Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default 1967 GS radiator top plate/bracket differences

My 5th week of March 67 GS400 manufactured in Baltimore has a top radiator cover/plate that houses the rubber saddles is different than most of the cars that I see restored on the internet. My saddles rubber nubs that locate the rubber saddle are splayed on the leading and trailing edge of the saddle mount and on a 45 degree angle. The hole spacing is 3.5” apart. Most shrouds I have seen, the nubs are straight up. I also saw a 66 GS401 with the same type my car has. How many of you have noticed this and if so know what the difference is and why?
    I have always heard that the upper large radiator tank saddle mounts aren’t reproduced for these cars but Cars (Buick Parts) lists a mount for 65-66 GS/Skylark that I think might work for my car. See the below pics below as examples.
    Splayed nub rad mounts.jpgStraight nub rad mounts.jpg
    Craig Likon
    1967 Turquoise GS400 ST400 Sport Coupe
    Cocoa Fl.

Default Re: 1967 GS radiator top plate/bracket differences

I didn't know there was 2 different styles like that. My Flint built car has the nubs straight up. I have another spare plate that I believe are also straight up. I'll have to double check.
    Nick

'67 GS 400 HT (a work in progress, almost done)(yeah right!)

My Garage........... http://www.v8buick.com/garage_vehicl...vehicle&id=840

That's weird...I have never seen that before. The nubs in my car point straight up. My car was built in Flint.
    Stacey

BCA 47171
    61 LeSabre Bubbletop
    62 Skylark Convertible
    65 Gran Sport Hardtop
    67 GS 400 Convertible
    70 GS Stage 1 project

I just looked at a members beautiful Red 65 GS and his plate was like mine and the 66 I saw. I wonder if it was a production change or a manufacturer source difference. My car isn't that early a car (March of 67) so I don't think it would be a 66-67 part surplus run over. But one never knows. The Baltimore plant produced Buicks, Pontiacs, Olds and Chevy's all on the same line after 64 so part bens could have had irregular carryovers.

"Although Chevrolet cars and trucks had represented the largest portion of the Baltimore plant's production, other car lines also have been manufactured. The versatility of the plant was tested in 1964 when Buicks, Chevrolets, Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs were assembled one after another on the same passenger car line. In the ensuing years, the number of car lines produced has changed several times. GMC Truck and Coach Division shared Baltimore's truck production as early as the 1947 model year."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Assembly
    Craig Likon
    Cocoa Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by ctlikon View Post
    The Baltimore plant produced Buicks, Pontiacs, Olds and Chevy's all on the same line after 64 so part bens could have had irregular carryovers.

[/url]
    The top plate on our cars are a Buick only item as far as I can tell. I'm not sure about Olds but Pontiac and Chevy definitely didn't use that plate in '67.
    Nick

'67 GS 400 HT (a work in progress, almost done)(yeah right!)

My Garage........... http://www.v8buick.com/garage_vehicl...vehicle&id=840

Yes, it was a different part number for 1967. I don't understand why they made the change, it seems insignificant.

The rubber insulators are made by Steele Rubber. CARS sells their products at a slight discount. Steele might have a better picture on their site, take a look.
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

Thumbs up Re: 1967 GS radiator top plate/bracket differences

"The top plate on our cars are a Buick only item as far as I can tell. I'm not sure about Olds but Pontiac and Chevy definitely didn't use that plate in '67. "

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that they used the same part, just that the unconventional production setup might have caused a few logistical issues.

"The rubber insulators are made by Steele Rubber. CARS sells their products at a slight discount. Steele might have a better picture on their site, take a look. "

Thanks, Here is what I believe is the correct part at Steele Rubber. http://www.steelerubber.com/radiator...ion-70-2050-31
    Craig Likon
    Cocoa Fl.

Ttt.
    So, did anyone ever verify if Steele 70-2050-31 is the correct part for those of us with rad top plate insulators with the splayed nubs? I think my lowers that are mounted in brackets looks like they use the same ones.

My car never came with this top plate or lower insulators for the 4 row rad. I bought them from different V8Buick members. Mine is a 455 transplant.

Thanks.
    Jim F
    66 Skylark, 85 GN