Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 36 of 36
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Pine City, MN
    Posts
    9,654

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Guy is right.. depending on which pump you use, some clearance grinding on the front of the block will be required. Remember, the Alum block is considerably thicker than the cast iron one.

    I do believe that Johnson was using my pump on this block.

    I can take a pic for you later, if your really worried about it. I don't recall it being a big deal.

    JW
    Owner/operator

    Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

    Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Abraham Lincoln
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mosinee Wi.
    Posts
    2,563

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Quote Originally Posted by staged67gspwr View Post
    if you get the block with standard buick cam you can use the fuel pump i believe.
    And that is what Dave ran it with at the time... stock Buick cam size.

    I did have him bore it to the ford 94mm size when I purchased it, but that is irrelevant.
    70 GSX clone race car 10.58@126
    70 stage 2 (real) KenneBell test car that Pop raced.
    70 Skylark 12,400 miles rust free
    70 stage 1 will be restored

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,298

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Weise View Post
    Guy is right.. depending on which pump you use, some clearance grinding on the front of the block will be required. Remember, the Alum block is considerably thicker than the cast iron one.

    I do believe that Johnson was using my pump on this block.

    I can take a pic for you later, if your really worried about it. I don't recall it being a big deal.

    JW
    Can you please jim id appreciate it
    George



    "If ur going to beat a Hemi you better have a Buick"

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,298

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Hey jim can you post that pic for us?
    George



    "If ur going to beat a Hemi you better have a Buick"

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,298

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Hey Jim got any pumps in stock id like to buy one please let me know
    George



    "If ur going to beat a Hemi you better have a Buick"

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Scottsdale AZ
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Folk's, a mechanical fuel pump will not fit the TA aluminum Tomahawk block with out modification. I screwed up. The stock block on the driver side front corner is not squared like the Tomahawk. I missed it. We added extra bolt holes for engine plates, pumps etc. Never realized that that area of the block provided clearance for the fuel pump. Just look at your stock engines and you will see where the fuel pump lays. I know Jim Rogers ground clearance into his Tomahawk for a fuel pump to clear, but he was also prepared to weld if he broke into the water jacket. If clearance is machined into the block I'm pretty sure we may loose one of the bolt holes. I am looking into this for George, I need to figure out how close to the water jacket its getting. Believe me, I'm disappointing in myself over this.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    TA Performance Products Inc.
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,298

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Quote Originally Posted by TA Perf View Post
    Folk's, a mechanical fuel pump will not fit the TA aluminum Tomahawk block with out modification. I screwed up. The stock block on the driver side front corner is not squared like the Tomahawk. I missed it. We added extra bolt holes for engine plates, pumps etc. Never realized that that area of the block provided clearance for the fuel pump. Just look at your stock engines and you will see where the fuel pump lays. I know Jim Rogers ground clearance into his Tomahawk for a fuel pump to clear, but he was also prepared to weld if he broke into the water jacket. If clearance is machined into the block I'm pretty sure we may loose one of the bolt holes. I am looking into this for George, I need to figure out how close to the water jacket its getting. Believe me, I'm disappointing in myself over this.
    Mike if you need my fuel pump for mock up let me know ill send it
    George



    "If ur going to beat a Hemi you better have a Buick"

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Eastcoast of Canada
    Posts
    3,199

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Quote Originally Posted by staged67gspwr View Post
    Decided to scrap the whole project due to the wait time of a crankshaft,4 months is ridiculous to have to wait for a crank,im sorry to Mike at TA but this is ridiculous to have to wait this long after theres availability of blocks,pistons,rods etc.what happens if something breaks??wait another 4 months? No F way!buicks suck!
    Its a bad way to make a living. Everyone has huge waits for parts, machine shops etc.
    70 stage1 clone 464 iron STG1 heads, 4.11 gears 10 10.17@129.8
    72 GS LS gone BBB going back in! Went 9.93 with BBB power
    GSX clone 462 9.3:1, STG2se 3.73, 11.0s 439.39 RWHP/437.99 TQ
    69 2dr Wildcat red, with white int and a full load.
    Without data, you're just another guy with an opinion.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,298

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Quote Originally Posted by buicksstage1 View Post
    Its a bad way to make a living. Everyone has huge waits for parts, machine shops etc.
    Crower wont have forgings till after the new year,then 12 weeks from there on and its still not 100%,i understand to wait a couple months but this is tough,and yes it is hard to make a living this way thats why i said buicks suck!
    George



    "If ur going to beat a Hemi you better have a Buick"

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,298

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    Quote Originally Posted by buicksstage1 View Post
    Its a bad way to make a living. Everyone has huge waits for parts, machine shops etc.
    I guess you are probably right and i just get frustrated sometimes thats all i guess waiting for it is the only option
    George



    "If ur going to beat a Hemi you better have a Buick"

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,298

    Default Re: Mechanical fuel pump on tomahawk block

    if anyone possibly isn't in a rush to build there engine till march april and is willing to take mine when its ready i would appreciate that very much if anyone out there has a crank to swap??
    George



    "If ur going to beat a Hemi you better have a Buick"

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. 455 Mechanical fuel pump
    By pwm72 in forum The Bench
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-18-2016, 02:25 PM
  2. BBC Mechanical Fuel pump?
    By 436'd Skylark in forum Street/strip 400/430/455
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2013, 08:08 PM
  3. Fuel Delivery-mechanical fuel pump
    By flatire in forum Street/strip 400/430/455
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
  4. ta mechanical fuel pump
    By Whitedrifter in forum Street/strip 400/430/455
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 04:04 PM
  5. mechanical fuel pump
    By ozzy has t/a in forum The Bench
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 08:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top