Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Found a 1969 GS400 body in pieces but no engine.

Hi I have not posted here too often. I was recently helping my wife deal with her grandfathers affairs and we were just opening his storage containers to see what to do with the items. One of the containers had a buick in pieces. I do have a 69 Skylark custom so I immediately figured out what it was. I checked the vin and found out that its actually a GS400 convertible. I don't see any other identifying tags on the car. Although I have not looked in all the boxes yet. Don't have the motor or title though. I would love to put this car on the road, especially if it's a stage 1 (highly unlikely but it helps to dream). Don't know if this is the proper place to post this thread also. So I apologize if it's not. Hence I need a date correct engine and help to see how I can register this car. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Also the vin on the car is 446679H156190. I am located in central California.

Default Re: Found a 1969 GS400 body in pieces but no engine.

Unless it matters to you, a date code matching engine is going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth to find. If it were mine I'd put a mild 455 in there with non-smog heads and intake, use a short shaft t400 and a '71 up 8.5 rear end. That said you need first to find out what California requires to register the car--paperwork proving it's yours, a state inspection of the body, VIN, and trim tags, and no telling what else. I would ask a knowledgeable person first before letting anyone from the state see it. Things like VIN tags that aren't attached can't be 'unseen', so be sure it's ready to be inspected before it is. Cross all the t's, dot the i's, and don't forget the lower case j's.
    Patrick

Default Re: Found a 1969 GS400 body in pieces but no engine.

Quote Originally Posted by pbr400 View Post
    Unless it matters to you, a date code matching engine is going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth to find. If it were mine I'd put a mild 455 in there with non-smog heads and intake, use a short shaft t400 and a '71 up 8.5 rear end. That said you need first to find out what California requires to register the car--paperwork proving it's yours, a state inspection of the body, VIN, and trim tags, and no telling what else. I would ask a knowledgeable person first before letting anyone from the state see it. Things like VIN tags that aren't attached can't be 'unseen', so be sure it's ready to be inspected before it is. Cross all the t's, dot the i's, and don't forget the lower case j's.
    Patrick

Thanks for the response Patrick. The vin is actually on the car. I actually do have a 455 engine so thats good. Your correct, I have to carefully ask around about registering this car without actually asking a DMV person.