Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default ***Buick 350 Alum Heads Update***

Hi guys and gals, just wanted to let you know about the latest info about the Alum Buick 350 heads.

The following is a quote from Sherry at TA:

the prototype castings are on their way to us right now, then we will need to program the cncs for machining and then done!

Regards,

Sherri
    TA Performance Products
    16167 N 81 St
    Scottsdale, AZ 85260
    480-922-6807
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Default Re: ***Buick 350 Alum Heads Update***

Sean, That's good news from T/A!

Got your good engine with the Billet crank ready to drop those babies on don't you? You ARE getting the first set aren't you?
    Roller cam vid....
    https://youtu.be/XOOTINTA1DA
    Another vid, this May.....
    https://youtu.be/0v0TgH4cTPc

71 GS 350, 2004r, JW 3,200 stall, TRW Forged .030, Ported T/A intake, 830HP Holley , Hooker supers, 2-1/2" Amer.Thunder thru N25's, 410 posi, F41, Full MSD ign. T/A Roller Cam,1.6 roller rockers, big valves, bronze guides,& fully ported heads. Fun street car. Platnum mist with blk. top and interior. Owned it since '76.

Marty.

What's a ballpark number for these?

We still don't know valve sizes, port size, chamber volume, set up for sbc roller rockers, single springs, double springs, triple springs, .......and price guesstimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Sean, That's good news from T/A!

Got your good engine with the Billet crank ready to drop those babies on don't you? You ARE getting the first set aren't you?
    Yes I have the girdled billet crank engine ready for the heads, will still take some time to get the heads fully ported and then dyno the engine NA before putting it in the car. Might dyno it also with a Gt45 turbo and also with my big 88mm turbo before it goes in the car. Need the head flow data before I can order a custom cam. I should get the first set of heads they sell but I am not getting the prototype heads they have someone else to test them.

The head is a closed chamber design, about 55cc, and those are the only real things I care about. My Ta roller rockers will fit for sure and I don't care how much they cost personally. Ta will let us know soon.

Another great piece of info is that Scott brown is going to offer a $1100 CNC porting option for the heads, but I am using Chris Skaling becuase he can keep working for more flow instead of the cookie cutter CNC deal.. The good news is the CNC option will be repeatable so I might just buy a second set of heads and have them CNC ported and see what makes more power??? Hand ported or CNC??
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

Another great piece of info is that Scott brown is going to offer a $1100 CNC porting option for the heads, but I am using Chris Skaling becuase he can keep working for more flow instead of the cookie cutter CNC deal.. The good news is the CNC option will be repeatable so I might just buy a second set of heads and have them CNC ported and see what makes more power??? Hand ported or CNC??
    Brodix heads with cnc ports look real nice!
    Roller cam vid....

71 GS 350, 2004r, JW 3,200 stall, TRW Forged .030, Ported T/A intake, 830HP Holley , Hooker supers, 2-1/2" Amer.Thunder thru N25's, 410 posi, F41, Full MSD ign. T/A Roller Cam,1.6 roller rockers, big valves, bronze guides,& fully ported heads. Fun street car. Platnum mist with blk. top and interior. Owned it since '76.

Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Brodix heads with cnc ports look real nice!
    There is no doubt that the CNC head porting is a great option, the only real question is do you want a cookie cutter porting job or the custom porting that can be done by hand...

I could have the CNC porting done and then have hand porting done to look for the last little bit of flow although I am not sure that a real head porting pro would appreciate starting from anything other than a clean slate though.

Repeatability is the huge advantage of the CNC, and the artistic freedom is the advantage to the hand porting.

I hope they are not the same price as the parts for my iron heads or I will hate myself for being impatient lol

CNC porting also relies on the skill of the machine operator...
    Brian
    San Antonio, TX

1970 Buick Skylark Custom Convertible
    1970 Buick GS 455 Convertible(project)
    1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe
    1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by j maple View Post
    I hope they are not the same price as the parts for my iron heads or I will hate myself for being impatient lol
    I don't think the alum heads will cost less than a set of iron heads rebuilt with oversized valves but they may cost less than pro ported versions...

They will be less prone to cracking, more room for porting, lighter, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sean Buick 76 View Post
    I don't think the alum heads will cost less than a set of iron heads rebuilt with oversized valves but they may cost less than pro ported versions...

And hopefully flow a ton more air right out of the box without porting!

Damn!!!! So much want......

Quote Originally Posted by Extended Power View Post
    And hopefully flow a ton more air right out of the box without porting!

Damn!!!! So much want......
    Call and make a deposit, I know once they get them they will sell quick and it might be a while till they make more runs of them.

Call and make a deposit, I know once they get them they will sell quick and it might be a while till they make more runs of them.
    Called them and put my deposit down on a set.
    Disappointed that they don't know anything about them though.

Called them and put my deposit down on a set.
    Disappointed that they don't know anything about them though.
    Maybe not all of the employees know the specs but list your questions and I will ask mike Jr directly next time I talk to him.

In support of TA. All the specs in the world will become meaning less until you get the prototype set up and bolted on a block, then on a dyno, then on the track. I could have given out the specs on our 455 race head and gone ahead with the production runů.. but we sent a partial test head to Al Dicksen and he caught some port to bowl misalignment. I don't think everyone would want to pay to have a head porter fix a problem that we fixed at no cost. We all want to spend our money on something that works out of the box and then up grade if we want more! None of us wants to wait, but that is the right thing to do at this point.

Yes they will lol and I will have a set with the sp3 and either fuel injection or a double pumper but I can wait for the test and tune and save my money for them when the time comes

It's a BIG day for all the 350 Buick folks and more, received the first 350 cylinder head castings on Friday 8. I will have Michael post a few pictures as soon as I can. Remember they will look much nicer after there machined. The thing is, they exist, no longer just talk. I'm kinda excited myself.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    TA Performance Products Inc.
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

Quote Originally Posted by TA Perf View Post
    It's a BIG day for all the 350 Buick folks and more, received the first 350 cylinder head castings on Friday 8. I will have Michael post a few pictures as soon as I can. Remember they will look much nicer after there machined. The thing is, they exist, no longer just talk. I'm kinda excited myself.
    WwwwoooooooHooooo!!!!,

WwwwoooooooHooooo!!!!,
    Nice
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

Buick 350 Inspirational members to me..
    TuBBeD for his 551+ N/A build
    BillMah52 First to take a 350 where no man has gone before
    Justa350 First to hang a pair of turbos and cause Kaos
    GSJohnny First to max out the bore at .090 and his .075 and have engines that actually breath well N/A!
    Bobb Makley First well known to Stroke a 350
    Ken Betts, Hopefully the guy to pull-off 350 AL heads :-D

Quote Originally Posted by TA Perf View Post
    Awesome!!! The timing cannot be better my girdled, billet crank short block is ready to go! This is fantastic! How many heads did you have made to start? Just a few to wait to see if the castings are okay?

Thank you again for making another part for the 350. Take your time and make it a game changer. This has been a long time coming.

Rock on
    Guy
    Bu Hogs Rock by Guy

355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    11.81@114 mph 125 shot nitrous
    12.42 @105 mph 75 shot
    200-4r trans 3000 stall 373 gears
    H-O Racing suspension
    Mid 12 sec Nitrous run 80 hp shot https://youtu.be/49JqjgpygUQ

With 350 trans 11.87@112, 125 shot nitrous 3500 stall
    With 200-4r trans 11.81 @ 114 Same shot 3000 stall w/lockup
    417hp 463tq rwhp w/125 nitrous shot. On motor 284 hp 310 tq. rwp

I might have to build a small block car in the near future. I'll be following Sean and others builds. Exciting times in the Buick community for sure!
    Cliff
    Current Buicks
    1963 Riviera
    1972 Skylark
    Previous Buicks
    1964 Riviera
    1969 Wildcat 2Dr Coupe W/Buckets and full console
    1968 Wildcat 4Dr Donor car
    Previous other
    1974 Trans am
    1977 Trans am
    1974 Charger

Since its has to be machined having 2 size chamber options cnc machined would be a great choice . For the lower compression guys to get a bump along with airflow.
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster possibly a 380 stroker.
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25

Mike sent me the pic of the head, it's great to see it for real finally!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alec296 View Post
    Since its has to be machined having 2 size chamber options cnc machined would be a great choice . For the lower compression guys to get a bump along with airflow.
    Yes, and I am hoping that they casted the heads so that they can be machined like the stage 2 heads as well with a sbc header bolt pattern option for finding headers fast that would fit very easily with very little or even no mods using the Chevy sister car application would be very cool! That would help to be able to install a sbb in other vehicles that never came with a sbb 350, like say a Chevy PU truck or perhaps an S-10 instead of doing the typical heavy sbc conversion because the aluminum headed and intake sbb 350 will weigh around 100 lbs less than a similarly equipped sbc engine.

A stage 2 version sbb head should help exhaust flow like the BBB counterpart does. That would be very helpful for the higher performance builds. I have written this years earlier, just hope that TA read what I wrote and are planning to be able to machine a stage 2 version from the same casting?

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

Mike sent me the pic of the head, it's great to see it for real finally!!!!
    Will Mike not let you post it?
    Roller cam vid....

Marty.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast