Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default '67 GS sun-visor conversion

The sun-visors in the Buick "A" body cars have always bugged me. For some reason Buick used the short versions that are not supported in the center of the windshield via the the rear view mirror bracket. I know that Chevy and Pontiac had the longer center supported visors in their cars, so why not in a supposedly up-scale car line? And the same is true for other interior trim pieces such as the shiny trim around the foot pedals and headliner that the lower line cars got. I don't get it!? Anyway, I converted my visors to the longer versions and i'm very pleased with the results. Here's some pics................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chi-Town67; 01-11-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    Nick

'67 GS 400 HT

My Garage........... http://www.v8buick.com/garage_vehicl...vehicle&id=840

Default Re: '67 GS sun-visor conversion

Thats a great idea. looks real good.
    $$$* 1967 Buick GS 400 *$$$

Joe M.

1967 GS 400 sport coupe, frame off restomod BBB
    1967 Skylark sport coupe 340 peg leg. (has been laid to rest)
    1987 K5 Blazer Silverado 4x4,
    new 4 bolt main 350 , 700r4. restored for hunting only
    1999 GMC Sierra, 6.0 The work truck
    2015 Camaro 2SS, black on black. 426hp stock

gokitty is offline Platinum Level Contributor

Way to go,Nick! I believe you will enjoy this mod.Has worked well in Birdie! I copied your pedal trim install...looks factory and really spruces up the interior.

Not all Buicks have short visors. Most I have owned did not have short ones, like the 65 I now have. I don't really know why some do and some do not have the long version, but I always assumed the, originally, less expensive models had the short versions, but that is just an assumption and not a fact. I say originally less expensive because that does not always carry forth in the "A" body cars. Price in these times is more determined by condition and how they have been equipped by the many owners through the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ragtops View Post
    Not all Buicks have short visors. Most I have owned did not have short ones, like the 65 I now have. I don't really know why some do and some do not have the long version, but I always assumed the, originally, less expensive models had the short versions, but that is just an assumption and not a fact. I say originally less expensive because that does not always carry forth in the "A" body cars. Price in these times is more determined by condition and how they have been equipped by the many owners through the years.
    Your '65 is a droptop. I'm pretty sure all the "A" body convertibles had the long visors.
    Nick

'67 GS 400 HT

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town67 View Post
    Your '65 is a droptop. I'm pretty sure all the "A" body convertibles had the long visors.
    would that convert to the 67. If one wanted the longer visor he/she should look for the convertible ones. Asking for a friend
    $$$* 1967 Buick GS 400 *$$$

Joe M.

1967 GS 400 sport coupe, frame off restomod BBB
    1967 Skylark sport coupe 340 peg leg. (has been laid to rest)
    1987 K5 Blazer Silverado 4x4,
    new 4 bolt main 350 , 700r4. restored for hunting only
    1999 GMC Sierra, 6.0 The work truck
    2015 Camaro 2SS, black on black. 426hp stock

OK, I think I must stand corrected as I do/have owned mostly convertibles. My apologies, but mistakes can lead to knowledge, as this has.
    Thanks, Mike
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sunset View Post
    would that convert to the 67. If one wanted the longer visor he/she should look for the convertible ones. Asking for a friend
    I would tell your little friend to buy these.................http://www.ebay.com/itm/350712367634

And these............................................. ...............http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3707503...2F370750307794

And this.............................................. .................https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/C990089/

They are a perfect match for the headliner IF he has the Tier pattern in his car.
    Nick

'67 GS 400 HT

Nick it looks like u have the long rear vier mirror too. Does the longer visor come in contact with the longer mirror when u fold the visor down?
    Ive seen 1 67 hardtop that had long visors with center support and long mirror
    chris
    1967 gs 340
    1967 gs 400 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 455monte View Post
    Nick it looks like u have the long rear vier mirror too. Does the longer visor come in contact with the longer mirror when u fold the visor down?
    Ive seen 1 67 hardtop that had long visors with center support and long mirror
    No Chris, they do not interfere with the mirror.
    Nick

'67 GS 400 HT

Quote Originally Posted by gokitty View Post
    Way to go,Nick! I believe you will enjoy this mod.Has worked well in Birdie! I copied your pedal trim install...looks factory and really spruces up the interior.
    Thanks Arch, I've been meaning to this little task for years now. I had to order visors for another car i'm doing some work on and just went ahead and ordered some for my car at the same time. I know I won't miss constantly straightening out those original visors every time I take off kinda fast from a stoplight. Can't wait for the weather to break and road test the new visors!
    Nick

'67 GS 400 HT

The sun-visors in the Buick "A" body cars have always bugged me. For some reason Buick used the short versions that are not supported in the center of the windshield via the the rear view mirror bracket. I know that Chevy and Pontiac had the longer center supported visors in their cars, so why not in a supposedly up-scale car line?
    Looks good! Something for me to consider in the future.

I was thinking about it and was wondering if it had anything to do with the factory tinting on the windows? I'm not sure if that was an option to order in 67 or if it was a standard item that came on all 67's?