Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Should I verify my PayPal account?

I don't know.

I'm coming up to my spending limit on my PayPal account. And if I don't provide them with my bank account info I'll be locked out of using PayPal.

I think that sucks!

If I've used their service for 2 1/2 years, why would a spending limit make any difference?

What will they do with my bank account info?

I'm not happy with the whole thing, but I really enjoy using their service.

Is anyone here verified with PayPal?
    Yardley
    2008 BPG Nationals BCO Race Champion
    2005 Muscle Car Eliminator Champion!
    Visit my webpage. I worked hard on it.
    http://www.1badriv.com
    BPG #1033 GSCA #81 ROA #7453
    NE GS/GN Club Member
    1969 Riviera GS Stage1 Clone 12.92@106MPH!!!!

Been verified for a long time - no problem.
    Kind of nice if you want to withdraw funds and have them
    transfered to your bank account - no charge for this.

Same here, it is really handy if you want to buy something and don't have enough in your account it will draw the remainder from your checking account. I also have a PayPal debit card that is really handy.

I wouldn't worry about it
    Todd Borland BPG#1188
    GSCA#1203
    68 GS Conv 462 STAGE 1 auto 12.03 @ 110 MPH 1.65 60'

69 GS 464 STAGE 2 auto 10.74 @ 125 MPH 1.52 60' through the muffs

sixtynine462 Guest

I've had mine verified also. It's convenient, and I haven't had any problems yet. Make sure you don't lose your password. When I first had my account set up I forgot my password. I also moved and changed ISP's. That made it almost impossible to close the account. I can't remember how I finally managed to do it, but it wasn't easy.

Do it. I had too because several sellers on Ebay would not accept my payment if I used a credit card because of the fact I was not verified. I only accept verified credit card payments on my items for sale now also. Withdrawing money into the bank account is much easier than a check being mailed and having to pay for it also.
    1971 GS455
    1971 Riviera GS
    John Ayers

I have been verified a long time also. Just beware of those fake emails that say they are from ebay or paypal even if they have the logo's. If they ask you to verify your account or update any onfo like account numbers or passwords don't respond. That could be very costly. Forward the emails to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com and they will let you know immediately if it is a genuine request or not.
    John Zeleznik
    New Jersey

1957 Special Conv. 425 dual quad
    1935 Plymouth PJ Coupe
    1972 Skylark 350 Conv.
    1971 Skylark 24,000 original miles
    1957 Roadmaster 4dr.HT soon to be sold or parted out

I'm verified and also have the paypal debit/Mastercard. It comes in handy if you sell on ebay. What I do is pay my ebay fees with my paypal account then I go to the post office and ship everything out with my Paypal card. That way NO money is coming out of my pocket directly. I've been a member on ebay since 99 and verified paypal member for the last 3.5 years. I haven't had any trouble with either account since joining (knocking loudly on wood).
    Renee Moore
    1979 Buick Camaro
    11.01 @ 115 .. so far !!

Different is Good

Yard....Im in the same boat. I just came up on my limit, no idea there WAS a limit ?? and now I cant use my Paypal account without verifying it.

take a really good look at www.paypalsucks.com

Seems like paypal is sidestepping ALOT of legalities and only looks out for themselves.

What I found most interesting is that if you do a deal with someone, and that someone then comes under their scrutiny and they lock their account - YOURS GETS LOCKED TOO ??? for an undefineable amount of time ??!!?? WTF ???

Reading that site has me SERIOUSLY on the fence.....up until no Paypal was a no-brainer.....but now ??
    Alan W

BPG # 1048 - Charter Member
    NE GS/GN Club - 17 Year Member
    68/69 Buick StepChild Nation - 29 Year Member

What is a Buick StepChild ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
    ... They have awkward proportions from certain angles, and they look dumpy compared to their GM brethren
    ....'68 SportWagon400 "Sportn'Wood"..............'69 GS400 Convert "BigRed"..........

