Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Still wet behind the ears, Build plans changed ;-)

Update / more questions on my 66 skylark engine swap

I finally dropped the completely disassembled 340 off at the machine shop. I was told that it would run about 500 bucks for the valve job on the heads. Then I get home and as fate would have it, I picked up a COMPLETE rebuilt running 401 sans the tranny out of a 63 Riviera that night for the same 500 bucks!. ( I went to the guys house and heard it run before he pulled it.)
    As such, I have even MORE questions. ( thank you for your patience ;-) )

I also have a 401 and st 400 tranny out of a 65 riviera that Im still going to rebuild. I was going to take the tranny from the 65, use the 65 flywheel and starter and change out the pilot bearing on the 63. I also have a kick down linkage for the tranny from another car. Will these need to be the only mods I need to do to make the 63 401 / st400 combo work?

Since the car previously had a 300, I'll need to use mounting plates for the 401 swap. Is there a template somewhere I can use to fab these, or is it easier to just buy them as an after market item?

The radiator for the 300 wont be up to the task of cooling the 401. I can pick up the radiator out of the Riviera for 100 bucks, but I'm not sure if it will fit in the Skylark. Should I get it and just modify it? I see Skylarkl GS radiators on eBay for 149.00, but they're a 3 core and Im not sure if I need a 4 core crossflow / downflow one, etc.....

The driveshaft will probably need to be shortened. Can I just cut down the one from the 300 and will it be able to handle the added torque? Or do I just get one from a Riviera ?

I've already cut and moved the battery tray

Will the tranny mount for the 2 speed auto that's in there work for st400? I'm pretty sure Ill have to move it back, just not sure if it could be modified to work.

I was also told to get stiffer springs for the Skylark due to the bigger motor. Would the springs from the Riviera work? Would I need to cut them down? Is there a particular after market set specifically designed for this application.

And finally, What else am I missing?

Default Re: Still wet behind the ears, Build plans changed ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Captjimmy View Post
    Update / more questions on my 66 skylark engine swap

I finally dropped the completely disassembled 340 off at the machine shop. I was told that it would run about 500 bucks for the valve job on the heads. Then I get home and as fate would have it, I picked up a COMPLETE rebuilt running 401 sans the tranny out of a 63 Riviera that night for the same 500 bucks!. ( I went to the guys house and heard it run before he pulled it.)
    As such, I have even MORE questions. ( thank you for your patience ;-) )

I also have a 401 and st 400 tranny out of a 65 riviera that Im still going to rebuild. I was going to take the tranny from the 65, use the 65 flywheel and starter and change out the pilot bearing on the 63. I also have a kick down linkage for the tranny from another car. Will these need to be the only mods I need to do to make the 63 401 / st400 combo work?

Since the car previously had a 300, I'll need to use mounting plates for the 401 swap. Is there a template somewhere I can use to fab these, or is it easier to just buy them as an after market item?

The radiator for the 300 wont be up to the task of cooling the 401. I can pick up the radiator out of the Riviera for 100 bucks, but I'm not sure if it will fit in the Skylark. Should I get it and just modify it? I see Skylarkl GS radiators on eBay for 149.00, but they're a 3 core and Im not sure if I need a 4 core crossflow / downflow one, etc.....

The driveshaft will probably need to be shortened. Can I just cut down the one from the 300 and will it be able to handle the added torque? Or do I just get one from a Riviera ?

I've already cut and moved the battery tray

Will the tranny mount for the 2 speed auto that's in there work for st400? I'm pretty sure Ill have to move it back, just not sure if it could be modified to work.

I was also told to get stiffer springs for the Skylark due to the bigger motor. Would the springs from the Riviera work? Would I need to cut them down? Is there a particular after market set specifically designed for this application.

And finally, What else am I missing?
    Perhaps the moderator can move this to the Nailhead section where more people will see it to help you out. I did break down a few things you need in your original thread to swap in a Nailhead.

Or you can copy & paste and start a new thread in the N/H section and delete this one? GL

Derek
    64 Skylark,401 Nailhead,ST400,3.23:1Posi
    64 Skylark,305Vortec sbc,700R4,12blt Posi 3.73,low 14s. A sbb 300 stroker planned for it.
    72 Skylark Convert. in progress, Not yet assembled 455 .020 over,70 heads with stage1 valves,gasket matched and bowl blended,transmission to be determined.
    65 Chevy Impala,4,400lbs,383sbc,700R4,3.07posi,1.80 60' foot time low 13s @101mph,15mpg city,24mpg highway