Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I really cant figure some people out . What is the mentality here?

My best friend is a bit like this.... He owns a tractor shop, that is barely staying afloat . The guy is an amazing mechanic, like super good and he does everything from 50s tractors, up to modern vehicles. He is an amazing guy, awesome mechanic but terrible business man. He does not charge enough, and he lets people pay them whenever they can. I have a hell of a time getting him to take my money when he does something for me. I now just buy him things he needs because I know he won't take the cash. He has about 50 vehicles, most of them are worth $2000-$3000 but several of them are in the 10,000 plus range but he never sells anything. He has everything from Mercedes, Vettes, lifted chevy trucks, turbo cars, all sorts of stuff I have been trying to buy a nice Magnum headache rack from a semi off him for a year now. I need it for my tilt deck car hauler and he already agreed to $500 but won't take the cash LOL.

I have just learned that is the way he is... Going right now to go buy the same style Magnum headache rack from a different guy for $600 since at least he wants to make a deal! Then my friend will say "what the heck I needed the cash why didn't you buy mine??? LOL
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Sorry jason I have to say , stop your whining and go find another rare GS for the cost of a tow. with the cost of old speed parts 300 is a steal
    John & Terry Kemper
    GSCA #4322
    BPG #1373

70 Sportwagon

He might be one of those guys who is broke because he has less than 50K in his bank account.

Bob H.
    1953 Buick 455 TA Aluminum SE Stg2 Heads, B4B Intake, S/P Turbo 400, Gear Vendor, 3.42 Posi. A/C
    1970 GS Project Getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Albrecht View Post
    Like Columbo

Ah, just one more thing Jason

I would be remiss if I didn't say you painted that shop perfectly. I swear I could smell it after I was done reading your description.

I now feel stupid though, because my English teacher hated the use of to many I's LOL

Thanks! The place definitely has a unique smell inside. Its a weird combo of old musty garage smell and grease with a hint of mold and mildew. Every time Ive been there , the lights are off so its like walking into a cave.

Its one of those places where every time you go in, you find something you didnt see last time. Even just the details of the building. For example, the front door has an old air conditioner over it. But if you look close, it was installed in the transom window that used to be there. On the inside, there is a brass handle and rod thats still mounted to the molding that was used to operate the opening and closing of that window. Its covered in 100 layers of old paint though. The reveal moldings around the doors of the "showroom" are pretty ornate and you can see there was a window between the showroom and first bay. The rear wall of the showroom still has the original style high mounted shelf that probably had oil cans and what not on display for sale. I looked up the property on the county's website and it said the structure was built in 1938 and was a Shell station.

There is also an old "Globe" single post lift with runways in the first bay. I can almost close my eyes and see the place in its heyday with the two gas pumps out front.
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675
    "Expert in obsolete technology"

1968 Riviera GS- some assembly required
    1969 Riviera GS- my first car
    1969 GS-350
    1970 Stage 1 4 speed Aquamist
    1970 GS-455 Bamboo Cream beater
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1972 GS-350
    1970 Stellar Industries vintage go kart

Deo duce, ferro comitante

Its much simpler than that.

The guy has nothing but some cool stuff. If he sells it he wont have cool stuff anymore and the money will dissappear on consumables. Or he might just not want you to have it because you are doing good and he is not, so by not selling it he has some control over something and something that you dont have which is worth more to him than a little money.
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

Quote Originally Posted by garybuick View Post
    Its much simpler than that.

The guy has nothing but some cool stuff. If he sells it he wont have cool stuff anymore and the money will dissappear on consumables. Or he might just not want you to have it because you are doing good and he is not, so by not selling it he has some control over something and something that you dont have which is worth more to him than a little money.
    Freud would be proud. You've done more than just stumble on it. But beer is more than just a little money, isn't it?

Your Doctoriate in V8 psychology awaits!
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

Daily drivers (all bought new) 1995 C-1500, 2008 Highlander, 2015 Corolla

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

"A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

Could be like one of those store owners where a guy goes in to buy a shovel, and the owner won't sell it to him (it's the last one), because "Then I won't have a shovel to sell!".

Reminds me of a salvage yard not too far from my town - everything is cool, and nothing that is cool is for sale.
    Joe Blogref, Jr.
    '67 Wildcat Convertible

The guy reminds of a guy I know. His home is completely full of junk. The basement has pathways through it. The city made him clean his property up, so he built a 30X60' addition on his 40X100 pole barn. The barns are stuffed completely full of stuff that he has accumulated. His cars, trucks, trailer, Bobcats, Skytrack, etc., that are actually worth taking care of, sit out in the weather! To him everything is worth big $$. He can't figure out why people won't buy any of it. Also, he has rented an old manure 'bunker' (it's cleaned) at a local farm, that is completely full of scrap metal. I told him to haul it all in when the price of scrap was high. He insisted on sorting and cutting the metal to 'foundry size' to get more. So he wasted a bunch of time out in the weather cutting metal. Then the price dropped a lot. Now he lost out. Guys like him and the guy in the OP and of the same mindset.
    Jerry
    '62 LeSabre 4dr. sedan
    '65 Skylark convt.
    '67 Skylark 2dr. hdtp.
    '30 Ford Roadster pickup
    '68 Nova SS
    '69 Z/28 RS apart
    '70 Camaro RS race project
    '71 Z/28 RS
    '73 Beetle convt. project
    '78 Futura
    '78 Fairmont wgn project
    '83 Olds Delta 88 Royale
    '88 Dakota
    '92 Plymouth
    '05 Silverado 4x4
    '14 Dodge Journey Blacktop edt.
    My name's Jerry and I'm a caraholic.

*Hoarder*- Hoarding is the persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions, regardless of their actual value.
    Bob Gable
    70 GS Foe Fiddy 5

Quote Originally Posted by John Codman View Post
    The key word is "hoarder". It's a disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Wills View Post
    This hits the Nail on the Head. No mater what you do, the only way that will leave his hands, will be by His choice & the chances are Slim to None.
    JR
    Agree with the above..

There's no need to evaluate his mentality, he has a disorder or disease of the mind and money, reasoning or beer ain't gonna sway it...

Next time bring two twelve packs and wait till he's half drunk.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    Sent from the dust in front of you!

Quote Originally Posted by rmstg2 View Post
    He might be one of those guys who is broke because he has less than 50K in his bank account.

Bob H.
    ^^^This
    I have an uncle that runs an outdoor power equipment dealer. Made a lot over the years but now it looks more like one of those American pickers hoarder places than a Dealer.
    Rich

1970 GS455
    1987 WE4

Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"?

Life is only limited by Your fears...crazychevy

The brother of a guy I worked for in the 90s had a 69 gto, ram air IV, four speed, rag top, sinking into the mud on their property. The father had two 60s era thunderbirds with newspapers piled all over in a leaky garage. Typical "I'm fixing them up soon" story.
    Paul.

69 skylark, 430, stage one
    69 charger, 440, 6-71 dyers
    89 riviera
    06 charger RT
    90 softail

Guy has mental illness or a disorder that will never allow him to part with this stuff. Probably alienated whatever family he has and somehow thinks that he has all the time in the world to hold out and get the big bucks someday.

Truth be told, someday will never happen and sounding like the lifestyle he is living in his 70's, the mail will pile up and when someone investigates, they will find him in his place dead. Building will be condemned, valuable stuff will be scrapped or sent to the landfill and some long lost relative will show up to reap whatever financial value his property has left.

Seen it, its common.
    Ed

73 Buick Gran Sport Stage 1 (Sold)
    68 Buick GS 400 3spd Convert (Sold)
    71 Chevrolet El Camino SS (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by efogs400 View Post
    Probably alienated whatever family he has
    Funny you should say that. In talking to him, I can tell you that is absolutely true.
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675
    "Expert in obsolete technology"

1968 Riviera GS- some assembly required
    1969 Riviera GS- my first car
    1969 GS-350
    1970 Stage 1 4 speed Aquamist
    1970 GS-455 Bamboo Cream beater
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1972 GS-350
    1970 Stellar Industries vintage go kart

Deo duce, ferro comitante

I am kind of a hoarder and I don't care if people think I am mentally ill. Some days I think I might be! The difference is that my stuff is all inside out of the elements and not in the public eye. I picked it up for relatively little money along the way, except building a storage space for it all, which in turn is worth money. I could drive a nicer car to work, if I sold some stuff. I could buy a nicer house if I sold some stuff. I could eat out for lunch every day and fly to Vegas a few times a year if I sold some stuff.

I would rather have the stuff then money. I can't get the stuff if I were to buy it today. Sometimes I slip and tell people about some of my stuff and then they harass me to buy some of it for a crappy price! For some reason, since I have a project car that they like, somehow I owe it to the car gods to sell it for a fair price to anybody who volunteers to fix it. Maybe I will fix it! Maybe I won't. If you wanted this kind of stuff, you should have tracked it down, bought it and saved it and stored it like I did. I just enjoy tinkering and looking at my stuff. Every few years I finish something, then move on to the next thing. I enjoy fixing stuff and having stuff.

I don't need the nicest stuff, I don't need people to congratulate me on having cool stuff, I don't need the most stuff, but I want just enough stuff to make me happy.

The difference is that I would sell stuff if I didn't have a place to live, or a family member needed something or if I was hungry.

Hopefully this guy can figure out a balance between it all. I know that is hard to do if you have a sentimental attachment to things. The beer idea might work though. I have used it before.
    Chris "too many projects" Paape

1971 GS Stage 1 convertible(in resto, 3rd time)
    1970 GS Stage 1 convertible(Rough)
    1969 GS 400 4speed Convertible(Rougher)
    1971 GS 350 Coupe(my summer driver)
    1971 GS 455 Coupe(another project)
    1970 Buick Sportwagon
    2005 Buick LeSabre
    1999 Chevy Tahoe
    About a hundred cars and parts cars already sold or dismantled. About 20 that should have been kept. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by 70sportwagon View Post
    .... I just enjoy tinkering and looking at my stuff.

simple and honest. I like that.
    1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtop
    1973 LeSabre Custom 2 door hardtop

My Free RPM-Speed-Gear Ratio Calculation Tool

I have a lot of stuff as well. I have sold some of it, and will continue to sell if someone needs something. I will also continue to acquire stuff if the price is right or I need it for use. It is all inside and organized. My shop looks cluttered because I have a few project cars in various stages. If I get so I need $$$, I can/will sell cars or parts.
    Jerry
    '62 LeSabre 4dr. sedan
    '65 Skylark convt.
    '67 Skylark 2dr. hdtp.
    '30 Ford Roadster pickup
    '68 Nova SS
    '69 Z/28 RS apart
    '70 Camaro RS race project
    '71 Z/28 RS
    '73 Beetle convt. project
    '78 Futura
    '78 Fairmont wgn project
    '83 Olds Delta 88 Royale
    '88 Dakota
    '92 Plymouth
    '05 Silverado 4x4
    '14 Dodge Journey Blacktop edt.
    My name's Jerry and I'm a caraholic.

I had a similar shop in my neighborhood. Guy had a repair business for 50+ years. Started out with a detached double garage behind his house then added a large 2 bay double deep building to work on trucks. I guess he was the place to go in the late 50s/early 60s. As cars/trucks got more complicated he "lost his touch" and by the early 80s he wasn't doing much work except for his regular customers that were almost as old as him. He also did inspections and for a little extra you would always pass. When Iowa did away with inspections he spent most of his time sitting around drinking beer.

The guy died and his closest relative was a nephew that nobody had ever seen. My brother offed to buy the house/shop and everything else would be sold at auction. I think the nephew thought he had a gold mine with all the stuff in the building. He accepted my brother's offer and auction day came. Money didn't come in like he thought as most of the stuff was junk, plus boxes and boxes of old paperwork isn't worth much.

One of the auction attendees discovered that the painted office wall was actually a dozen or so stamped metal signs that were turned backwards. The auctioneer started to remove them and the nephew had dollar signs in his eyes. My mother, who worked for a lawyer, pointed out that they were part of the structure of the building so they stay with the building. Auctioneer started to argue with her and she said she could have a lawyer there in 5 minutes if he wanted to continue the discussion. The auctioneer was also a realtor so he knew the rules and knew he was wrong. For helping my brother clean out what was left in the building he gave me a "Walker Exhaust Systems Installed Here" with the back end of a 50s finned car on the sign.

The mentality is sentimentality.
    Ian

1965 Buick Skylark

you should have been straight up with him and told him why you were going to help this dumb ass from his dysfunctional ways of life !! I'm sure he seen right thru u
    Bill
    68 # matching
    72 vert gs clone
    80 turbo trans am /33 years owned
    74 olds 98R 2dht ACRS 20k A title
    85 chevy Silverado K10 lifted/frame off resto
    79 chevy Scottsdale k10 327 plow tk

I bet you if you show up with a couple of garbage cans full of scrap copper pipe and a case of beer .

His eyes would light up
    66 - Skylark 340-4 Bucket Seats

Quote Originally Posted by iowacat View Post
    For helping my brother clean out what was left in the building he gave me a "Walker Exhaust Systems Installed Here" with the back end of a 50s finned car on the sign.
    That sounds cool. Can you attach a photo for us?
    Current Buick: 1969 GS400 convertible Factory Twilight Blue Poly GM code 51 with Pearl bucket seat interior, White top and non air

Daily drivers (all bought new) 1995 C-1500, 2008 Highlander, 2015 Corolla

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

"A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Albrecht View Post
    That sounds cool. Can you attach a photo for us?

I was a little off on my description as I was doing it from memory.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast