I wasn't quite sure where to post this question, so I thought I'd start here. The wagon (1970 Estate, 455) started making a noise about a week ago, and I'm having some trouble finding the source. I thought someone here might have some ideas.
Here's what I know about the noise:
- the noise is a clicking sound
- the noise is intermittent: some trips it doesn't start at all, but once it starts on any given trip it doesn't stop
- if the noise starts, it starts when the engine is warm, usually at 60+mph
- the clicking speeds up/slows down with the gas pedal. this is true whether the car is in drive or neutral
- sound seems to be coming from the front right of the engine.
Here's what I have checked so far:
- I have revved the engine in neutral. The clicking accelerated just as it did when I was on the freeway.
- Checked the fan for wobble. It doesn't have excessive lateral play.
- Checked the belts. No visible deterioration, tension is good.
- I don't have a stethoscope, but I used a dowel to listen to the A/C compressor and alternator. Didn't hear anything remarkable.
So there you go. Be glad for any thoughts. What else should I check (or re-check)?