Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Newer model Buicks. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by My3Buicks View Post
    you must live in a perfect bubble where all your Toyota friends live in peace and harmony. You should consider collecting Toyota's if you are so into them, and oh, if you can find any decent older ones. Toyota has a US 15% market share so must just be in Albrecht world that everyone drives A Toyota.
    Funny, Buick's is 1.3 percent. That's pretty close to a big fat ZERO

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...t-share-growth

So V8Buick boss, is this my official invitation to leave the V8Buick site because I refuse to respect GM almighty in its current form?

I've had over 26 classic Buick cars since 1981, most of them GS's...I don't owe anybody an explanation about my love for the old stuff.

You want me to bend over and kiss the plastic stick on badge on a Chinese or Korean built "Buick"?

Ain't gonna happen.

I've learned to live in a bubble where new cars don't excite me with very few exceptions while I try to continue my passion for the classics. To suggest I change collector camps is pretty dog gone arrogant. But hey, thanks for extending the invitation. Another well thought out reply...
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

Daily drivers (all bought new) 1995 C-1500, 2008 Highlander, 2015 Corolla

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

"A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

[QUOTE=Brian Albrecht;2646965]Funny, Buick's is 1.3 percent. That's pretty close to a big fat ZER0

15% is a long way from 100% as you allude to, it's sad you can't deal with the fact that Buick is making a strong comeback, I am not sure why it's such a bother to you. Drive your Toyota's Buick will do just fine without your purchase, they are for people that want a little more out of their car than snoozeville Toyota's.

I can almost always tell which of my customers when I first meet them are going to go for a Toyota.

1967 Special Deluxe Hardtop Sport Coupe
    1990 Reatta Convertible
    2003 Thunderbird Convertible
    2016 Hyundai Sante Fe Turbo Sport

[QUOTE=My3Buicks;2646970]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Albrecht View Post
    Funny, Buick's is 1.3 percent. That's pretty close to a big fat ZER0

15% is a long way from 100% as you allude to, it's sad you can't deal with the fact that Buick is making a strong comeback, I am not sure why it's such a bother to you. Drive your Toyota's Buick will do just fine without your purchase, they are for people that want a little more out of their car than snoozeville Toyota's.

I can almost always tell which of my customers when I first meet them are going to go for a Toyota.

Buick has made gains in China, not North America. The only reason GM didn't kill it instead of Pontiac was because it's doing so well in China. I guess the statement about misguided brand loyalty fell on deaf ears; - nobody here disputes that old Buicks are great cars and worthy of collecting, only that modern Buicks leave something to be desired. Are Toyotas boring? Yup, they sure are; - and they're ugly too. But they work and they run, they will get you from A to B, something I can't say a modern Buick will. A modern vehicle is a bloody appliance and is about as attractive to me as a new fridge is. It's about as reliable too, 5 years and it's crap or has quit. Runs just long enough for the warranty to expire. I'll swallow my pride and look at a Toyota before I ever grace another GM showroom again; jeez, I'd even buy Euro-trash like Mercedes before I buy another modern Buick!
    Marc,
    66 Electrafied,

'66 Buick Electra 225 Conv. (Going to finally get this thing finished this winter, since I can't sell it)
    '67 Buick Wildcat Custom Conv. (...the Cat came back the very next day...)
    '01 Buick LeSabre Limited
    '08 Buick Allure (Canadian LaCrosse, and not very "alluring"...)

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Matt

68 Skylark 2D HT- 350/th350, second owner.
    Crower Level3 cam
    Mild head work w/oversized exh valves
    Stage 1 springs
    9.5" converter (JW @ trishield performance)
    Q-jet (Mark Northcutt @quadrajet power)
    2.5" TA exhaust, dynomax Ultraflo muffs
    BMR 1.5" drop springs

1,400,588 new Buicks since 2010. Where are they all? There sure aren't any on the roads!

Was that how many new Buicks were sold to dealerships? According to that chart, they outsold Toyota by 30,000 cars last year. (208,000).
    Something doesn't quite jive here...
    Marc,
    66 Electrafied,

'66 Buick Electra 225 Conv. (Going to finally get this thing finished this winter, since I can't sell it)
    '67 Buick Wildcat Custom Conv. (...the Cat came back the very next day...)
    '01 Buick LeSabre Limited
    '08 Buick Allure (Canadian LaCrosse, and not very "alluring"...)

[QUOTE=66electrafied;2646973]
    Quote Originally Posted by My3Buicks View Post

Buick has made gains in China, not North America. The only reason GM didn't kill it instead of Pontiac was because it's doing so well in China. I guess the statement about misguided brand loyalty fell on deaf ears; - nobody here disputes that old Buicks are great cars and worthy of collecting, only that modern Buicks leave something to be desired. Are Toyotas boring? Yup, they sure are; - and they're ugly too. But they work and they run, they will get you from A to B, something I can't say a modern Buick will. A modern vehicle is a bloody appliance and is about as attractive to me as a new fridge is. It's about as reliable too, 5 years and it's crap or has quit. Runs just long enough for the warranty to expire. I'll swallow my pride and look at a Toyota before I ever grace another GM showroom again; jeez, I'd even buy Euro-trash like Mercedes before I buy another modern Buick!
    We will just blindly pretend this below does not exist and continue to downplay Buick's reliability.

Lexus, Toyota and Buick are the most reliable brands in Consumer Reports' latest survey, a reward for their conservative approach to new technology.
    It's the fourth straight year that Lexus came in first and Toyota came in second. Two of their hybrids the Toyota Prius and the Lexus CT 200H were named the most reliable vehicles. But Buick General Motors Co.'s near-luxury marque is the first domestic brand to crack the top three since the magazine began tracking vehicle reliability in the early 1980s.
    Audi and Kia rounded out the top five brands. Dodge, Chrysler, Fiat and Ram all owned by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles were the worst performers. Electric car maker Tesla Motors also fared poorly.
    The magazine released its annual reliability survey Monday. It's closely watched by the industry, since many buyers look to the magazine for recommendations.

\

Consumer Reports predicts the reliability of 2017 model-year brands and individual vehicles based on survey responses from its subscribers. The magazine collected subscribers' comments on vehicles they own from the 2000-2017 model years. Around 500,000 subscribers responded to this year's survey.
    Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports' director of automotive testing, said the best performers have something in common: They tend to add new technology slowly, and bit-by-bit, rather than all at once. When Lexus introduced its new 2016 RX SUV, for example, it used an older engine and an eight-speed transmission that had already been used in another Lexus vehicle. When Buick introduced the Encore small SUV in the U.S. in 2012, it was built on a small-car platform used in prior vehicles and had a six-speed transmission, rather than the eight- and nine-speeds coming into vogue.
    By contrast, Honda fell in this year's survey partly because of its 2016 Civic small car, which has two new engines, a new steel underbody and a new continuously variable transmission. Cue the problems: Shortly after the Civic went on sale, it was recalled for engine failure. Consumer Reports said Civic customers also have reported problems with the car's infotainment system.
    "It's the choice of making such a big change," Fisher told The Associated Press. "They pay the penalty for trying to get it all right."
    Fisher said GM has been improving its cars and small SUVs for several years now. The Chevrolet Cruze was the top-performing small car in the survey, while the Chevrolet Trax was the top-performing small SUV. But the company continues to struggle with pickups and larger truck-based SUVs, which gets low marks for steering and suspension issues. The Cadillac Escalade large SUV is the worst performing vehicle in the magazine's survey due to its combination of transmission problems and its difficult-to-use infotainment system. Buick has no truck-based vehicles.
    Tesla which was added to this year's survey because the magazine had enough responses from owners suffered multiple problems with its new Model X SUV, including water leaks and issues with climate control.
    Fisher said Tesla should perform better than average, since electric cars have fewer mechanical parts than gasoline-powered cars. But it gets tripped up by flashy features like the Model X's glitch-prone falcon-wing doors.
    "The problem with Tesla has always been the gimmicks," he said.
    ---------

1990 Reatta Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 66electrafied View Post
    1,400,588 new Buicks since 2010. Where are they all? There sure aren't any on the roads!

