Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are all sport mirrors the same?

I have a 1970 Skylark. I am looking for a set of sport mirrors for it. My Brother has a 1971 and the mirrors are " off Kilter "
    for it, They lean inwards. What kind of car will work? Are they specific?

Thanks,

Paul Strassner

Brad Conley Guest

Duane at Classic Car Interiors sells the correct base gaskets. Most of the mirrors are the same, it's the base gasket that changes. Here's his website: http://www.classiccarinteriors.com/

Are camaro sport mirrors the same?
    Tim Goheen
    73 GS stage1 first car(ex)
    72 Riv(ex)

67 Riv 455 13.25@101.75 m.p.h.(ex)

"Are camaro sport mirrors the same?"

NO

Duane

The Hollander Interchange manual says 70-81 Camaro sport mirrors interchange with 70-72 Skylarks.
    Carl in Minnesnowta
    72 Riviera
    72 Centurion coupe - 51 K miles
    72 Satellite Sebring Plus

Tim,
    I get calls all the time about guys trying to put Camaro/Firebird mirrors on 70-72 buicks. They give me the measurements of the mirror bases and they do not match up with the sizes of my repro or Original buick gaskets. The bases are often taller and wider, and some have wording written on the passenger side mirror glass.

Now, I am not saying that they won't work, but the guys always complain that once mounted, the top of the mirrors are angled, instead of level, like the original 70-72's are.

Now you guys can do what you want. I am just telling you what I come up against every time I get someone that wants to use sport mirrors from a car other then a 70-72 buick or olds. I also will not guarantee my gaskets for anything other then the correct mirrors.
    Duane

cjp69 is offline Platinum Level Contributor

Duane,

I see you say that people have problems with anything other than Buick or Olds mirrors. Does that mean that 70 -72 Pontiac mirrors won't work either?

I had seen some for sale and I was wondering.....

If not, what your Olds mirror will work, just the 70 -72's?

Thanks, Chris
    Chris

70 Stage 1 4 speed for sale or trade

Chris,
    I know that 70-72 skylark/GS and 71-72 Cutlass/442 mirrors are the same, only the gaskets are different.

I am not sure about the 71-72 Pontiac mirrors, I don't know much about pontiacs. If someone was sure their mirrors came from one, and sent me the mirrors, I could verify they are the same.

I do know that 72 (only) Chevelles came with a driver-side only sport mirror and the base is different due to the angle.

It's sad to see guys buying incorrect mirrors, having problems "after" holes are drilled in the doors, tossing them, and then buying the correct mirrors. I see this all the time and it is costing them a lot of money.

It's also sad that I keep answering these same questions. I really wish there was a place to put info like this so everyone could reference it.
    I was recently asked about bucket seat interchanges. The last buildsheet had an article I wrote that explained /listed all this, yet I still get asked the same questions. I wish we had a reference area somewhere.
    Duane

Brad Conley Guest

Duane, The FAQ section of the board was set up for just that purpose, to allow postings of common questions and their answers. In the future, if you wish, I can move those type of questions to the FAQ section and, I think, make it a "sticky" post. If I can't, I know Jim or Mike can make a post a sticky.

Let me know what you think. Oh, and this can apply to any post in any section, not just the bench.

Your pal,

Brad

I am going to post a cocked mirror pic later to illustrate.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

Brad,
    You would get my undying gratitude if you could do that. Then if anyone asks, we can ship them over there.

Jim,
    That would really help, thanks.
    Duane

Brad Conley Guest

Moved to FAQ...

Unfortunately I forgot the X went to the body shop and the pic will be delayed.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

The 70-81 F-body mirrors will work but you need to rotate the base gaskets 180 degrees and the mirror heads will sit level to the ground. The mirrors are date coded such as 4-DMI-1, which means April 1971. Also, 1975-up, pass. side has "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR" etched on the mirror surface. From my experience yarding, you can use 70-2 Skylark, Chevelle, LeMans, Monte Carlo and 69-72 Grand Prix, 71-2 Cutlass mirrors. Amazing what can work once you learn to use a file.
    George Nenadovich
    Buick Performance Club Founder
    www.BuickPerformanceClub.com

Default Updating sport mirrors

70-72 Pontiac GTO and LeMans sport mirrors are the same as Camaro and Trans Am mirrors,still not correct for 70-72 Skylarks.Rotating the gaskets 180 degrees wont help either.Even Duanes gaskets will not bring the mirror far enough out.Duanne is right the angle is different,I learned the hard way.I have tried all the above and they all lean in towards the window.Duanes gaskets will work for the correct mirrors and I hope for the 71-72 Cutlass-442 mirrors.These will be my 3rd set of mirrors and I'm still not sure if the ones I'm getting are correct.Yes if you take a file to the f-body mirrors you can make them work.I might have to go that route if these are not correct.You could also take Duanes gasket and cut the f-body gasket in half long ways and get the correct angle,but I don't recommend that.It's too much gasket and looks funky.
    Tom
    1971 GS 455

Tom,
    Thanks for the pontiac info.
    Duane
    Duane Heckman, Owner of Classic Car Interiors

I used a pair of sport mirrors off a '76 Nova and they look fine.

Just to bring everyone up to speed,
    I am currently writing an article for the BPG Newsletter "The Buildsheet" that will give everyone ALL the information needed to ID the correct mirrors for 70-72 Buick and 71-72 Olds A-bodies. It will list the housing casting #'s and where to find them, plus will include photographs of the numbers. It will also decode the date codes for both the parts and the mirrors, so you will know when they were made.

If you use this info to purchase sport mirrors there will be nothing left to chance. To get it, all you need to do is be a member.
    Duane
    Duane Heckman, Owner of Classic Car Interiors

Default Re: Are all sport mirrors the same?

hey duane would g-body sport mirrors work
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

Buick 350 Inspirational members to me..
    TuBBeD for his 551+ N/A build
    BillMah52 First to take a 350 where no man has gone before
    Justa350 First to hang a pair of turbos and cause Kaos
    GSJohnny First to max out the bore at .090 and his .075 and have engines that actually breath well N/A!
    Bobb Makley First well known to Stroke a 350
    Ken Betts, Hopefully the guy to pull-off 350 AL heads :-D

G-body mirrors from 78-87 will NOT work.
    George Nenadovich

I have a question. I have a set of correct GS mirrors, I'm lacking the mounting bracket and gaskets. I do plan on getting the gaskets from duane, but what about the brackets? could I grab a set off a trans am or camaro?
    Joe
    71 Skylark Custom- 465 Stage 2. auto gear M22W... Track bound hoping for 11.20s

71 Skylark "Buzzin' 1/2 Dozen"
    250-6, TH350, 3.42s RIP

74 Apollo, 70 350-4, 2004r, 3.73s. Buckets/console. Soon to be 430 powered, hoping for 12.50s (hers)

66 Olds Jetstar88. The 2-2-1. Two Barrel, Two Speed, single exhaust.. Driver

05 2500hd Duramax- Short cab, long box- awesome!

I believe the F-bodies share the same brkts.
    George Nenadovich

The newer passenger side mirrors also have convex glass and the "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" note. Does someone know when these convex mirrors were used first?

Also, can someone tell me which sport mirrors will fit on Buick B-C-E bodies from 1971 to 1976? I know they were first available in 1974 on the large cars (1976 only on the Electra) but do they interchange with the mirrors from other models?

bought 2 sets of ebay, thought the first set was wrong cuz they leaned in. second set did the same. did some ressearch went to a couple big shows looked at some original gsx's and realised that the gasket was the problem. its more of a wedge. never would have thought they would put the big wedge in there. couldnt find the gaskets in year one or any other place i looked. went to a local junk yard. lookin for something else and found two more sets of mirrors and the right gaskets. now i have three sets of extra mirrors anyone lookin? nice to find a place that repops them now.
    steve
    70 gs 455 # matching
    68 chevelle SS396 4 speed
    65 impala SS 327 #matching
    74 corvette
    next is a 69 gto

trying to put a pic or two of my mirrors on this post hope it works. the thick side of the gasket measures 5/16 roughly. and these are original gm gaskets. i have measured these on several $100,000.00+ cars at barrett jackson in the past 3 years. thats my findings anyway. maybe this will help some one
    steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    steve
    70 gs 455 # matching
    68 chevelle SS396 4 speed
    65 impala SS 327 #matching
    74 corvette
    next is a 69 gto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast