Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Newer model Buicks. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by TROSE11SECGN View Post
    The 3.8 to me was probably one of the best running engines of all time!
    Agreed. Had an '87 Delta 88 2 door FE3 with a 3.8 from January 1989 to October 2000.
    Flat out loved that car.
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

Daily drivers (all bought new) 1995 C-1500, 2008 Highlander, 2015 Corolla

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

"A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

Quote Originally Posted by BQUICK View Post
    The GM Ecotec and Ecotec turbo is a great engine IMO. Pretty well proven. Probably look for a current generation Regal used when prices come down to my price range. Like to see a coupe or wagon......
    I have no problem with the turbo 4 banger in the regal , like I said lots of spunk , other then the turbo lag from a dead stop.
    It flies and is extremely smooth, it's just the very uncomfortable nuances of the newer regals I hate and I'm just shy of 6ft .
    Regards Dennis
    1971 Buick GS Stage 1 warmed thru N-25's https://vimeo.com/183517579?utm_sour...campaign=28749
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo T
    2004 Buick Regal GS SC
    1998 GMC CrewCab 4X4 Longbed (Buick don't make Trucks)
    Former Buicks
    1961 Buick Electra 2DR (Hurricane Irene Flood victim)
    1965 Skylark Gran Sport (first car)
    1965 Riviera 401
    1968 GS400, TH400
    1986 T-Type Regal Bill Blass edition
    1972 Buick Sportwagon

Quote Originally Posted by My3Buicks View Post
    Nice manipulation of stats Brian, LaCrosse sales were down, a typical occurrence when a new version is set to hit the market, buyers wait to see the new model. Overall U.S. Buick sales increased by 5% in 2016 and of course globally Buick sales have skyrocketed with the highest percent growth in the industry reported. Buick sales percent was the highest since 2005.
    When I'm not making ill advised and inexperienced blanket statements about GM, I like to practice my master manipulation!
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

So I just had lunch and was thinking about this thread.

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette purchased in fall of 2000 for around 30k and had all these issues:

3.4L-Dexcool enhanced-intake manifold gasket failure X 2

the next year it was head gasket

famous negative terminal falling off, acid everywhere Delco battery failure

front end clunk the dealer took a week to figure out

rear a/c failed the same weekend I had company in town

found out the onboard air compressor never worked the first time I went to use it

instrument cluster shattered on its own (try to get the service manager to buy into that one)

radio would pick stations for you

total a/c failure

x2 on rear suspension sensor jacking the van up like something in a cartoon

standing water in taillights

fogged over headlights

cooling fans intermittent due to wiring and setting codes and causing overheating

constant codes for EGR

the final straw was the hard shifting tranny that was also setting codes

interior trim falling off constantly from day one to trade in

In March of 2008 we took it to the Toyota dealer and traded it in on our basically problem free Highlander. The Oldsmobile's paint and upholstery looked like new, it had new General radials, 80k miles, and they gave us a whopping 3k for it.

Compare that to the minivan my wife's friend also bought a new in 2000. A Honda Odyssey. Last summer (8 years later mind you) a bunch of us piled into it to go to a Red's game. Although she is a single mother that never washes her car, and the thing has 200k problem free miles on it now, we practically froze our butts off with its cold air. She had to borrow it back from her son who does nothing but abuse it as a party bus because she moved into a new Accord last spring.

Surely, some of you can understand my extreme disappointment in GM?

I believe the 3.8 BUICK motor was rated one of the top ten reliable motors ever produced
    Alan W

BPG # 1048 - Charter Member
    NE GS/GN Club - 17 Year Member
    68/69 Buick StepChild Nation - 29 Year Member

What is a Buick StepChild ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
    ... They have awkward proportions from certain angles, and they look dumpy compared to their GM brethren
    ....'68 SportWagon400 "Sportn'Wood"..............'69 GS400 Convert "BigRed"..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S View Post
    I have a 2004 Regal GS supercharged (and yes the supercharger still works ) as a daily driver with 250,000 on it , never had a major repair . It only failed me twice and recently ....fuel pump 10,000 miles ago and an ingnition switch last week .

Mama has a 2011 regal turbo T CXL with all the goodies.....loved it at first but grew too hate it. I prefer to take the 2004 for any long rides . Should have bought the La Crosse like my gut told me back then .

The 2011 has No major problems at 91,000 other then a front brake issue (locking and dragging) and still on the original back pads , but are due now . It handles great , lots of balls from a 20 roll , but that's about it . These newer Regals are uncomfortable cars in my opinion. Leather Seats are too hard and short, tough to get in and out of, kills my back on long drives, lots of blind spots , side view mirrors are weird shape with poor view and yeah the 19 inch rims not only look stupid , but we have ruined at least 6 tires hitting bumps or potholes, that would have been no problem for 15's or 16's and maybe 17's . I have heard nothing , but good things about the La Crosses and Enclaves.

As a matter of fact I'm looking to trade the 2011 Regal in for a certified used AWD Enclave . I spoke to several owners of Enclaves from 2008 and up and all give it rave reviews

The Regal is just too Wanna be Small BMWish ...... I know it's an Opel

I test drove the Verano and the Encore both way too small for my liking .....IMHO
    So really the only complaint is 91 K mile brake pads ? Lol. Any BMW you quote would be replaced 5 times by then.

Also .. I find the seats the most comfortable of any car I've had . I drive 10-12 hours a day ..

I have 18" and don't hit pot holes .. The Opel platform is actually very good . I have a large roadway dip near my home and only car to not bottom out . Includes former Audi VW BMW Benz and many others .

DL
    Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Albrecht View Post

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette purchased in fall of 2000 for around 30k and had all these issues:

found out the onboard air compressor never worked the first time I went to use it

instrument cluster shattered on its own (try to get the service manager to buy into that one)

total a/c failure

fogged over headlights

cooling fans intermittent due to wiring and setting codes and causing overheating

constant codes for EGR

In March of 2008 we took it to the Toyota dealer and traded it in on our basically problem free Highlander. The Oldsmobile's paint and upholstery looked like new, it had new General radials, 80k miles, and they gave us a whopping 3k for it.

Compare that to the minivan my wife's friend also bought a new in 2000. A Honda Odyssey. Last summer (8 years later mind you) a bunch of us piled into it to go to a Red's game. Although she is a single mother that never washes her car, and the thing has 200k problem free miles on it now, we practically froze our butts off with its cold air. She had to borrow it back from her son who does nothing but abuse it as a party bus because she moved into a new Accord last spring.

That was 16 years ago, totally different ballgame. Now 8 years later you traded it, what kind of technology and improvement do you think might have happened in those 8 years, even then you were comparing apples to oranges. There are horror stories like that with every single manufacturer. Btw, those minivans were an abysmal failure.
    1967 Special Deluxe Hardtop Sport Coupe
    1990 Reatta Convertible
    2003 Thunderbird Convertible
    2016 Hyundai Sante Fe Turbo Sport

Maybe so, but sales are abysmal:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/12/...november-2016/

My local Buick dealer shows 38 left over 2015 & 2016 sedans (looks like they have a 1/3 more 2016 than 2017 cars, that can't be good).

http://jeffwylerflorencebuickgmc.com...cetInteracted=
    Lol I don't think local dealer inventory is a very good barometer, you realize people at year model end want New Years model ..
    Btw those are KILLER Deals you can't buy a pos Kia for 22k and a equivalent Audi BMW will run 50K . Thanks for the link .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick ?

Quote Originally Posted by dl7265 View Post
    So really the only complaint is 91 K mile brake pads ? Lol. Any BMW you quote would be replaced 5 times by then.

Also .. I find the seats the most comfortable of any car I've had . I drive 10-12 hours a day ..

I have 18" and don't hit pot holes .. The Opel platform is actually very good . I have a large roadway dip near my home and only car to not bottom out . Includes former Audi VW BMW Benz and many others .

DL
    No read my other posts , I said the turbo ran great without major problems My major complaint was my personal comfort and layout basically and your dig about pot holes was noted . Try driving in and out of Brooklyn , NYC city at night . I busted two sidewall just driving over a bad connection on the highway .....no avoiding that. It's the 19's no wiggle room between tire and rim. So 91,000 on rear brakes shows it's not driven like an animal .

I hate the car and that's my opinion and I'm 63 and had an 80% Buick fleet since I was 17......and looking for another.
    Regards Dennis
    1971 Buick GS Stage 1 warmed thru N-25's https://vimeo.com/183517579?utm_sour...campaign=28749
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo T
    2004 Buick Regal GS SC
    1998 GMC CrewCab 4X4 Longbed (Buick don't make Trucks)
    Former Buicks
    1961 Buick Electra 2DR (Hurricane Irene Flood victim)
    1965 Skylark Gran Sport (first car)
    1965 Riviera 401
    1968 GS400, TH400
    1986 T-Type Regal Bill Blass edition
    1972 Buick Sportwagon

Quote Originally Posted by dl7265 View Post
    Lol I don't think local dealer inventory is a very good barometer, you realize people at year model end want New Years model ..
    Btw those are KILLER Deals you can't buy a pos Kia for 22k and a equivalent Audi BMW will run 50K . Thanks for the link .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL...KILLER deals for a reason amigo

The Toyota dealer just down the street from the Buick dealer:

http://www.kerrytoyota.com/new-inven...or-bodyStyle-2

Sedan vs Sedan

No 2015's. 2016's are 27 compared to 191 2017's. Instead of a third more 2016's than 2017's, there are about an eighth as many 2016's as there are 2017's.

I suppose we could toss this out as any kind of sales barometer though.

Btw, those minivans were an abysmal failure.
    BTW?

BTW?

WTH?

So, you agree with my point 100 percent that those vans were junk, and I compare minivan to minivan bringing the story right up to last summer, but somehow your saying what?

total a/c failure

fogged over headlights

constant codes for EGR

This post reminds me os something my Dad used to say. "There are people that can even screw up an anvil"

Bob H.
    1953 Buick 455 TA Aluminum SE Stg2 Heads, B4B Intake, S/P Turbo 400, Gear Vendor, 3.42 Posi. A/C
    1970 GS Project Getting close.

Hmmm....class action lawsuit on Odessey transmissions.
    200k with no trans issue on one....that is amazing!

Hmmm....class action lawsuit on Odessey transmissions.
    200k with no trans issue on one....that is amazing!

I take it nothing in my description of this GM minivan struck you as uncharacteristic then...

Amazing.

BTW?

BTW?

WTH?

So, you agree with my point 100 percent that those vans were junk, and I compare minivan to minivan bringing the story right up to last summer, but somehow your saying what?

If you were comparing a 2000 Toyota to a 2000 Oldsmobile or 2008 Toyota to a 2008 General Motors vehicle then there is comparison to be made but you can't compare vehicles that are nearly a decade apart . I don't think anybody will question the fact the GM had some dark days but we are talking about today, the quality of a vehicle 17 years old or 17 years ago has absolutely no bearing on the quality of a vehicle being produced today. The world has moved on since 2000, come join us.
    1990 Reatta Convertible

I don't doubt it. You bought the wrong vehicle with the wrong engine. Later Pontiac Montanas had the 3800 Buick motor.
    Just turned 315K a few minutes ago on my Regal. Hey it still has paint on it as opposed to most Hondas of its vintage. It's a faithful beater....unlike my ex wife. Haha

It's a faithful beater....unlike my ex wife. Haha
    Hahah! Sometimes we just want that good ol faithful beater instead of an unreliable high maintenance money pit! Sometimes lol

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Matt

68 Skylark 2D HT- 350/th350, second owner.
    Crower Level3 cam
    Mild head work w/oversized exh valves
    Stage 1 springs
    9.5" converter (JW @ trishield performance)
    Q-jet (Mark Northcutt @quadrajet power)
    2.5" TA exhaust, dynomax Ultraflo muffs
    BMR 1.5" drop springs

Wink Re: Newer model Buicks. What do you think?

I've had both.

If you were comparing a 2000 Toyota to a 2000 Oldsmobile or 2008 Toyota to a 2008 General Motors vehicle then there is comparison to be made but you can't compare vehicles that are nearly a decade apart . I don't think anybody will question the fact the GM had some dark days but we are talking about today, the quality of a vehicle 17 years old or 17 years ago has absolutely no bearing on the quality of a vehicle being produced today. The world has moved on since 2000, come join us.
    I'm living in the past?

I currently drive a Corolla. My wife drives a Highlander. My parents and my son drive Camrys. A lot of my neighbors drive Toyota cars. Many of my coworkers drive a Toyota. Yet, no one has ever related a poor ownership experience to me from a first hand perspective. Are they out there? I'm sure they are because a Toyota is just a machine, but they are obviously few and far between.

