Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home hot water heater options

My 25 year old tank is likely due for replacement soon..... surprised it lasted this long!
    Considering going with an electric tankless heater.
    Currently looking at a whole house unit around 24kw, which should provide about 3 gpm with water inlet temp of 47 deg. Should be more than sufficient for one shower/sink in use at a time.
    It's a modest size house, 1550 sq ft rancher, less than 40 ft run to each of the 2 bathrooms. Considered several point-of use heaters but they will require too much wiring and breaker box space.
    The 3 element heater will require 3x 40 amp breakers and 8 Ga wiring, which is DIY. I don't have natural gas and not considering propane at this time.

Home Depot has a TODAY ONLY sale on a 24kw Atmor Thermopro for $299. Great price for a heater with this capacity.
    Any opinions on this brand or other good options? I may pull the trigger later today after more research.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ATMOR-The...24TP/300164464
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

Default Re: Home hot water heater options

I looked at a tankless gas unit. the reviews are terrible. most folks aren't impressed with the hot/cold sandwich either.
    Joe
    71 Skylark Custom- 465 Stage 2. auto gear M22W... Track bound hoping for 11.20s

71 Skylark "Buzzin' 1/2 Dozen"
    250-6, TH350, 3.42s RIP

74 Apollo, 70 350-4, 2004r, 3.73s. Buckets/console. Soon to be 430 powered, hoping for 12.50s (hers)

66 Olds Jetstar88. The 2-2-1. Two Barrel, Two Speed, single exhaust.. Driver

05 2500hd Duramax- Short cab, long box- awesome!

When the electric resistance water heater here STB, I will replace it with a GE or Rheem heat pump unit. I think CONSUMER REPORTS liked the Rheem better due to it being a bit more servicable. This is probably not the best choice in a northern state, but it makes a lot of sense here in Florida. Some states (Massachusetts is one) offer or have offered energy credits that make the heater almost free.
    Last edited by John Codman; 01-08-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    John Codman
    Formerly owned Buicks:
    '33,'48, '51, '52, '54, '55 (3), '56, '60 LeSabre 3 sp stick.
    264 powered '53 Mercury
    322 then 264 powered 55 Ford
    264 powered '56 Chevy
    Presently - 431 nailhead powered '82 C-10

Quote Originally Posted by John Codman View Post
    ......heat pump unit........
    I took a quick look at those too. Cost around $999. Presently there is a $350 rebate offered by my power company, PECO. Looks like the $300 federal rebate ended on Dec 31 2016. $350 after both rebates would have been a great deal!
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

Something to consider is how much flow does it take before it turns on? If you have a low flow shower head, it may not flow enough water to trigger the heater to turn on. I had to turn the temperature way down on the hot water heater so I wouldn't have to turn on the cold water at all, and I had to turn on the hot water in the sink before there was enough flow to turn the water heater on.
    alan

It isn't what happens to you that matters most, but rather what you choose to do about it.

'73 Estate wagon - Best ET 11.74, best MPH 117.13

I have an electric tankless for the master bath only. The water heater is far away from that bath. You had to wait several minutes before the hot water got there. Not any more, and have not had any problems with cold water comming out of it.
    Fred Weisse
    67 GS400 4 Speed Convertible
    70 GSX Stage1
    70 GS Stage1 Conv
    87 GNX
    And Much Much More

"Every Breath You Take, Every Move You Make, I'll Be Watching You" Our Gov't at work.

I'd want to speak with someone directly who has the specific unit you are planning on buying in use for a few months. I've never been convinced that a whole house unit will provide nuisance free hot water. The point-of-use units however have proven themselves over and over but really aren't practical to install more than one in the average home. Advertised energy savings of a whole house unit vs a traditional tank can be very subjective based on actual energy cost/KWhr and many other variables. XXX energy savings is an easy claim to make because less than 1% of owners would have the knowledge and equipment to be able to accurately determine what the true savings are for their particular usage habits. Just my skeptical nature I guess.
    Jason Z
    66-73 Rivs
    ROA Member
    Check out ROA Right Here http://www.rivowners.org/

"I am too poor to buy anything but the best"

I will just stick with a regular gas-fired hot water heater. I currently have a high efficiency unit that was installed in 2000.How many more years it has left before it dies, I do not know.
    A friend, a retired plumber installed a p-o-u unit and it failed in less than a month. Warranty replaced it. Works for him.
    Gerry
    1972 GS 350 ht #s
    2015 Chev Colorado Z71
    2015 Chevy Cruze

Water heater, not Hot Water Heater. I was 'corrected' years ago by my grandson in the wholesale plumbing supply business.
    I think the OP only has electric water heaters as an option. I never had experience with an electric. A friend of ours has a total electric home. Because of it, they get a discounted bill.
    Jerry
    '62 LeSabre 4dr. sedan
    '65 Skylark convt.
    '67 Skylark 2dr. hdtp.
    '30 Ford Roadster pickup
    '68 Nova SS
    '69 Z/28 RS apart
    '70 Camaro RS race project
    '71 Z/28 RS
    '73 Beetle convt. project
    '78 Futura
    '78 Fairmont wgn project
    '83 Olds Delta 88 Royale
    '88 Dakota
    '92 Plymouth
    '05 Silverado 4x4
    '14 Dodge Journey Blacktop edt.
    My name's Jerry and I'm a caraholic.

I am on my second tankless. first one lasted 10+ years and with kids it was priceless.
    it went bad because i never ran the condensation line out.
    second one we put in 3 years ago, again priceless. never run out of hot water
    we ever filled the jacuzzi with it by running a hose from the utility sink
    you can set high heat limit ect.
    low flow works just fine. can run washer and shower same time.
    you couldn't give me a typical water heater.
    $$$* 1967 Buick GS 400 *$$$

Joe M.

1967 GS 400 sport coupe, frame off restomod BBB
    1967 Skylark sport coupe 340 peg leg. (has been laid to rest)
    1987 K5 Blazer Silverado 4x4,
    new 4 bolt main 350 , 700r4. restored for hunting only
    1999 GMC Sierra, 6.0 The work truck
    2015 Camaro 2SS, black on black. 426hp stock

I considered a tankless heater the last time I had to replace an old conventional heater. I asked a plumber friend about them and he asked if I had a water softener. He said that, in areas with hard water, a tankless heater won't last long. He said a local plumbing supply had a pile of clogged, ruined tankless heaters behind the shop 4 feet tall. If you have hard water and don't have a softener this is something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey15 View Post
    Water heater, not Hot Water Heater. I was 'corrected' years ago by my grandson in the wholesale plumbing supply business.
    Ok, a COLD water heater then!

Well, the 24kW Atmor I was looking at sold out already.

Did lots of reading today, it sounds like it would work well for my needs.
    A few downsides include the extra cost of 40A breakers and 100 ft of 8 ga wire, which will add over $100 for the DIY install.
    It'll draw 100 amps, which is fine for my 200A panel, but older homes may not have the capacity.
    I do have my own well, so the extra cold water will reduce it's output a bit, which is considered in choosing the larger 24kW unit.
    Some suggest periodic cleaning, especially with hard water. Keeping the max temp down will help reduce scale buildup.
    The manufacturer, Atmor, will not honor the warranty unless it's installed by a licensed electrician.... so no warranty for me. I also can't find a website for them, so I'm concerned about support and replacement parts.... posted a question on the HD site about parts so we'll see.

My present water heater uses about 177 kWh a month.... 38% of my electric usage! I figure it's about $300 a year.
    The tankless should reduce my hot water bill approx 30%, or about $100 a year.
    With the tankless being about $150 more (install cost) than a conventional tank heater, it'll pay for itself in 18 months. Should save $100 annually after that.
    Now to wait for another deal to come along......hope my present unit holds out till then!
    Walt K

My buddy is a plumbing contractor, he says stay away from tankless. They have issues and not much if any cost savings.

When the electric resistance water heater here STB, I will replace it with a GE or Rheem heat pump unit. I think CONSUMER REPORTS liked the Rheem better due to it being a bit more servicable. This is probably not the best choice in a northern state, but it makes a lot of sense here in Florida. Some states (Massachusetts is one) offeror have offered energy credits that make the heater almost free.
    As a HVAC contractor in Florida you are correct in saying nearly free hot water. there are draw backs. you wont get the heat you need in the winter. and after a few years the pump in the reclaim unit will fail. most of the time the customer dosent even know.Another thing to consider, if you have a newer unit it may void the warranty if the system is cut into.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    I considered a tankless heater the last time I had to replace an old conventional heater. I asked a plumber friend about them and he asked if I had a water softener. He said that, in areas with hard water, a tankless heater won't last long. He said a local plumbing supply had a pile of clogged, ruined tankless heaters behind the shop 4 feet tall. If you have hard water and don't have a softener this is something to keep in mind.
    I have had a propane fired whole house on demand unit for 12 years with out one problem. Installed it when we built the house. A softener is almost a must have on well water. If I had it to do over again I'd put a smaller on demand unit in the kitchen and each bathroom.

Just my 2 cents worth
    ROA Member # 13359
    BCA #46919
    BPG #2320
    68 Riviera: Show car.
    78 Regal:Track car 1.47 60'- 7.00.9 1/8 mile, 11.14 1/4

Hey Briz, What do you mean "if the system is cut into"?
    John Codman
    Formerly owned Buicks:
    264 powered '53 Mercury
    264 powered '56 Chevy

When the electric resistance water heater here STB, I will replace it with a GE or Rheem heat pump unit. I think CONSUMER REPORTS liked the Rheem better due to it being a bit more servicable. This is probably not the best choice in a northern state, but it makes a lot of sense here in Florida. Some states (Massachusetts is one) offer or have offered energy credits that make the heater almost free.
    GE has discontinued production due to poor demand.
    Nick Rabi
    BPG # 1473
    1972 Centurion Convertible 13.30 @ 103 mph
    1982 Regal racecar 10.44 @ 125
    2012 Chevy 2500HD Tow Biotch

Walt, have you compared the likely cost savings with a new electric unit? It's sure to be way more efficient than your near-20 year old heater.
    Ex-1968 GS350
    Ex-1998 Riviera

Hey Briz, What do you mean "if the system is cut into"?
    To install a hot water recovery unit on a heat pump system the hot freon line going back to the compressor has to be cut and routed through the recovery unit. Once the system is breached the warranty may be void. However, I dont know of one service tech that would report that while ordering replacement parts under warranty. There are stand alone heat
    pump water heaters but Id never seen one for anything but a pool.
    ROA Member # 13359
    BCA #46919
    BPG #2320
    68 Riviera: Show car.
    78 Regal:Track car 1.47 60'- 7.00.9 1/8 mile, 11.14 1/4

I'm getting to close to having to do this. I have a geothermal system in my house and the 80 gallon hot water tank is hooked up to it. Somehow excess heat from the compressor heats the water and assists the tank. Well, it's 20 years old now. Still working, but I know it's gotta be nearing the end of it's life.

And I have an all electric house. So a high efficiency 80 gallon replacement tank (got 2 teenagers) with an air heat pump is gonna cost me about $1700 just for the tank. Then it's gotta get installed. And I don't think I can do this one as it's connected to the geothermal system. I don't wanna take a line off and have glycol all over my basement floor.
    Phillip Sedlon
    Wadswoth,OH
    1970 GS convertible, 462/200-4R, (4250 lbs with me), 11.86 at 112 mph, 1.59 60'
    1978 Chevy Z28, 350/4-speed, no where near as fast.........yet!

people I know that have the electric ones hated them had nothing but problems. gas ones seem to work good. they do take a few mins to get warm water but they work.
    66 skylark 2 dr hartop...... in progression
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v237/nekkidhillbilly/

cjp69 is offline Platinum Level Contributor

I just replaced my 20 year old 50 gallon propane water heater with a new 50 gallon propane water heater. Cost was $600, and since I now have a new one compared to a 20 year old one, I am getting more hot water and it heats up faster. And it was a direct bolt in. Sure, maybe I could have saved a few bucks annually if I went with a tankless or something else, but the extra install time and upfront cost was not worth it to me.
    Chris

70 Stage 1 4 speed for sale or trade

Had a tankless water heater in my 5th wheel and loved it, never run out of hot water and it was instant. When my unit eventually goes in my townhouse I will go tankless without doubt. Space saving is substantial as well if you happen to live somewhere that a large tank infringes on storage or living space.
    1967 Special Deluxe Hardtop Sport Coupe
    1990 Reatta Convertible
    2003 Thunderbird Convertible
    2016 Hyundai Sante Fe Turbo Sport

80 gallon electric seems like a huge money waster to me. I have a 40 gallon natural gas
    and have all the hot water I'd ever need. Electric on demand raises a big flag for me, especially
    with cold well water. My brother switched over to a gas on demand tankless and it performs
    very poorly - you have to run the water for almost 2 minutes and the shower is less than
    30' away. Pulling 100 amps? That's a lot. Anyone every installed two of these units
    instead of using one to feed everything?
    1967 Buick Skylark 340-4 - 200-4r Trans
    with 3.36 posi rear,B&M Lockup Convertor,
    hand ported heads, 650cfm Edelbrock AVS

I have a bosch tankless gas fired water heater and it paid for itself in less than a year (that was more than 15 years ago)

True, they need good water pressure to get really hot, and some low flow faucets and shower heads don't get along well with them (thanks al gore), but the savings are tremendous. Some low flow faucets and shower heads have restrictors that can be removed or drilled out, or check with suppliers to make sure the fixture you get will flow the max allowable 2.2gpm. The temp in my basement went down 10 degrees after I installed it. That's how much heat I was loosing with the old conventional 40 gallon. All in all I'm very pleased with it. It takes an additional 10-12 seconds to get the hot water, but you will never run out. Best improvement I ever did.
    No, its not a chevy motor

Steve Mario

'71 Skylark, street/strip beater w/JW and T/A goodies!

(JW prepped 462 short block, ported T/A Stage 1 TE heads w/stage 3 valves, 1050 Dominator, Super Scavengers, 3400 stall TH400, runs like a raped ape, and leaves brown skid marks on the passenger seat.)

Correction on the above: It was the GE that was more serviceable and quieter.
    John Codman
    Formerly owned Buicks:
    264 powered '53 Mercury
    264 powered '56 Chevy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast