Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: ***Buick 350 Alum Heads Update***

Sean,
    Wow, thanks for posting that valve layout drawing I sent you. Folks, the NEW TA 350 head valve angle is not 13' it's 12' degree. I have 13 degree in my mind because our Rover/300 head was changed 13 degree. 350 head ended up at 12 degree. V6 head stayed at 10 degree. Sorry folks for the miss information.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    TA Performance Products Inc.
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

Mike I hope you don't mind that I posted the layout? Let me know and I can delete it if that is an issue? I got the picture from Jay who you sent it to.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

any finished heads to look at yet?

So any idea of pricing on a complete set of the 350 heads? I think I got the green light from the powers that be to put a set on lay a way.

Tim
    1971 Buick Sportwagon 350/4
    2013 Ford Focus ST. factory pro-touring car. " Pugsley"
    2015 Harley Street Glide, 103 CI.

I would just call and ask them...
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

Any updates?
    Any new pictures?

I talked to them yesterday and they said a few more months till they can get the heads machined... THEN let the porting begin!

5 months gone by...whats the dealio?
    72 Buick Rivera GS - 67K original miles
    Engine Build in progress...
    Girdled / Short Filled 455
    Forged Blower Pistons and H-Beam Rods
    ARP main/head studs
    TA 288-96H
    TA Timing Cover w/HD Water Pump
    Self ported big port heads converted to Stage One specs
    200-4R
    MSD 6BTM and MSD Billet Distributor
    Borg Warner S480 75mm Turbo
    Turbosmart Raceport BOV and 60mm Wastegate
    Taurus two speed e-fan, Dakota Digital Controller and alum fan
    Aeromotive fuel system
    Previous Combo best: 7.89@87
    San Diego
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by theone61636 View Post
    5 months gone by...whats the dealio?
    TA has bought a new CNC machine and swapping out caused some delays. It should be a month or so till we have the heads in hand. The only hold up now is one that I anticipated which is there are only a limited number of heads that will be completed in this run and who knows when the next run of heads will be released. This is why I put a deposit down and will buy 2 or 3 sets of heads from the first run.

Cool! What kind of CNC did they get?

Quote Originally Posted by 8ad-f85 View Post
    Cool! What kind of CNC did they get?
    Sorry I do not know any details about the new equipment. They were saying that their very first machine will be retired and replaced with this one.

Like I have said many times... People who did not get deposits down on the heads may have to wait a LONG time to get heads, as who know when the next run will be made. TA never asked for deposits but how else can you hold your place in line?

Quote Originally Posted by sean Buick 76 View Post
    Sorry I do not know any details about the new equipment. They were saying that their very first machine will be retired and replaced with this one.

Like I have said many times... People who did not get deposits down on the heads may have to wait a LONG time to get heads, as who know when the next run will be made. TA never asked for deposits but how else can you hold your place in line?
    If the heads sell out quick then it would be to TA's advantage to do another run to be able to strike while the iron is hot, if not they run the risk of someone going to a sbc platform because of more readily available aftermarket support.

It would also help if the new heads deliver the goods as well, this first run people are going to be watching very closely to see how the engines run with the few people that got heads for the sideline people to decide if in they are worth the $$ to them to spend on a sbb 350. We'll see, until then its hurry up and wait for the next delay!

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway

I think the reason they are not doing a huge run to start is because there will be slight revisions needed to improve the design. Ta has always been really good about revising the designs to improve them as they go....

I would not be surprised if there is already a set of heads that are done and on an engine now to test the prototype.... I highly doubt they will release the head till it has been fully tested and approved.... We Know they did this with the SP-3 intake.

We are so close, it is very exciting!!! And once Scotty brown has his CNC porting program sorted out we really will have bolt on performance options. Regardless of how well the heads make power out of the box they are going to be a huge step forward for us. Ta won't release a poor head, it will be awesome!

They were saying that their very first machine will be retired and replaced with this one.

coming from a machining background and just retiring from a machine sale company, a 1 yr machine is out of date, especially a 5 axis machine.
    unless t/a ordered it as a 'plug and play', it will take time to work the programs, tooling and any bugs. there is no sanity claus in the machine trade.

coming from a machining background and just retiring from a machine sale company, a 1 yr machine is out of date, especially a 5 axis machine
    Curious if you still believe this if the company's profitability isn't based on the machine's spindle making chips constantly.

Agreed that new machines can be a long ways away from ready to use.

They may have a new machine, but do they have a person to program it for the heads?
    And how many whoops sees before they get it right?

Quote Originally Posted by 8ad-f85 View Post
    Curious if you still believe this if the company's profitability isn't based on the machine's spindle making chips constantly.

Agreed that new machines can be a long ways away from ready to use.

it all depends what market your in. we have had customers buy 1 machine for a production job. that job will pay for the machine plus. and then sell it or trade it for something else. sounds crazy, but true.
    from my machining days in r&d and experimental which was old school, the new machine capability now is unbelievable. such as 2 spindles and 3 turrets going like hell. the most amazing part of the new machines is the E-stop button. it is there for amusement. why you asked....rapid positioning on some new machines is in excess of 1g or 3000 ipm. you can't think or move that fast to stop an error. we have to bolt the machines down now.

Quote Originally Posted by Extended Power View Post
    They may have a new machine, but do they have a person to program it for the heads?
    And how many whoops sees before they get it right?
    never met a perfect person.........

I have a similar background also and am aware of the rapid traverse speed capability of machines requiring them to be bolted down, as well as how to amortize the costs of new equipment.

I don't agree that in the case of a company like TA, which may not turn spindles 24/7...a new 5 axis machine would be required every year or so to be profitable or to keep from being outdated just do the small runs of parts that they do.

That's why I was curious about what type of machine they got and why it might be contributing to new product delays, other than the normal things that happen when buying such equipment. I would also look forward to knowing what other capabilities they might now have opened up...for general interest.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnny1 View Post
    the most amazing part of the new machines is the E-stop button. it is there for amusement.
    you might save an insert or two, or holder. Maybe.......
    Roller cam vid....
    https://youtu.be/XOOTINTA1DA
    Another vid, this May.....
    https://youtu.be/0v0TgH4cTPc

71 GS 350, 2004r, JW 3,200 stall, TRW Forged .030, Ported T/A intake, 830HP Holley , Hooker supers, 2-1/2" Amer.Thunder thru N25's, 410 posi, F41, Full MSD ign. T/A Roller Cam,1.6 roller rockers, big valves, bronze guides,& fully ported heads. Fun street car. Platnum mist with blk. top and interior. Owned it since '76.

Marty.

^^ True. Your load monitoring is much quicker.

dmg-mori seiki is a high end machine company. they do sell lower end machines for minor stuff. but there are companies more dedicated to automotive machining in the automotive aftermarket. dmg-mori and okuma you would see at the oem like tesla, john deere, ge, s&w, etc. another aspect is the tooling. there is so much new stuff out there. just amazing what there is. then there is the lasers, additive machining which is amazing, 3d stuff, woof. just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    you might save an insert or two, or holder. Maybe.......
    3000 inches per minute say in a 24" area with 2 spindles and 3 turrets running with coolant blasting all over and you can't see a thing is pretty wild.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnny1 View Post
    3000 inches per minute say in a 24" area with 2 spindles and 3 turrets running with coolant blasting all over and you can't see a thing is pretty wild.
    Yep, and then you have a power failure. & cross your fingers!
    Roller cam vid....
    https://youtu.be/XOOTINTA1DA
    Another vid, this May.....
    https://youtu.be/0v0TgH4cTPc

71 GS 350, 2004r, JW 3,200 stall, TRW Forged .030, Ported T/A intake, 830HP Holley , Hooker supers, 2-1/2" Amer.Thunder thru N25's, 410 posi, F41, Full MSD ign. T/A Roller Cam,1.6 roller rockers, big valves, bronze guides,& fully ported heads. Fun street car. Platnum mist with blk. top and interior. Owned it since '76.

Marty.

dmg-mori seiki is a high end machine company. they do sell lower end machines for minor stuff. but there are companies more dedicated to automotive machining in the automotive aftermarket. dmg-mori and okuma you would see at the oem like tesla, john deere, ge, s&w, etc. another aspect is the tooling. there is so much new stuff out there. just amazing what there is. then there is the lasers, additive machining which is amazing, 3d stuff, woof. just too much.
    I'm quite familiar, nice stuff

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast