Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Clutch Fork Wear? Should I attempt to resurface these grooves? Please see pics

I know that genuine GM BBB clutch forks are hard to come by after reading posts here.

Are the grooves on the fingers normal and I should continue using the fork as is, or is the part worn out from use?

I was thinking the grooves could be welded a little and filed smooth if such a repair is feasible?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed Green

1967 GS-400 4 Speed

Default Re: Clutch Fork Wear? Should I attempt to resurface these grooves? Please see pics

Quote Originally Posted by NZ GS 400 View Post
    I know that genuine GM BBB clutch forks are hard to come by after reading posts here.

Are the grooves on the fingers normal and I should continue using the fork as is, or is the part worn out from use?

I was thinking the grooves could be welded a little and filed smooth if such a repair is feasible?
    My welder guy did just that. Make sure yours knows his metallurgy and you'll be good to go! While your at it weld over your worn out bell crank hole and drill a new one, replace your rubber bushing and get your self a heim joint adjusting rod (to replace the crappy factory unit). You'll be super happy with the results of all this stuff. Search this forum for "clutch adjusting rod" and you'll find pictures and more info. Merry Christmas!
    BadBrad
    '70 GS455 - Power Brute Super T10 4spd
    ex. '70 GSX
    New Project: 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis - for the kids to drive.
    New Muscle: 2013 Ford Taurus SHO - Twin Turbo Terror

Spare 455 on the stand, just in case!

Slideshow of BadBrad's Car: http://s517.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow

Default Re: Clutch Fork Wear? Should I attempt to resurface these grooves? Please see pics

Quote Originally Posted by BadBrad View Post
    My welder guy did just that. Make sure yours knows his metallurgy and you'll be good to go! While your at it weld over your worn out bell crank hole and drill a new one, replace your rubber bushing and get your self a heim joint adjusting rod (to replace the crappy factory unit). You'll be super happy with the results of all this stuff. Search this forum for "clutch adjusting rod" and you'll find pictures and more info. Merry Christmas!
    Thanks Brad, Merry Christmas to you too!

Could you be more specific about "knows his metallurgy"? I am assuming you mean using a weld material that will hold up to the wear and pressure? Not sure, as I am not a welder.
    Ed Green

1967 GS-400 4 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by NZ GS 400 View Post
    Thanks Brad, Merry Christmas to you too!

Could you be more specific about "knows his metallurgy"? I am assuming you mean using a weld material that will hold up to the wear and pressure? Not sure, as I am not a welder.
    Your assumption is correct.

I know you're in NZ. Regardless, if you can get parts here are a couple numbers for stuff available in the states:

Spherical rod end (for the clutch adjuster) Napa Auto parts #732-1129

Rubber bushing: General Motors #387-2955 - this will come up as a suspension end link bushing for 2nd gen corvette.

These items definitely work on 70 and later GS, probably on 68 and 69, and maybe on your 67.
    BadBrad
    '70 GS455 - Power Brute Super T10 4spd
    ex. '70 GSX
    New Project: 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis - for the kids to drive.
    New Muscle: 2013 Ford Taurus SHO - Twin Turbo Terror

Spare 455 on the stand, just in case!

Slideshow of BadBrad's Car: http://s517.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow

Good stuff! Thanks for the part numbers Brad! Take care..
    Ed Green

1967 GS-400 4 Speed