Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I really cant figure some people out . What is the mentality here?

I visit repair shops all day long. One shop I visit is a place owned by a guy in his 70's. Let me set up the story about the shop and the owner-

The place was opened in 1954 by his father and the guy has worked there all his life. He took the place over after his father passed away 15 years ago. Really old repair shop. Its like a time capsule. Nothing has changed in that place since the 60's. The place is dilapidated. It honestly should be condemned. There are holes in the ceiling. Out front are junk cars and crap. It looks like a junkyard. Inside is packed from floor to ceiling with more crap. The guy is a hoarder. I suspect that his father was because Im sure it took decades for the place to look like that. 4 bay shop and you even cant fit a car in there. The place has pathways. Whatever car he fixes has to be done outside. He goes out and garbage picks at night. 99% of the stuff is dumpster fodder but in all that stuff are a few gems like an old Crosley and a Willys Jeep that have been in there for God knows how long. You can hardly see them. Not even sure how you would even get them out

Anyway, the guy has almost no business. No person in their right mind would ever bring their late model car there for anything. He spends his day leaning against one of the junkers out front drinking a beer. His only revenue he has is from other repair shops driving cars over there after they have repaired them for an inspection sticker. What I refer to as "run thoughs". Which BTW, hes gotten in trouble for with the state when the other shops haven't done the right thing as far as repairs. So the inspection machine is his only revenue stream at this point and Im not sure how many hes really doing.

Now the building dept is breathing down his neck about the place and he was lamenting that he's really fallen on hard times and has almost no money. He says that he's burning pallets in his house for heat. I felt a little bad for the guy

So In the back office of the place half hidden on a shelf I see an old Fenton aluminum 3x2 manifold for a Ford 312. Its got three carbs on it, linkage and little chrome scoops. Neat. Its been sitting on that shelf for probably 40 years. I looked them up on Ebay and they go for around $700 all fixed up. And by fixed up I mean intake bead blasted, carbs done over and gone through. I bet I'd have $300 in it by the time it went up on Ebay

Another cool item I spied was a large wall mounted automotive vacuum gauge. Pretty neat item from what I can see of it because its covered in filth. Never seen one before and frankly, I really dont know what something like that is worth

So I say, tell you what Bob, I'll give you $300 for the manifold and $100 for the vacuum gauge. What I honestly think is fair market value. I take out 4 crisp $100 bills out of my pocket and offer it to him. He wouldn't take it. He said that someone offered him much more for the manifold. When? 30 years ago? Im here now with the money in my hand! Who else is going to offer him anything for it? Who else even knows its there?

So the guy refused $400 as he cried about having no money and scrapping copper for pocket money. Can you figure it out?
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675
    "Expert in obsolete technology"

1968 Riviera GS- some assembly required
    1969 Riviera GS- my first car
    1969 GS-350
    1970 Stage 1 4 speed Aquamist
    1970 GS-455 Bamboo Cream beater
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1972 GS-350
    1970 Stellar Industries vintage go kart

Deo duce, ferro comitante

Default Re: I really cant figure some people out . What is the mentality here?

I have faith in you Jason, you will eventually pry the intake and gauge out of him. Throw in a case of beer or two.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    THM400 with Ultimate 258mm converter, Gear Vendors OD
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's Race weight 4025lbs.
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

Yeah, at this point it may be more of a sentimental thing for him. Especially if it's been sitting there that long. Could hold memories of his father.

I think if you leave your name and number and stop by every week or two, he may have a change of heart. Maybe offer to throw in taking him to lunch too if he's that lonely/depressed.

That and a real cold snap could bring him around. Good luck with it.
    Phillip Sedlon
    Wadswoth,OH
    1970 GS convertible, 462/200-4R, (4250 lbs with me), 11.86 at 112 mph, 1.59 60'
    1978 Chevy Z28, 350/4-speed, no where near as fast.........yet!

He must be around the corner from a restaurant with a big dumpster; he just aint hungry enough yet! ws
    Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Don't start VAST projects with HALF VAST ideas

Having no money and getting by the way he has, I believe he is somewhat content and is still holding out for either top dollar or just hoarding without disclosure.
    I have run across folks like this, that have turned down fair offers. what I have found is "For a few dollars more" ( I like using that quote) it will sell.
    5,10 50. not by much. you have to ask after a denial what the magic number is. his "Way more" compared to yours may be minimal.
    If he doesn't price it, it was never for sale
    $$$* 1967 Buick GS 400 *$$$

Joe M.

1967 GS 400 sport coupe, frame off restomod BBB
    1967 Skylark sport coupe 340 peg leg. (has been laid to rest)
    1987 K5 Blazer Silverado 4x4,
    new 4 bolt main 350 , 700r4. restored for hunting only
    1999 GMC Sierra, 6.0 The work truck
    2015 Camaro 2SS, black on black. 426hp stock

Go back at night and steel all his skids
    1968 Buick GS400
    Blueprint Roller SBC 383 430HP 460TQ
    Hydraulic roller camshaft .528" Intake lift .536" Exhaust lift 230 Intake duration @ .050" 240 Exhaust duration @ .050" 112 lobe separation. Holley 750 4160 - TH350

ive tried to buy cars off people before they want way to much for them only to scrap them for less than I offered a week later.
    66 skylark 2 dr hartop...... in progression
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v237/nekkidhillbilly/

Quote Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
    ive tried to buy cars off people before they want way to much for them only to scrap them for less than I offered a week later.
    Yep, lost out on a '63 Impala SS just the way you mention.
    Brian

1972 GS 350 Seamist Green
    2002 Trans Am WS6 6-speed

Did you ask him what his price was. This sounds like Alan Wanders Garage !
    *1972 GS Stage1 Numbers matching Survivor"
    * 2 - 87 "GRAND NATIONALS" Most Optioned $OLD and GrandNasty
    * 1969 Electra 225 Custom--"RED on RED CONVERTIBLE" (BiggestRed)--Numbers matching California Survivor"
    * 1970 Electra 225 Custom--AquaMist--Numbers matching Survivor--$OLD !!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BYoung View Post
    Yep, lost out on a '63 Impala SS just the way you mention.
    I never had anything special but they where cars I could have put a few bucks in and flipped for cash. one was like a 92 fwd delta 88. guy wanted 850 for it had like 200k miles on it needed paint and a fuel pump. I would only make at most 1000 fixing it prob less. I was like no I cant fix it and come out I offered him 100 bucks over its scrap value (350 or 400 one) and offered to come get it. he shot me down. he scrapped it a week later for 200 bucks and had a 50 dollar rollback bill.

I did try to buy a 79 grand prix that was like mine but black guy wouldn't budge. said he was going to do something with it. it ended up crushed.
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    I have faith in you Jason, you will eventually pry the intake and gauge out of him. Throw in a case of beer or two.
    I really don't care either way. Its like finding money in the street. If I see it, I'll pick it up. I have too many irons in the fire as it is. Just found it odd. I wasnt even doing my usual of offering pennies on the dollar! I thought it was a fair offer. Ive found that no matter what I offered, it wouldn't of been enough. I belive he thinks that if I offer $300, then its gotta be worth $600. And if i offered $600, well, you get the idea....

Reminds me of that joke- Guy is sitting on the roof of his house during a flood. Water is up to the second floor windows. Guy in a rowboat comes by to rescue him. Guy says, "No, God is going to save me". Another rowboat comes by to rescue him. Again, the guy refuses the help and says that God is going to save him. Yet another boat comes by and the guy says the same thing. Eventually the water crests over the roof and the guy drowns in the flood.

He goes to Heaven and asks God why He didnt save him. God says, "I sent three boats!"
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675

1969 GS-350
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1972 GS-350

It's the hoarder mentality. Everything they have is wildly valuable in their mind or they have some idea that makes them think they're gonna use it eventually. It's a legit disorder for some. Depending on how bad it is, they'll keep things like used paper fast food cups because in there mind it's a perfectly good cup, can't get rid of it, that'd be a waste of money.
    Shawn
    "I drive too fast to worry about my cholesterol..."
    -72 Skylark- Project "Rusty Hulk"- 462ci 4 speed street bruiser
    Build Thread: http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?293656-Build-Thread-Project-Rusty-Hulk
    -72 Skylark- The wifes ride, " Elsa " - bone stock and classy cruiser
    BPG #2288 (RIP)
    BCA Member #???? (For Now)

"The garage looks like the house of
    Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde..."

Quote Originally Posted by sriley531 View Post
    It's the hoarder mentality. Everything they have is wildly valuable in their mind or they have some idea that makes them think they're gonna use it eventually. It's a legit disorder for some. Depending on how bad it is, they'll keep things like used paper fast food cups because in there mind it's a perfectly good cup, can't get rid of it, that'd be a waste of money.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675

1969 GS-350
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1972 GS-350

Reminds me of American Pickers.
    Jay Davenport
    70 Skylark 455... Needs paint and interior
    72 GS 355.. Sold
    71 Skylark 355 Mark Burton Twin Turbo 7.67@ 92.1 W/2.01 60ft Ecoboosted SOLD

My father in law uses styrofoam cups till they fall apart, and keeps fast food napkins next to the sink , you use those instead of paper towels off the roll, I'm pretty sure it's the same roll that's been there since last Christmas ha, drives me nuts.
    70 stage 1 Back under construction
    540 Tomahawk, F1c-94 Procharger
    Holley HP EFI, Stage 2 TE's
    Shooting for 1khp at the tire and 5.50s

Sounds like less bucks and more beer might do the trick. $200 cash and 8 12 packs of his favorite suds.

If you really want to learn more about this cat, have a couple with him and help him cleanup some part of the property.
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

Daily drivers (all bought new) 1995 C-1500, 2008 Highlander, 2015 Corolla

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

"A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

Saw that movie twice. One was a spectacular 58 Chevy Impala I used to fix for an elderly neighbor lady and the other was an equally spectacular 64 Chrysler Imperial I used to deliver the evening paper to when I was a kid.

Jason some people can't be helped, they just like to hear themselves whine.

"Let it go, let it go, let it go"

Mikey
    "Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
    Winston Churchill

I never had anything special but they where cars I could have put a few bucks in and flipped for cash. one was like a 92 fwd delta 88. guy wanted 850 for it had like 200k miles on it needed paint and a fuel pump. I would only make at most 1000 fixing it prob less. I was like no I cant fix it and come out I offered him 100 bucks over its scrap value (350 or 400 one) and offered to come get it. he shot me down. he scrapped it a week later for 200 bucks and had a 50 dollar rollback bill.

I did try to buy a 79 grand prix that was like mine but black guy wouldn't budge. said he was going to do something with it. it ended up crushed.
    The guy that owned the GP was black?
    71 GS 350 (mine) Best so far 13.65 @ 98.84 mph
    SP3 track testing to resume in 2016!
    413 cam going away, switching to TA roller, starting again with Stage 1 and Q-Jet, then to SP3 and AED
    87 Grand National (Hers) no passes yet
    00 Monte Carlo
    2001 GMC Safari AWD
    2007 Mazda 3
    Ranch house with 4 dogs and a cat

I agree with the above, beer is an excellent lubricant. As an aside, I'm not a hoarder but I do save unused fast food napkins, plastic forks, spoons, knives, foons and sporks. Also the little salt and pepper packs. I also am trying to see how many times I can reuse the aluminum foil I wrapped the bacon pack in.
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by buick64203 View Post
    I really don't care either way. Its like finding money in the street. If I see it, I'll pick it up. I have too many irons in the fire as it is. Just found it odd. I wasnt even doing my usual of offering pennies on the dollar! I thought it was a fair offer. Ive found that no matter what I offered, it wouldn't of been enough. I belive he thinks that if I offer $300, then its gotta be worth $600. And if i offered $600, well, you get the idea....

Reminds me of that joke- Guy is sitting on the roof of his house during a flood. Water is up to the second floor windows. Guy in a rowboat comes by to rescue him. Guy says, "No, God is going to save me". Another rowboat comes by to rescue him. Again, the guy refuses the help and says that God is going to save him. Yet another boat comes by and the guy says the same thing. Eventually the water crests over the roof and the guy drowns in the flood.

He goes to Heaven and asks God why He didnt save him. God says, "I sent three boats!"

You hit the nail on the head with that one!

(smirk)
    No, its not a chevy motor

Steve Mario

'71 Skylark, street/strip beater w/JW and T/A goodies!

(JW prepped 462 short block, ported T/A Stage 1 TE heads w/stage 3 valves, 1050 Dominator, Super Scavengers, 3400 stall TH400, runs like a raped ape, and leaves brown skid marks on the passenger seat.)

The key word is "hoarder". It's a disease.
    John Codman
    Formerly owned Buicks:
    '33,'48, '51, '52, '54, '55 (3), '56, '60 LeSabre 3 sp stick.
    264 powered '53 Mercury
    322 then 264 powered 55 Ford
    264 powered '56 Chevy
    Presently - 431 nailhead powered '82 C-10

Like Columbo

Ah, just one more thing Jason

I would be remiss if I didn't say you painted that shop perfectly. I swear I could smell it after I was done reading your description.

I now feel stupid though, because my English teacher hated the use of to many I's LOL
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

Daily drivers (all bought new) 1995 C-1500, 2008 Highlander, 2015 Corolla

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

"A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

Quote Originally Posted by John Codman View Post
    The key word is "hoarder". It's a disease.
    This hits the Nail on the Head. No mater what you do, the only way that will leave his hands, will be by His choice & the chances are Slim to None.
    JR
    JR Wills
    Dickinson TX
    AAG-078
    www.autoappraisalgroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by JR Wills View Post
    This hits the Nail on the Head. No mater what you do, the only way that will leave his hands, will be by His choice & the chances are Slim to None.
    JR
    The manifold I think will ultimately be bulldozed along with everything else one day. And I think probably sooner than later
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675

1969 GS-350
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1972 GS-350

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Demko View Post
    The guy that owned the GP was black?
    no car was black..... guy was a coal miner so he was part of the time too. but I had a white one as I do with all of my cars.
    07 silverado 3500 hd 6.0
    12 kia sorento sx
    99 f150
    89 dodge spirit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast