Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default New to Buick, not so new to projects: '68 Electra 225

Thanks for taking a moment to read. I have a long history of custom motorcycle, air cooled volkswagen and Jeep experience, but not American cars. Buying a very clean, all original, sub 60k mile Electra 225 4 door hardtop. Straight as a board. Super clean paint, black vinyl top is a replacement.

Mechanically it needs AC compressor replaced, fuel flushed and all hoses/filters for peace of mind.

I am trying to find info on doing the following.

Disc brake conversion
    Air bag suspension for rideability
    Bigger Wheels and tires (20? 22?)

Thats it. Will do an in dash CD/DVD system and upgrade all interior to leather.

Anyone point me in the right direction for installs and parts options?

Thanks and I look forward to learning as much as I can here.

Loving this new car once it arrives. Well, not this one, but one just like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New to Buick, not so new to projects: '68 Electra 225

What do you mean by rideability? Is air bag suspension better than the stock? I thought that made the ride stiff and bumpy.
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

Welcome aboard from NY.
    Fred
    Fred Weisse
    67 GS400 4 Speed Convertible
    70 GSX Stage1
    70 GS Stage1 Conv
    87 GNX
    And Much Much More

"Every Breath You Take, Every Move You Make, I'll Be Watching You" Our Gov't at work.

A '68 Electra with stock suspension, 15" wheels, and factory drums all in good order will ride, steer, and stop very nicely. Everything you change is going to set off a chain of problems--especially big rims. They're heavy (unsprung weight is the worst) and require low profile tires that have no give, which equals rougher ride and possible steering wander. Disc brakes won't fix the weight, and air ride won't stop the jarring of no sidewall give. But...I've only seen this done in the real world. Maybe those tv guys who do this to old cars can make it work.
    Patrick

Welcome to the site. Have 0 input on your quest. Good luck!
    ROA Member # 13359
    BCA #46919
    BPG #2320
    68 Riviera: Show car.
    78 Regal:Track car 1.47 60'- 7.00.9 1/8 mile, 11.14 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by pbr400 View Post
    A '68 Electra with stock suspension, 15" wheels, and factory drums all in good order will ride, steer, and stop very nicely. Everything you change is going to set off a chain of problems--especially big rims. They're heavy (unsprung weight is the worst) and require low profile tires that have no give, which equals rougher ride and possible steering wander. Disc brakes won't fix the weight, and air ride won't stop the jarring of no sidewall give. But...I've only seen this done in the real world. Maybe those tv guys who do this to old cars can make it work.
    Patrick
    There is a huge difference in ridability with air ride suspension (think Lincoln Continental) and the cars that go boing boing boing in the Latino world! I want the ability to auto ride-level with airbags vs the offset stance of pure stock or ass down of 4 passengers and luggage in the trunk. As for wheels, I have not measured the wheel well openings to know what will fit best in total diameter after the air ride, but trust me, no low profile tires. Maybe 17 or 18 but nothing smaller than 60 series. I dont know yet, just looking to see if others here have done this? Thanks for the insight.

I went with 17x9 wheels on all four corners and had springs made locally to get the ride height where I liked it. I could've done 18's, I think, but there were more tire choices in the 17" gene pool. I'll admit that I don't do more than 2 people in the car and the only luggage is what I need to sit at a car show. I think Scarebird might have a disc retrofit kit for that chassis, but I'm not positive. Air bags will give you a way to level the car in almost any circumstance; I've seen a couple of bags fail at shows I've been to for various reasons, that's why I stayed with springs.
    Joe Blogref, Jr.
    '67 Wildcat Convertible

Welcome from Canada!

Well; - I drive a 66 Electra 225 convertible on the stock equipment. Sure, it's a bit of a handful to drive at modern highway speeds, but I grew up with these things and haven't had any issues.
    As for the drum brakes, ask a herd of deer that I missed whether or not they work; - I locked 'em up at 85 mph when I rounded a corner on the highway and saw them at the last second; - honestly thought that was going to be "it", but the big Buick slowed down and locked up to a dead stop, - and a lot of squealing rubber. Scared me more than the deer, who were all just standing there looking at this big red thing smoking in among them.

It's your car to do what ever you wish to it, but IMHO there's nothing wrong with the factory stuff; the car does just fine. That said, I'm sure there is someone on this board who has done what you are asking; - it just isn't me. A 68 Electra is a sweet runner; they have a pretty good ride right out of the box too.
    Marc,
    66 Electrafied,

'66 Buick Electra 225 Conv. (Going to finally get this thing finished this winter, since I can't sell it)
    '67 Buick Wildcat Custom Conv. (...the Cat came back the very next day...)
    '01 Buick LeSabre Limited
    '08 Buick Allure (Canadian LaCrosse, and not very "alluring"...)