Was that how many new Buicks were sold to dealerships? According to that chart, they outsold Toyota by 30,000 cars last year. (208,000).
    Marc,

I believe Buick is about 230k a year and Toyota about 230k a month.
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Albrecht View Post
    Marc,

I believe Buick is about 230k a year and Toyota about 230k a month.
    I think you're right Brian, they are in the millions per year. I was just seeing that table shows buicks progressive climb since 2010.

Matt

Crower Level3 cam
    Stage 1 springs
    BMR 1.5" drop springs

I can't believe "we" are having an online argument regarding who builds the best cars these days. Really??? You can toss stats out all you want here, but in the end everyone will have their own subjective opinion, based partly on stats and maybe largely on personal experience. No one is right and no one is wrong.

I own a newer import, and a newer domestic, unfortunately no Buicks currently. Love both cars. I don't care what anyone else thinks about my choices in vehicles and I don't care about "your" choice in vehicles.
    Ex-1968 GS350
    Ex-1998 Riviera

I am reading through this post and getting agitated the more I read. Buick and Chevrolet have been winning all kinds of awards for quality, customer satisfaction, dealer service etc. I am on my third Buick Enclave, 2009. 2012, and 2016 and they all were(are) extremely well made and high quality. Very minor issues and dealer always fixed them.

Take a hard look at the big three and do your research on line for quality and customer comments then look for a clean car through CarFax, dealer certified used cars etc. The big three have come a long way since 2008 and I agree with DL.

Quote Originally Posted by dl7265 View Post
    Wrong .. Buick is one of the highest quality cars built currently .
    DL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chuck

Buicks
    1932 Model 67S
    1967 GS 400
    1967 Sport Wagon 400
    1967 GS 400 Convertible
    1973 Riviera
    2016 Enclave

Others
    1929 Model A Ford Pickup
    1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Phaeton
    1965 Corvette Coupe 365/4 spd
    2006 Chevy SSR pickup
    2007 Corvette Indy Pace Car replica

It amazes me how American citizens are so quick to condemn a product from a American company based on some past experience (or sheep mentality) and send money overseas. A Chevy Cruze is every bit as good a car as a Corolla and not butt ugly like the new Corolla. And the new Prius....they off the deep end with that styling.
    Time and technology move on....why not have an open mind? I wasn't even born in this country but I figure if I live here I'd like to try to support it. Is that too difficult a concept to grasp?

I've recently been looking at replacing the commuter car ( 1999 Neon ), was at the local Chevy dealer having the oil changed in the Avalanche.
    Took the opportunity to test drive 4 new Cruzes and a couple Malibus. I didn't like the base models in either car. The Preimere edition of both models really were nice. The move from 16" to 17" wheels on the Cruze gave it a totally improved ride.
    I know he OP was asking bout Buicks, but thought I'd put in my 02.
    I think I'll wait till the end of 2017,as I'm stubbornly sticking to my goal of hitting 300,000 on the Neon! Only New car I've bought and it's been a good one, although I purposely bought it with no fancy stuff..not even a cd player! Currently at 254,000.
    The Avalanche is a 2012 I bought with 24,000. Good rig!
    I will check out the Buick Dealer before then to check them out.
    Harold Prouty
    1970 Skylark Custom
    1971 Skylark GS350 clone
    1970 Camaro RS
    1976 Ford F100 4X4 ( Shop Truck )

Comparing Buick which is a Division of General Motors Co. to Toyota Motors Co. Is not a fair comparison . Sales comparison would be more fair comparing Buick to Lexus which is a Division of Toyota . GM has 12 Divisions or brands and Toyota has 5 . I believe both GM and Toyota are somewhat on par at 3 million + each as Buick and Lexus are at about 200,000 and 300,000 plus each . Now compare the Chevrolet Division to the cars with the Toyota Division moniker only and again you will see both Divisions sold 2 million + each. Which includes trucks .

Buicks and Lexus don't sell trucks . Buick is rated as a semi luxury car and Lexus as a luxury. Buick has always had it sights on competing with part of the Lexus market .
    Chevrolet and Toyota are both common like 0+ blood
    GM and Toyota motors are both global cooperations .
    Last edited by Dennis S; 01-11-2017 at 01:31 AM.
    Regards Dennis
    1971 Buick GS Stage 1 warmed thru N-25's https://vimeo.com/183517579?utm_sour...campaign=28749
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo T
    2004 Buick Regal GS SC
    1998 GMC CrewCab 4X4 Longbed (Buick don't make Trucks)
    Former Buicks
    1961 Buick Electra 2DR (Hurricane Irene Flood victim)
    1965 Skylark Gran Sport (first car)
    1965 Riviera 401
    1968 GS400, TH400
    1986 T-Type Regal Bill Blass edition
    1972 Buick Sportwagon

Quote Originally Posted by BQUICK View Post
    It amazes me how American citizens are so quick to condemn a product from a American company based on some past experience (or sheep mentality) and send money overseas. A Chevy Cruze is every bit as good a car as a Corolla and not butt ugly like the new Corolla. And the new Prius....they off the deep end with that styling.
    Time and technology move on....why not have an open mind? I wasn't even born in this country but I figure if I live here I'd like to try to support it. Is that too difficult a concept to grasp?

I couldn't agree more.

Bob H.
    1953 Buick 455 TA Aluminum SE Stg2 Heads, B4B Intake, S/P Turbo 400, Gear Vendor, 3.42 Posi. A/C
    1970 GS Project Getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by BQUICK View Post
    Probably the best comment yet

Matt

Crower Level3 cam
    Stage 1 springs
    BMR 1.5" drop springs

Another bit.

Toyota Corp. employs about 44,000 Americans out of 330,000 employees
    General Motors Corp. employs about 78,000 american employees out of 209,000

GM is now owned by Motors Liquidation Company which bought the GM brand and its assets .
    Regards Dennis
    1971 Buick GS Stage 1 warmed thru N-25's https://vimeo.com/183517579?utm_sour...campaign=28749
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo T
    2004 Buick Regal GS SC
    1998 GMC CrewCab 4X4 Longbed (Buick don't make Trucks)
    Former Buicks
    1961 Buick Electra 2DR (Hurricane Irene Flood victim)
    1965 Skylark Gran Sport (first car)
    1965 Riviera 401
    1968 GS400, TH400
    1986 T-Type Regal Bill Blass edition
    1972 Buick Sportwagon

The hype about Honda and Toyota being more reliable WAS exaggerated at best. Now the quality is more in GMs favor then Honda or Toyota. As technology evolves there are growing pains. Here are a few facts to compare Buick to any rice burner. First car to complete a endurance race around the world, Invented the ohv engine, saved GM from bankruptcy more then once, was building race cars that Chevrolet among others drove, has always been the foundation brand for GM, was the 3rd best selling car several times, is the last blue collar American brand in the middle price field, invented turn signals (1937?), first brand to make ohv engines standard (1932?), first production car to reach 100mph (century), first mass production and first aluminum v6 (1961?), highest torque rated motor of the muscle era, oldest surviving US auto company, was (is) the best selling car in China FOR A REASON (China respects it's heritage and Buick is a part of their history. Yes Buick hasn't had such incredible feats lately, but history don't lie and if their history shows anything its that Buick is a survivor and evolves. Just look at the age demographics. The key is the lower the age of people who buy a brand the "healthier" their consumer base. Buicks average buyer age dropped more then ANY auto brand. That is a good thing and means they are doing something right.

Ok I'm done now lol
    BCA and 1959 Division Member

Current Owned Buicks
    1970 Electra 225 Convertible (loaded + factory tow package and posi) (455 powered of course)
    2002 Rendezvous CXL

Current spare motors
    1959 364 nailhead (rebuilt from the ground up)
    1975 Buick 455 (future motor for the Electra)

Previously owned Buicks
    5 1959 LeSabres (2dr and 4dr including factory stick shift)
    2 1958 Specials (4drs)
    1 1997 Riviera Supercharged

GM wouldn't even call itself an American Company...

GM=Global Corporation

Again, somebody came on here suggesting they wanted to look into a newer car. I didn't intend to start a holy war over the topic by simply saying I've had bad luck with GM over the years (not just that van) and that my son just bought a new Camry and it was a good deal. That's it. I've got no frickin' Toyota tattoo. You've only had great experiences with GM. Good for you. I haven't. You want to gamble on a new GM purchase. Go for it. I'm out. My money, my prerogative.

Last edited by Brian Albrecht; 01-11-2017 at 06:51 AM.

My point was just to be more open minded. I try to preach it in my own family to little avail. My daughter and sister: Have to have a Toyota/Lexus, Apple computer/Iphone, Sony TV. They act like everything else is obviously a lesser product. Just not true anymore. Competition improves quality and underdogs sometimes win.

But I race a Buick....and a Buick powered Jaguar. Talk about being underdog and going against the grain!

They're lousy and the quality just isn't there anymore like the 1990-2004 LeSabres had.
    My daily driver for the past 3 years is a 2002 LeSabre, and I've been very disappointed with its frequency of repairs. The engine and transmission have performed flawlessly---everything else, not so good! I stepped up to the Buick after 20 years and over 500,000 miles in Ford Escorts, and I expected better.
    John

"There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Historically that era LeSabre is rock solid and highly reliable, of course there are examples that break the norm in any model and brand. You bought a 12 year old used car at the time, there are a lot of variable and unknowns as to if it is a good used car or not.
    1990 Reatta Convertible

Wow! Did this thread ever take a crap on itself. So Matt, have you gained any insight as to the virtues of a newer Buick?
    Nick

'67 GS 400 HT

My Garage........... http://www.v8buick.com/garage_vehicl...vehicle&id=840

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    My daily driver for the past 3 years is a 2002 LeSabre, and I've been very disappointed with its frequency of repairs. The engine and transmission have performed flawlessly---everything else, not so good! I stepped up to the Buick after 20 years and over 500,000 miles in Ford Escorts, and I expected better.

back when i was turning wrenches these cars were everywhere. the bonnevilles, 88s, lesabres, and the impala. by no means were they the best on the road. they ate wheel bearings, motor mounts and springs. the brake lines were a mess with abs pump in front of the passenger tire and all the brake lines to the pump and from the pump got a constant spray from the tire. they had the crappy plastic intake that would shatter in the cold or melt at the egr valve. it was such a common failure that dorman made the intake. not to mention the coil packs, egr valves and fuel pumps. they also rusted before your eyes.

and honestly, probably the dorkiest looking car gm ever made. the Bonneville was decent looking, but the 88 and the lesabre were terrible.
    Joe
    71 Skylark Custom- 465 Stage 2. auto gear M22W... Track bound hoping for 11.20s

71 Skylark "Buzzin' 1/2 Dozen"
    250-6, TH350, 3.42s RIP

74 Apollo, 70 350-4, 2004r, 3.73s. Buckets/console. Soon to be 430 powered, hoping for 12.50s (hers)

66 Olds Jetstar88. The 2-2-1. Two Barrel, Two Speed, single exhaust.. Driver

05 2500hd Duramax- Short cab, long box- awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by 69GS400s View Post
    I believe the 3.8 BUICK motor was rated one of the top ten reliable motors ever produced
    Just curious Alan, what were the other nine? I'm guessing that the "leaning tower of power" was among them.
    John Codman
    Formerly owned Buicks:
    '33,'48, '51, '52, '54, '55 (3), '56, '60 LeSabre 3 sp stick.
    264 powered '53 Mercury
    322 then 264 powered 55 Ford
    264 powered '56 Chevy
    Presently - 431 nailhead powered '82 C-10

There are over 300 million people in the U.S. where are they all, you certainly can't see them. No kidding? Your logic is flawed, of course you can't see them all, but they are out there.

Bob H.
    1953 Buick 455 TA Aluminum SE Stg2 Heads, B4B Intake, S/P Turbo 400, Gear Vendor, 3.42 Posi. A/C
    1970 GS Project Getting close.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast