Hey you guys, I ordered about $700 worth of parts to be delivered on Friday so we could finally put my engine together. When I called Monday and spoke with you guys I was told I could order on Tuesday and still get the stuff Friday as he looked at the UPS map as well and saw what I did. Now, this morning I check the tracking number and scheduled delivery of Tuesday. Now, when I called there was going to be money left over and the decision was made to leave it in house if that was the case just so long as I got what I needed Friday. There has got to be something we can do. I know that you can intercept and re route etc and I will be more than glad to pay as I wanted to originally. Based on the information at hand a decision was made and now I am paying a guy to come work and paid extra shipping on other things just to have them here for the long weekend. I even overdrafted my account which I didn't need to do if the parts were going to be here for the next week. I am begging, I am actually on my knee you just can't see it right now. I accept full responsibility, but I need a miracle!
I am sorry to try to contact through here, but I am at work and cannot call. The order was sent to Cincinnati and has a tracking number of: