Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,772

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by hugger View Post
    If it can't break traction on the street you will probably be in 17's, IE a Long way to go, but like Larry said it wouldn't hurt to know
    it will be interesting to find out. It hustles pretty good once it gets moving.
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

    My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    19,831

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by garybuick View Post
    it will be interesting to find out. It hustles pretty good once it gets moving.
    Are you sure the secondaries are opening up? Maybe the secondary air flap are too tight? Is the primary choke pulloff not "unloading" fast enough? I took mine off and drilled out the restrictor a little bigger. Big difference. What the timing set to? Seems odd. That car should be able to bake the tires into oblivion. Something isn't adjusted right
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675
    "Expert in obsolete technology"

    1968 Riviera GS- some assembly required
    1969 Riviera GS- my first car
    1969 GS-350
    1970 Stage 1 4 speed Aquamist
    1970 GS-455 Bamboo Cream beater
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1972 GS-350
    1970 Stellar Industries vintage go kart

    Deo duce, ferro comitante

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,772

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by buick64203 View Post
    Are you sure the secondaries are opening up? Maybe the secondary air flap are too tight? Is the primary choke pulloff not "unloading" fast enough? I took mine off and drilled out the restrictor a little bigger. Big difference. What the timing set to? Seems odd. That car should be able to bake the tires into oblivion. Something isn't adjusted right
    ya it was terrible when I got the car. Then I set the timing according to Larrys system and used the crane spring kit and adjustable vaccuum advance. No more detonation and pulls pretty good once I get going.. Im not sure about the secondaries. The car was originally 2 bbl. I got a manifold and quadrajet from Ted.I think he said it was from a Riv or gS 1970 codes I looked it up. I rebuilt the carb but never got around to adjusting the secondaries.. Would they even come into play on launch? I think there is even a mechanism to keep them from opening unti the car gets moving.

    Havent checked the pulloff. It is a new one from Cliff. When the engine is warmed up that choke is straight up and down and not moving anywhere.

    Im glad to hear that its not normal for the stock 350 to no be able to break the tires loose. Runs great. Great vaccuum. Great oil pressure. No smoke to speak of at start up or otherwise. 60k documented miles. Custom dual exhaust with resonators. No balance tube. Exhaust manifiolds stock. pretty sure its 3.08 open. TH375B stock. no a/c. 235/70/15 on stock steelies. cooper cobra. Ill do a compression test but I dont see why iit wouldnt be healthy.

    I found a track here
    http://www.bradentonmotorsports.com/...20&%20tune.htm

    It says $15 gate fee and $5 dollars run all night. Is that 15 for the vehicle or for each passenger?
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

    My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,772

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartin View Post
    My car was 447hp at the crank. Mid 13's in August Midwest humidity and heat. Good weather it had a 12 in it but never had a chance.
    did you ever have your car tested on a dyno? or just the engine on a stand? Id be interested to know whats left at the rear wheels from 447hp.
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

    My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,772

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by flynbuick View Post
    https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid.../13/horsepower


    A comment below the article makes a relevant observation:

    "I am a Professional Engine builder by trade and I have done a Ton of Engine dyno then chassis dyno comparrisons(sic). Older auto trannies, TH400,C6 typically show a 19-22% loss Older 4 speed manuals almost always show a 15-16% loss Newer AT cars, Camero(sic), firebird 12-15% New manual trans is 8-11% New auto 4x4 truck is 25-28% These are verified over 20 years of testing, so far I can tell if something is really wrong or if the hp claims were bs."
    I get an error on that link.
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

    My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    26,420

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by garybuick View Post
    I get an error on that link.

    Timed Out. Try Here:


    https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid.../13/horsepower
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,772

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by buick64203 View Post
    ... Seems odd. That car should be able to bake the tires into oblivion. Something isn't adjusted right
    do you think its my dual exhaust system? The engine was originally a 2bbl with factory low rpm cam and heads with single exhaust and stock TH375B and stock converter. All I changed was the carb to a quadrajet from a 1970 riv or gs not sure. Maybe I lost my low end torque due to having the wrong exhaust system for the engine. I have read threads on here that talked about low rpm torque requires backpressure and not pipes that are too big and flowy. What do you think?
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

    My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by garybuick View Post
    do you think its my dual exhaust system? The engine was originally a 2bbl with factory low rpm cam and heads with single exhaust and stock TH375B and stock converter. All I changed was the carb to a quadrajet from a 1970 riv or gs not sure. Maybe I lost my low end torque due to having the wrong exhaust system for the engine. I have read threads on here that talked about low rpm torque requires backpressure and not pipes that are too big and flowy. What do you think?
    How old is your transmission? One thing I found out is any Buick that has over 130,000 miles or is 40+ years old will have a shot or a weak torque converter. I once had a similar issue with a Sport wagon I built; - 400 built up to as close to Stage 1 as I could get at the time, factory carb all rebuilt, dual exhaust, 3:42 axle and the thing didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way and it chewed gas like there was no tomorrow. Yet, the pressures in the tranny were all good, fluid was fresh, but, it had this habit of slowing down when in passing gear, and it had a vibration that just was undetermined. Figured out that it was all in the transmission, once that was properly overhauled, the car had plenty of power and would shred the tires.

    If you have set the engine all up properly and have eliminated all ignition and timing or fuel concerns, then it has to be transmission. Go through the motor once more; a simple thing like the vacuum advance being hooked up on the wrong port can change so many things.
    Marc,
    66 Electrafied,

    '66 Buick Electra 225 Conv. (Going to finally get this thing finished this winter, since I can't sell it)
    '67 Buick Wildcat Custom Conv. (...the Cat came back the very next day...)
    '01 Buick LeSabre Limited
    '08 Buick Allure (Canadian LaCrosse, and not very "alluring"...)

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,772

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by 66electrafied View Post
    How old is your transmission? One thing I found out is any Buick that has over 130,000 miles or is 40+ years old will have a shot or a weak torque converter. I once had a similar issue with a Sport wagon I built; - 400 built up to as close to Stage 1 as I could get at the time, factory carb all rebuilt, dual exhaust, 3:42 axle and the thing didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way and it chewed gas like there was no tomorrow. Yet, the pressures in the tranny were all good, fluid was fresh, but, it had this habit of slowing down when in passing gear, and it had a vibration that just was undetermined. Figured out that it was all in the transmission, once that was properly overhauled, the car had plenty of power and would shred the tires.

    If you have set the engine all up properly and have eliminated all ignition and timing or fuel concerns, then it has to be transmission. Go through the motor once more; a simple thing like the vacuum advance being hooked up on the wrong port can change so many things.
    its not slipping in drive because the rpm and mph agree with the 3.08 rear end at 60mph in final drive. It is possibe that it is slipping in first though. Not really grabbing. I hadnt thought of that. I wil do a test next time and see how high the rpms go in first and second and what the speed should be vs what it is.
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

    My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by garybuick View Post
    its not slipping in drive because the rpm and mph agree with the 3.08 rear end at 60mph in final drive. It is possibe that it is slipping in first though. Not really grabbing. I hadnt thought of that. I wil do a test next time and see how high the rpms go in first and second and what the speed should be vs what it is.
    Yeah, it's been my experience that the torque from a Buick will sort of "strip" (for lack of a better word) the torque converter at the bottom end or under severe load. Loping along at highway speeds or under moderate throttle they worked fine.
    Marc,
    66 Electrafied,

    '66 Buick Electra 225 Conv. (Going to finally get this thing finished this winter, since I can't sell it)
    '67 Buick Wildcat Custom Conv. (...the Cat came back the very next day...)
    '01 Buick LeSabre Limited
    '08 Buick Allure (Canadian LaCrosse, and not very "alluring"...)

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    North care-o-line-ya
    Posts
    2,671

    Default Re: I weighed my 73 LeSabre today and 300hp should be enough to get into the 13s

    Quote Originally Posted by garybuick View Post
    It says $15 gate fee and $5 dollars run all night. Is that 15 for the vehicle or for each passenger?
    Probably $15 a head and $5 to make passes.
    alan

    It isn't what happens to you that matters most, but rather what you choose to do about it.

    '73 Estate wagon - Best ET 11.74, best MPH 117.13

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Weighed the GS today
    By Heavy D in forum The Bench
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 08:24 AM
  2. i weighed my car
    By Joshua in forum The Bench
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM
  3. 65 Riviera, ever weighed one?
    By Tom Miller in forum A boatload of fun
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 07:54 AM
  4. Ok We weighed my pig
    By RACEBUICKS in forum Race car chassis tech
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 10:17 PM
  5. Pumpkin got weighed!
    By ropelie in forum The Bench
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 09:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top