Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 5 x 5 Rally Wheels for Full Size Buick -- any replicas?

Quote Originally Posted by gsx455-4ever View Post
    You can tweek the tangs on the center caps so they fit the later wheels. I have 66-70 Finned caps on my 73 Riv with the later wheels. You don't have to grind anything just slightly bed the tangs.
    - Which is what I did first, and then had one finned cap pop off into oblivion. Considering at the time they were as scarce as hen's teeth and cost me close to $100 a pop (!) I wasn't about to lose another one, so I got a die grinder and whittled the hole out a bit. Then touched up the bare spot with anti-rust paint and shellacked the outer ring so the chrome wouldn't chip out. So far it's worked, and it's been 21 years since I put on those rims.

So obviously I didn't bend the tangs enough; - the other thing; on used caps those tangs are very brittle; - I recall losing about 4 teeth on one wheel when they just snapped off.
    Marc,
    66 Electrafied,

'66 Buick Electra 225 Conv. (Going to finally get this thing finished this winter, since I can't sell it)
    '67 Buick Wildcat Custom Conv. (...the Cat came back the very next day...)
    '01 Buick LeSabre Limited
    '08 Buick Allure (Canadian LaCrosse, and not very "alluring"...)

Quote Originally Posted by 66electrafied View Post
    - Which is what I did first, and then had one finned cap pop off into oblivion. Considering at the time they were as scarce as hen's teeth and cost me close to $100 a pop (!) I wasn't about to lose another one, so I got a die grinder and whittled the hole out a bit. Then touched up the bare spot with anti-rust paint and shellacked the outer ring so the chrome wouldn't chip out. So far it's worked, and it's been 21 years since I put on those rims.

So obviously I didn't bend the tangs enough; - the other thing; on used caps those tangs are very brittle; - I recall losing about 4 teeth on one wheel when they just snapped off.
    If one popped of you bent it a little too much. I just had the ones on my Riv over 100 MPH for a burst and they stayed on . I will admit they were a bugger to get on in the first place .
    LOU

70 GSX STAGE 1 QQ #554
    73 RIVIERA

so we dont know if the cap came off because the teeth were not gripping tight enough in the hole or because the brittle teeth broke when spinning. Maybe the cap was not centered or being held in the center and it started to wobble. maybe it is better to enlarge the hole slightly. who knows. or just use the factory caps. I preffer the ribbed caps rather than the buick motor division ones that came on 71 to 73.
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

So for the 70 full size cars the easiest way is to find 66-70 rally rims? What is the widest tired you can fit on the rally rims and will there be interference with the quarter panels?
    BCA and 1959 Division Member

Current Owned Buicks
    1970 Electra 225 Convertible (loaded + factory tow package and posi) (455 powered of course)
    2002 Rendezvous CXL

Current spare motors
    1959 364 nailhead (rebuilt from the ground up)
    1975 Buick 455 (future motor for the Electra)

Previously owned Buicks
    5 1959 LeSabres (2dr and 4dr including factory stick shift)
    2 1958 Specials (4drs)
    1 1997 Riviera Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee88 View Post
    So for the 70 full size cars the easiest way is to find 66-70 rally rims? What is the widest tired you can fit on the rally rims and will there be interference with the quarter panels?
    You have another thread going on this, but you should be good with 235 70R15, but will be a little tight when mounting due to the bracket for the wheel skirts on the backside of the quarter. Once it's place you should have no issue.
    Doug
    ----------------
    67 Electra Convertible
    78 Estate Wagon
    www.buicks.net/show_and_shine/dmfconsult/
    BCA# 43125

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12