69GS400s said:Yard....Im in the same boat. I just came up on my limit, no idea there WAS a limit ?? and now I cant use my Paypal account without verifying it.

take a really good look at www.paypalsucks.com

Seems like paypal is sidestepping ALOT of legalities and only looks out for themselves.

What I found most interesting is that if you do a deal with someone, and that someone then comes under their scrutiny and they lock their account - YOURS GETS LOCKED TOO ??? for an undefineable amount of time ??!!?? WTF ???

Reading that site has me SERIOUSLY on the fence.....up until no Paypal was a no-brainer.....but now ??
    I found that same web site a few weeks back and posted it here. It will scare you reading all the problems with PayPal. If there is a problem on the other end of the transaction, they can and will tie up your money (the seller). Pay them a little extra and get the money back guarantee too (which can also lead to a buyer screwing you in the end). A friend of mine took an un-verified credit card payment and 40 days later had the money removed from his paypal account due to the card being stolen. He lost $650!!! At best, it's risky, but the best option I have found online for auction payments. PayPal is owned by Ebay now, so it works on the same principle: Make money for them and screw you in the long run. I will say it again, though, I have had no trouble.
    1971 GS455
    1971 Riviera GS
    John Ayers

You don't need an account to use paypal anymore. You can pay for auction or what ever with out signing up. So close it if you wish. I live off paypal and find them wonderful.

Just be smart about it.

Funny how this subject never dies. Ever 2-3 weeks we have a paypal thread.

"yadda yadda

Paypal rocks.

but two rules.

Do not sign up with $10,000 limit credit cards or your main savings / checking accounts.

Use a whole different bank all together. You only need $20-50 to ope an account and get a debit/credit card that will let you get a paypal n ebay ID.

Never keep more than $50 on the account.

How can you lose??? You can't.

most of those people were targeted as they used accounts and card with mass amounts of money to steal. No one is gonna commit federal crimes for $50.

I love my paypal card and its %2 cash back. It makes everything on sale including gas. Which why I love my paypal card, no fee's or interest, cash back, I never have to go in to pay and as long as I have $1 on the card I ca fill up with $20. wait 5 days for it to go through then square up my balance then.

all free with cash back.
    "

And BTW I am a verified member. I actuality have a premier business account & card. Its real nice that I can pay for an auction right out of my bank account or when I get to much money in my paypal account I can transfer it into my bank for free.

If you use common sense paypal is safer than a credit card or writing on line checks. If you set it up right.

Seller Reputation: (49) Verified Buyers
    Account Status: Verified
    Account Type: U.S. Premier
    Account Creation Date: Sep. 2, 2001
    PayPal Member For: 2 years 10 months

pooods said:A friend of mine took an un-verified credit card payment and 40 days later had the money removed from his paypal account due to the card being stolen. He lost $650!!!
    I really don't see your point. He was paid with stolen money.

Do you think he should be able to keep it?

He must of sent someone the item for sale. You file a report with their local police that a person at that address used a stolen credit card and you want your items back.

Never take un-verified payments over $50.

I think your buddy learned a lesson but only saw dollar sign n went ahead with it. If you ever sell anything for that much money you should only take verified types of payment.

The best being USPS money orders.

You have to use common sense with any online business dealings.

Buick_350X said:Do not sign up with $10,000 limit credit cards or your main savings / checking accounts.

So, you're saying that my current credit card that I have had registered with PayPal for 2 1/2 years should NOT be the one I use with them because my credit limit is so high?

And also, I should verify with a new bank account with just $50 in it? Not my regular checking account?

Thanks
    Yardley
    NE GS/GN Club Member

Sounds like a Phishing scam, dont do it. Rather be safe than sorry.
    Rob

1971 Buick Electra 225 Custom Limited 4dr, 56,934 miles
    1995 Buick Park Avenue
    BPG #2020

Did it look something like this? Not subject wise but.

Paypal will never ask for personal or bank info over the internet because it is insecure. Instead they would call you, so i say call paypal and ask if they really need you info. Goodluck Jeff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob

1971 Buick Electra 225 Custom Limited 4dr, 56,934 miles
    1995 Buick Park Avenue
    BPG #2020

Yardley said:So, you're saying that my current credit card that I have had registered with PayPal for 2 1/2 years should NOT be the one I use with them because my credit limit is so high?

And also, I should verify with a new bank account with just $50 in it? Not my regular checking account?

Thanks
    Sorry if I sound harsh today but its frickin hot n humid. bear with me.

But yea, if you are worried about being ripped off don't use large limit credit cards or your main savings or checking account.

If you read around that paypal sucks site you will see people who got taken, had something to take.

Any bank will give you an account for $50 along with a credit/debit card. And both can be used to get into the paypal and ebay system.

If you don't have several thousands of dollars to steal.
    How can you get taken???

Long as you don't take un verified payments over $50 your safe again.

Ya just gotta be smart about it. [not saying your dumb]

Paypal does make you register a bank account to be verified and to be able to get all the extra goodies like a paypal card and that 2% cash back.

They now even give loans at a reasonable rate.

I use my paypal account more than cash or checks. Just be safe
    about it. If you don't have anything to steal you OK.

But if someone spoofed your account and you have a $10,000 limit credit card registered and another $20,000 in the bank. You could get taken for it all. It could happen.

use a debit card with $50 in the bank and you could only get robbed for $50.

People do get scammed and robbed on the internet every day.
    Ya just gotta take every step possible to not be a target.

Those who get taken for large sums of money, could of prevented it.

Yardley said:So, you're saying that my current credit card that I have had registered with PayPal for 2 1/2 years should NOT be the one I use with them because my credit limit is so high?

Thanks
    I'd say yea.

Another thing about the paypal "verification" emails, they use your full name in the "dear ####". In the past year that I've had mine, I've only EVER gotten reminders that my "account statement" was available if I logged into my account.

----------------
    Drive it like you rented it. Driving it like you stole it means driving 5 mph under the speed limit and using your turn signals.

"Those who are willing to trade civil liberties for temporary security, deserve neither". -Benjamin Franklin

Buick_350X said:I really don't see your point. He was paid with stolen money.

Do you think he should be able to keep it?

He must of sent someone the item for sale. You file a report with their local police that a person at that address used a stolen credit card and you want your items back.

Never take un-verified payments over $50.

I think your buddy learned a lesson but only saw dollar sign n went ahead with it. If you ever sell anything for that much money you should only take verified types of payment.

The best being USPS money orders.

You have to use common sense with any online business dealings.
    The point was: He was new to PayPal. A new account and he did not completely understand the Verified thing like many others don't including myself in the beginning (if not verified, I don't think paypal should allow a credit card transaction). So he lost his money. He was a new seller to Ebay also and that was a bundle of cash for this boy. Just trying to state that BS can happen with online transactions. There is no guarantees and it is a gamble. It was stolen money, so no I don't think he should have kept it.
    1971 GS455
    1971 Riviera GS
    John Ayers

I never was contacted by PayPal about this. I just paid someone and say the little notice about how close I am to my spending limit.

I don't think I can open a small bank account, it is hard enough keeping wifey happy with my car parts buying without explaining why I opened a separate bank account...

So, it is possible for someone to somehow use my paypal account's credit card to buy a ton of stuff?
    Yardley
    NE GS/GN Club Member

I think the spending limit might be to do with some new international money laundering laws that recently came in. I got that over here. Because I have had more than 4500 sterling go through I have to re-verify who I am yada yada. Now I go to the car auctions and you can't even pay cash for a car over a certain price incase its drug money, the law says you must write a check. Those (honest) guys who just like to deal cash so nobody's watching them are finding it harder and harder.
    '63 Chrysler 300 413
    '66 LeSabre 340-4
    '67 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 425-4
    '68 Plymouth Sport Fury
    '73 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 455-4
    '79 Ford Fairmont 200, stick.
    '81 Buick LeSabre 231 V6

I opened a second (free) checking account at my bank to use for PayPal. There's hardly ever more than $20 in it unless I know I'm going to be making a larger purchase. I haven't even ordered checks for that account.
    Dwayne Martin

1970 GS455
    1987 Grand National