GM did me wrong on many an occasion, and they've earned my disrespect, I can assure you. Somehow, bringing up a new Toyota to somebody shopping for a newer car set off all kinds of alarms in some you, and I'm not sure why. This is a website for the V8Buick. When was that last cast? What we on this website share is an enthusiasm for something that is long since gone, as is my allegiance to a brand that went defunct and was reborn through a government bail out. I'm shocked that anyone on here would care about a newer Buick enough to defend it. I don't even know anyone who drives one...and can't tell you the last time I've even noticed one.

49k for the all new LaCrosse. That's an expensive ticket to join you. Frankly, I can't think of anything dumber to spend money on. Few will pay the price of admission and the sales will reflect that. But hey, you step right on up and getcha some and let me know how it works out for you, especially a decade into your decision.

In the meantime, I'll stay right here in the past where it seems nearly everyone is driving a Toyota now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S View Post
    I have no problem with the turbo 4 banger in the regal , like I said lots of spunk , other then the turbo lag from a dead stop.
    It flies and is extremely smooth, it's just the very uncomfortable nuances of the newer regals I hate and I'm just shy of 6ft .

I find the majority of newer vehicles have seats that are not designed to accomodate someone like me, 6'4" and 250 lbs, with long legs and arms and wide shoulders. The biggest issue I find is the seat back is contoured to fit someone with a much narrower back than I have.
    Ex-1968 GS350
    Ex-1998 Riviera

I'm excited about Buicks new convertible. Now if they will offer a v8 rwd model! Buick had a few unreliable models (My rendezvous is one), but I think the future for Buick brighter now then it has been since the 80s.
    BCA and 1959 Division Member

Current Owned Buicks
    1970 Electra 225 Convertible (loaded + factory tow package and posi) (455 powered of course)
    2002 Rendezvous CXL

Current spare motors
    1959 364 nailhead (rebuilt from the ground up)
    1975 Buick 455 (future motor for the Electra)

Previously owned Buicks
    5 1959 LeSabres (2dr and 4dr including factory stick shift)
    2 1958 Specials (4drs)
    1 1997 Riviera Supercharged

I'm living in the past?

I currently drive a Corolla. My wife drives a Highlander. My parents and my son drive Camrys. A lot of my neighbors drive Toyota cars. Many of my coworkers drive a Toyota. Yet, no one has ever related a poor ownership experience to me from a first hand perspective. Are they out there? I'm sure they are because a Toyota is just a machine, but they are obviously few and far between.

GM did me wrong on many an occasion, and they've earned my disrespect, I can assure you. Somehow, bringing up a new Toyota to somebody shopping for a newer car set off all kinds of alarms in some you, and I'm not sure why. This is a website for the V8Buick. When was that last cast? What we on this website share is an enthusiasm for something that is long since gone, as is my allegiance to a brand that went defunct and was reborn through a government bail out. I'm shocked that anyone on here would care about a newer Buick enough to defend it. I don't even know anyone who drives one...and can't tell you the last time I've even noticed one.

49k for the all new LaCrosse. That's an expensive ticket to join you. Frankly, I can't think of anything dumber to spend money on. Few will pay the price of admission and the sales will reflect that. But hey, you step right on up and getcha some and let me know how it works out for you, especially a decade into your decision.

In the meantime, I'll stay right here in the past where it seems nearly everyone is driving a Toyota now a days.

Sounds like you are just trying to justify all the money ($60,000+) you spent on your 3 TOY cars. Look, they are not old yet....check back in another ten years.

Variable valve timing solenoid is a costly and fairly common problem with Corollas. Many people with Toyotas are embarrassed to admit the $$$ they spend on them. (not as bad as Audis and BMWs though) My daughter took her 2004 Highlander in to get alignment and parts were so rusted that they couldn't do it without replacing parts resulting in a big bill. Lets see my son's friend's Scion motor with only 120K on it was knocking bad. Dealer says it needs a new motor. Of course no warranty.....
    Sister's Lexus SUV needed front differential replaced at a cost of close to 6 grand. She does have 220K on it but has put $$$$ into it to get there. Plus it's a pig on gas 15mpg hwy. Heck my 97 pickup with same size V8 is rated at 21hwy.

The world has moved on since 2000, yes. Has it been for the better? (with regards to cars) I don't think so. New technology doesn't necessarily equate to better reliability or better quality. I have plenty of things like the 75 year old watch on my arm or the 125 year old watch in my pocket that still work like the day they were built and do the job exceptionally well. I cannot say that about a modern Buick.

My previous post stated that I believe that Buick's zenith with regards to reliability and quality was some 20 years ago. Sure, the technology has gotten more sophisticated, I can start a new car from another country if I wanted to. So can anyone else with a decent cell phone and a few illegal apps, but we won't get into that. Sure, my new car knows exactly how much power to apply to which wheel, or how much ABS works; - until it gets to -40F and the plastic housing on the sensor shatters. Then the whole wheel hub has to be replaced, regardless of the fact that there's nothing wrong with the bearing. Or, at the same temperature, the tires on my modern Buick always seem to go flat. Why, do you ask? Because, apparently GM forgot how to make tubeless wheels and this is a common problem corporate wide. So much for "new technology", I'm still left walking while everyone elses cars hold air. Oh yes, the new and improved "fly by wire", the fact that there is no more linkage controlling fuel input, it's all done electronically. Great idea; no more throttle cables to buy. It's just too bad that the car now runs like a 52 Plymouth on 5 because they can't figure out how to set up the car to actually accelerate properly; there's apparently a glitch in the actual program and they don't know where. Reprogramming is impossible, it has to be replaced. The cost for the parts is stupid, considering what it actually consists of, and it's my responsibility even though it's a factory fault. Fantastic this new technology, isn't it?
    I could go on. Now the old Gen 1 cars were a lot easier to keep alive, there was still room for human intervention and they weren't as "plug and play" as these supposedly more reliable modern cars are.

I've never quite understood why the manufacturer's attraction towards making everything electrical; mechanical items do wear, but they let you know they're failing for a long time before they fail. Electronic stuff just fails completely and it can be anywhere at any time and age of the component is completely irrelevant. How is that an improvement? Sounds like a license to print money instead.

The 3.8 was probably one of the best motor designs ever built, and it worked well with a carburetor and a distributor, and came into it's own with electronic ignition and fuel injection.

Recent trends on resale have more or less confirmed this. People are scared of used cars, simply because the technology has far surpassed anything most of us ever knew, and the cars have become so proprietary that only the manufacturer can service them. Most if not all of the "local corner" garages are gone, and we're at the whim of a dealer paying outrageous amounts of money for something that actually has no resale value and only they can fix it. How is that an improvement?

Buicks sell incredibly well in China, and they're mostly engineered there. GM is slowly becoming a foreign company. If it wasn't for your new president clamping down a bit, the exodus would have continued and Buick would have become a completely Chinese product. However, one look at most parking lots (around here anyway) shows that the only Buicks are owned by rental companies or old idiots like myself who once had a misguided brand loyalty. You'll note in my signature that I have an all-Buick fleet and I've been one of Buick's biggest boosters over the years to the point where I'm locally known as the"Buick guy." So if they lose a guy like me they will have had to build one sh--ty product.

To answer the OP's initial question; if you're going to buy a used Buick buy a 1993-2004 LeSabre. Forget the rest.
    Marc,
    66 Electrafied,

'66 Buick Electra 225 Conv. (Going to finally get this thing finished this winter, since I can't sell it)
    '67 Buick Wildcat Custom Conv. (...the Cat came back the very next day...)
    '01 Buick LeSabre Limited
    '08 Buick Allure (Canadian LaCrosse, and not very "alluring"...)

Sounds like you are just trying to justify all the money you spent on your TOY cars. Look, they are not old yet....check back in another ten years.
    Well, let's see, the Highlander is now exactly the same age as the crap minivan it replaced was with exactly the same mileage on it. Let me recheck. Yep, still no problems.

Why on earth would I try to justify the money I've spent on the Toyota cars? They're our transportation. Why would I treat that any differently than the cost of my home, or the electric bill, or grocery bill? Whom would I be trying to obtain justification from?

I'll be happy to check back with you as each vehicle turns ten years of age. But, by then I should have been indoctrinated into the The Church of Toyotology where I pledge "not to admit the money you've spent on your Toyota" and forced to lie to you about any vehicle shortcomings.

I'm living in the past?

you must live in a perfect bubble where all your Toyota friends live in peace and harmony. You should consider collecting Toyota's if you are so into them, and oh, if you can find any decent older ones. Toyota has a US 15% market share so must just be in Albrecht world that everyone drives A Toyota.
    1990 Reatta Convertible

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast