converted to Holley HP MPFI with 66lb injectors
    Chevy 12 bolt 4.11 gears
    TA 1 5/8" headers
    Extreme Automatics Stage II 200-4r Extreme Automatics 2600rpm 9.5" converter
    Coil near plug ignition, GN cam sensor, 36-1 crank trigger.
    Front and rear disc brake conversion, Rear sway bar, boxed lower rear control arms
    17x8 and 17x9 Year one Magnum wheels. 285/40/17 rear tires.

I think a junk b body tank and pump would support the tbi fine and would be almost nothing to buy and you could buy parts anywhere. That's why I mentioned it. To me the sump system is just extra stuff. The aeromotive setup or oem setups would be a better idea imo.
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit

why not leave the ball out if you have a pronlem? if you roll your ride over it would just pump the fuel back to the tank through the vent line?

Quote Originally Posted by imac61 View Post
    why not leave the ball out if you have a pronlem? if you roll your ride over it would just pump the fuel back to the tank through the vent line?
    For reference, I don't have any check valves on the surge tanks I've made.
    The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=208168
    My Pontiac OHC Six thread.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219250

I'm just a regular guy that fuel injected an old Buick and Thunderbird.

Car is back! Leaky intake gasket fixed. No signs of metal in the oil. I was able to test a replacement fuel pump.......car ran perfect through 5500 rpm...no hesitation, no stall. I guess the Robb MC pump did fail. I will send it back for a rebuild. As a result I never troubleshot to see if I had a check all issue or installed the check valve....all seems fine after fuel pump replacement.

Test drive today was a blast! Still blown away with how good the throttle response is. My problem now is traction! Any full throttle romp at 30 mph or below results in spinning tires. I have never done 30mph rolling burn outs where I start to get side ways in a naturally aspirated car.....fun stuff
    Last edited by real82it; 12-25-2015 at 11:49 PM.
    Eric B

You were using a mechanical pump with EFI?

Quote Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
    You were using a mechanical pump with EFI?
    yes and no. the sump setup fi and holley sells works similar to a lift pump on a diesel. it takes the low pressure mech pumps feed and dumps it into a sump then high pressurizes it to feed efi. it designed for people who truly want a bolt on efi system.
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit

Great thread. I just recived my fitech. I went with the mean street good to 200- 800 hp and comand center center should cover all my hp needs and any in the future thanks again i have been looking for a actual install post
    Thank you
    72 GS 755 4sp my first Buick Sure do miss Her
    72 GS 455 / GSX CLONE 8 year restomod ! Custom paint , 455 .30 over , TA Performance 413 cam , performer intake QJet by John Osborne , Kb 2 'Pulse headers , 3' x pipe exaust Th 400 Sp 3200 High stall PAE converter Cast 70 Stage 1 heads worked , 3:42 posi Cant beleive it is almost done ,If there is such a thing

I want to go with one of these soon. My question is if you can lock in a tune or will it always be self tuning/adjusting? There are disadvantages of an always adjusting system, such as if you develop an issue like a vacuum leak or injector going bad, etc, you'd never see the issue present itself in the AFR's really to know that something is up.
    Andy
    -------------

1969 Buick Sport Wagon 400 .....14.14@99 best, non-posi
    1972 Datsun 1200 Coupe ...... Just dyno'd 285 rwhp!

Quote Originally Posted by real82it View Post
    I will start with the good. Took my first test drive today with the unit installed and was extremely impressed. Idle was smooth, acceleration was crisp, and the unit seen perform great from the very beginning. As the unit continued to learn it drove even better! Very smooth acceleration. I also noticed that my switch pitch in low stall behaved much better. The car no longer seemed like it wanted to die in low stall at a stop when idling in gear. I was extremely happy until I got home and tried to move the car into the garage.

When I did and backed the car up I noticed fluid pouring out from underneath the car! I shut the car off and opened the hood to find gasoline everywhere! And I mean everywhere. There had to be a gallon of gas in the engine compartment.

The high pressure side line after the fuel filter but before the throttle body had burst and was squirting a half inch stream of fuel onto my engine and all over my engine compartment. I can't stress how lucky I am the car did not catch on fire. I think the only thing that saved me was the fact it had cooled down since the test drive earlier in the day.

....DO NOT USE their supplied fuel line if it is not Russell branded line. I am lucky my car is not a pile of ashes right now. I believe I received an older unit with their previous suppliers fuel line (based on a conversation with them last week). I had called them asking to see if I could get some more of the same type of fuel line that I had received my kit. They indicated the fuel line I had was probably the old-style and all their new kits were shipped with Russell branded fuel line with the larger weave on the outside of the fuel line. I think I understand why they changed suppliers now! That stuff dissolved and blew a hole within 10 miles of me driving the car! I am extremely lucky my car did not catch on fire. The bad news is that most of my freshly refinished engine compartment now gets to be re-done! The paint is spotted and damaged from all the gasoline! I am pissed off.....but also thankful the fire department was not involved. Here is a picture of a portion of the fuel line they supplied with the area that burst towards the bottom of the photo. The rest was an area I cut to inspect more of the line.

Even worse, once I looked at the line I found it it was actually disintegrating! It was very gummy and falling apart! After only a few minutes of use!!!! absolutely unacceptable. I will be calling them on Monday to see what they say. Stay tuned.
    I dont use any type of rubber fuel line or p/s hose. Only braded SS tfe hose and fittings never had a problem not real expensive and lasts
    72 GS 455 / GSX CLONE 8 year restomod ! Custom paint , 455 .30 over , TA Performance 413 cam , performer intake QJet by John Osborne , Kb 2 'Pulse headers , 3' x pipe exaust Th 400 Sp 3200 High stall PAE converter Cast 70 Stage 1 heads worked , 3:42 posi Cant beleive it is almost done ,If there is such a thing

Here is a great FiTech install/review over on Chevelles.com.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...-w-pics-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by GSX1 View Post
    I dont use any type of rubber fuel line or p/s hose. Only braded SS tfe hose and fittings never had a problem not real expensive and lasts
    Is that "tfe" Teflon? I use SS Teflon with an additional RTPE coating over the SS for our bypass oil filter kits. Was considering using the same hose for the FI kit I'll be ordering soon. What is the ID on the hoses from the factory?
    Gary Fanning
    BPG #1011
    '70 GS Stage 1 12.61/108
    BQUICK
    Extreme Duty Filtration - Authorized Distributor: Kleenoil Bypass Oil Filters & Power Up Performance Lubricants.

Quote Originally Posted by NOTNSS View Post
    Is that "tfe" Teflon? I use SS Teflon with an additional RTPE coating over the SS for our bypass oil filter kits. Was considering using the same hose for the FI kit I'll be ordering soon. What is the ID on the hoses from the factory?
    My fuel system is all SS Teflon. Do it once and forget it.
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sailbrd View Post
    My fuel system is all SS Teflon. Do it once and forget it.
    Diameter?
    Gary Fanning
    BPG #1011
    '70 GS Stage 1 12.61/108
    BQUICK

not sure about the factory hose believe it is 3/8 An-6 that's what I run yes tfe is ss Teflon lined hose

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast