Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Home hot water heater options

Quote Originally Posted by 67skylark27 View Post
    80 gallon electric seems like a huge money waster to me. I have a 40 gallon natural gas
    and have all the hot water I'd ever need. Electric on demand raises a big flag for me, especially
    with cold well water. My brother switched over to a gas on demand tankless and it performs
    very poorly - you have to run the water for almost 2 minutes and the shower is less than
    30' away. Pulling 100 amps? That's a lot. Anyone every installed two of these units
    instead of using one to feed everything?
    My bride and I had a 35-gallon electric in our vacation home in Cape Coral FL. We never once ran out of hot water. The major issue with hot water in SW Florida is that the pipes are run in the unheated crawl space above the living area. During the (fortunately) relatively rare colder nights (40ish) it takes forever to get hot water to the more distant faucets.
    John Codman
    Formerly owned Buicks:
    '33,'48, '51, '52, '54, '55 (3), '56, '60 LeSabre 3 sp stick.
    264 powered '53 Mercury
    322 then 264 powered 55 Ford
    264 powered '56 Chevy
    Presently - 431 nailhead powered '82 C-10

most tankless ive seen a lot have 120 volt electric ingiters so low pressure shouldn't make a difference on them. any water moving through it should trip that. there are some that use water valve only to fire the gas. those I could see pressure issues.
    66 skylark 2 dr hartop...... in progression
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v237/nekkidhillbilly/

Quote Originally Posted by John Codman View Post
    My bride and I had a 35-gallon electric in our vacation home in Cape Coral FL. We never once ran out of hot water. The major issue with hot water in SW Florida is that the pipes are run in the unheated crawl space above the living area. During the (fortunately) relatively rare colder nights (40ish) it takes forever to get hot water to the more distant faucets.
    Insulating the water lines with the foam pipe wrap helps. Also, a circulator can be installed and have hot water right away.

If the circulator pump is put on a timer, similar to what is used on a lamp to turn it on and off when nobody is home, you can set it to only run at times you will most likely need instant hot water. That will minimize extra heating of the water while in circulation mode.
    Michael

1964 Skylark

honestly you just turn it on wait about a minute or two its hot. its not like it a ten minute process. other than washing hands its no big deal. dishwater wait a min before starting. shower chill on the commode for minute or take a dump or something while it warms up.
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit

I have a very new 50gal gas water heater, and in AZ it seems they are always installed in the garage. Being in the desert, everyone tends to be very water conservation-minded, as you would expect. I've always had gas water heaters, and love them as long as the capacity is sufficient. The problem we have here, is that the master bathroom is at the farthest possible point from where the water heater is located. It honestly takes about 3 minutes running the shower before there's any hot water. How the heck is putting the heater in the garage conservation-minded? Even the kitchen sink which is about mid-house, takes a couple minutes to get hot water. Aaaaand that's about the only complaint I have about living here.
    Ex-1968 GS350
    Ex-1998 Riviera

I have an uncle who is as cheap as they come. he is tremendously wealthy. he has a camp in the Adirondacks that they spend the summers at. it's pretty remote. the house is fed by a spring. the water comes out of the ground at 38 degrees. his electric hot water tank couldn't keep up during a shower. the incoming water cooled the tank right off and the heating element was ineffective. the electric meter was spinning too fast for his liking as well. he eventually rigged a system so the incoming water to the tank took a loop outside the camp and onto the hot black roof of the camp. he had a 50' black hose coiled on the shingles. the water returning to the tank was warm. it was like a preheater system. brilliantly simple and effective. when they leave for Florida he drains it. if i lived in the south or out west I might rig a similar system. neat idea anyway.
    Joe
    71 Skylark Custom- 465 Stage 2. auto gear M22W... Track bound hoping for 11.20s

71 Skylark "Buzzin' 1/2 Dozen"
    250-6, TH350, 3.42s RIP

74 Apollo, 70 350-4, 2004r, 3.73s. Buckets/console. Soon to be 430 powered, hoping for 12.50s (hers)

66 Olds Jetstar88. The 2-2-1. Two Barrel, Two Speed, single exhaust.. Driver

05 2500hd Duramax- Short cab, long box- awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I have a very new 50gal gas water heater, and in AZ it seems they are always installed in the garage. Being in the desert, everyone tends to be very water conservation-minded, as you would expect. I've always had gas water heaters, and love them as long as the capacity is sufficient. The problem we have here, is that the master bathroom is at the farthest possible point from where the water heater is located. It honestly takes about 3 minutes running the shower before there's any hot water. How the heck is putting the heater in the garage conservation-minded? Even the kitchen sink which is about mid-house, takes a couple minutes to get hot water. Aaaaand that's about the only complaint I have about living here.
    turn the sink on to get the hot water then get then cut on shower. idk how much water is wasted in a few mins anyhow.
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit

Quote Originally Posted by 436'd Skylark View Post
    I have an uncle who is as cheap as they come. he is tremendously wealthy. he has a camp in the Adirondacks that they spend the summers at. it's pretty remote. the house is fed by a spring. the water comes out of the ground at 38 degrees. his electric hot water tank couldn't keep up during a shower. the incoming water cooled the tank right off and the heating element was ineffective. the electric meter was spinning too fast for his liking as well. he eventually rigged a system so the incoming water to the tank took a loop outside the camp and onto the hot black roof of the camp. he had a 50' black hose coiled on the shingles. the water returning to the tank was warm. it was like a preheater system. brilliantly simple and effective. when they leave for Florida he drains it. if i lived in the south or out west I might rig a similar system. neat idea anyway.
    would freeze in winter in ky I have see a clear pipe that does the same thing but uses a greenhouse effect. had a heat line on it for night use. seems like a headache still.
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit

Quote Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
    turn the sink on to get the hot water then get then cut on shower. idk how much water is wasted in a few mins anyhow.
    Well it's a few minutes numerous times daily, with 2 bathrooms and kitchen. It adds up, and we generally don't have water to waste here.

I don't know how turning on the kitchen faucet first will speed getting hot water to the master bath, we just turn the shower on and wait. Either way the hot water has to travel from the garage all the way to the far end of the house. There's really not any solution, as long as the water heater is where it is. Not a major issue, just annoying.
    Ex-1968 GS350
    Ex-1998 Riviera

David G

Your situation is one that the circulation system I posted in #28 would benefit from. I did a kitchen remodel for a customer about 5-1/2 years ago. Their water heater is about 40 ft from the kitchen as well as the master bath. We installed a Rheem 40 gal. water heater with an extra 1/2" return line for the circulator pump. We set the timer up to operate the pump during the hours they usually need hot water. They have hot water at all faucets right away because the pump circulates to the farthest point from the water heater.

You can also let the pump operate 24/7 if you want instant hot water at all times, but it is a little less energy efficient.

They have been very happy with the system.
    Last edited by 64 skylark mike; 01-12-2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: clarify statement
    Michael

1964 Skylark

Quote Originally Posted by 64 skylark mike View Post
    David G

.... the circulation system I posted in #28.......
    About $200 from HD, plus installation costs. It would be a nice solution. The recirculation system could service the whole house but depends on how many branches your plumbing system has.

Another option.... an under-sink, point of use electric heater. A small unit for one sink would be fairly low cost.
    The benefit would be it only uses power while it's heating water for the first few minutes until the hot water from the tank gets there.
    If you want to supply a sink and a shower it'll require a higher capacity unit which will add cost.

Back to my system...
    I'm still not convinced a whole-house tankless electric is best for me.
    Currently considering a conventional electric tank but running it on a timer. Set it to warm up for a hot shower, and turn it off while I'm at work or sleeping.
    Found an informative website on water heating. Features comparisons of different systems and tips to reduce costs. Lots of info to take in!
    http://waterheatertimer.org/

Ace Hardware has a sale on Kenmore water heaters until 1/16. $300 for basic heater, 6 year warranty. $435 for unit with 12 year warranty.

Thinking a tankless heater in the garage would work for supplying warm water to a pressure washer for wintertime car washing!
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12