Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tim

What is Varsol, and where do you get it?

Len
    Last edited by TimR; 10-04-2004 at 01:17 PM.
    Len Gallo
    2nd X Around
    1971 Stage 1 Convertible 4-Speed
    Black with Pearl White Interior (Restoration underway)
    Need $$$$$$$$$

Len,
    For really, really tough grease/oil problems, go to Home Depot and get a gallon of mineral spirits. I use that first and then let air dry. Next, I use Castrol Super Clean or Coastal Parts Cleaner or........... Basically they are all NaOH, Sodium Hydroxide (oven cleaner). I use this liquid in my parts washer and it works great!
    George Nenadovich
    Buick Performance Club Founder
    www.BuickPerformanceClub.com

Quote Originally Posted by 71Stage1Conv4sp
    Tim

What is Varsol, and where do you get it?

Len

Len, any good paint supply place or automotive place will carry it. Its a petroleum based solvent, and cuts grease etc really well but usually won't affect the paint markings.

I've attached apicture of a rear diff that was so slimy and greasy you could hardly move it (major pinion seal leak). Cut most of the crap off with a plastic scraper, then varsol and scothbrite pads to clean it down to this point. It started raining while I went to get the camera for he pictures. BTW, rear diff is 72 GS 455 3.08 posi.

Whatever you use, wear gloves, watch for signs of color, and don't be too aggressive when cleaning that area.

Also,FYI, I accidently hit "edit" instead of "quote" the first time I posted this, and since I am a moderator it put all this info into your original post. I removed that and am reposting this. That is why your post says "last edited by TimR" ....I apologize for that, need more sleep I guess!!!

later
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TimR; 04-29-2009 at 02:33 PM.
    BPG Member #1023 <<--guess this is done with??
    71 GS Stage 1 hardtop
    72 GS 350 ragtop
    http://www.fixjet.ca

Thanks for resurrecting this, guys. Duane, I was hoping to get a definitive answer on the yellow vs. white chalk marks. What's the official word?
    John
    ----------------------------------
    '72 Burnished Copper GS 455

John,
    As far as firewall markings I have only seen yellow on the 70-72 cars. Now, you need to remember that I usually see flint and framingham cars.
    Duane

Here is a good one for you guys, this is the frist time I have seen this.

Throttle cable from my 72 GS ragtop (flint)....nothing special but look again real close...hard to see on downsized picture but there is blue lettering on the side of it that says "Teleflex Inc, covered by US and foreign patent" and then there is goop that covers up the rest (if there is any more). Notice the tag on the cable.

Wierd car, sat for so long that things like this (and the date coded original mufflers) were still on the car, but the body was thrashed.....

later
    Tim
    71 GS Stage 1 hardtop
    72 GS 350 ragtop

Tim,
    All the throttle cables originally had tags like that.
    Duane

I realize that but this is the only one I have ever seen with the blue copyright lettering on it....

TELEFLEX INC. COVERED BY US AND FOREIGN PATENTS

Update: My 72 GS 455 cable also has it, but mostly worn off.

later
    Tim
    Last edited by TimR; 03-01-2009 at 02:11 AM.
    71 GS Stage 1 hardtop
    72 GS 350 ragtop

9. Default "m"

Quote Originally Posted by 71GSX455-4SPD
    So, to summarize, over the booster the options are:

P - Power Drum
    M - Manual Drum
    D - Disc Brakes
    Thanks.
    I bought a 25,320 mile '72 Skylark this weekend and it has manual drum brakes and just as you guys said...It has a big "M"

Also notice the car is such a cheapie/ low option car that it didn't even come with hidden windshield wipers.
    Gary Steele
    Owner of a bunch of junk.

www.gsrestorations.com <--- Disclaimer: This is neither an advertisement for my dad's place nor a solicitation for customers. Only visit this site if you want to see an outdated site that shows some of the muscle cars my dad has restored in the past.

Gary-

Thanks for posting the pic of the "M". Boy, that is very well preserved.

I noticed in the thread you started asking about the "U" code for the vinyl top that you posted a pic of your cowl tag. It looks to be half painted. Does it look to be original to you? Or does it look half scrapped off? Or just poorly masked?

We had a debate going on whether or not the Flint cars tags were painted or not.

I posted your pic here below. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks.
    Ken Lisk
    Happiness is a long smokey burnout.
    '71 Limemist GSX, Restored 2010 by Gran Sport Garage, aka Nick Serwo
    '72 Riviera, Crystal Blue
    '63 225 'Vert Bahama Blue
    BPG# 1409
    NE-GS/GN Member
    ROA Member# 12258
    GSCA Member# 1176
    AACA Member# 993257

Gary-

LOL, I just went looking for that cowl thread and see you already answered my question before I asked! Nice anticipation!
    Ken Lisk
    BPG# 1409
    NE-GS/GN Member
    ROA Member# 12258
    GSCA Member# 1176
    AACA Member# 993257

I don't think the cad plated parts are correct. From looking at the brakeboosters.com site, he is plating everything in zinc dichromate. which he claims to be the correct finish.
    Scott

ttt

1969 GS400 Convertible Auto STG1
    1969 GS400 Convertible 4spd My first car 1983
    1969 GS400 Convertible 4spd
    1970 GSX # 366 Auto STG 1
    1970 GSX # 308 Auto
    1970 GS 455 Convertible 4spd
    1970 GS 455 Convertible Auto
    1971 GS455 Convertible 4Spd
    1971 GS 455 Convertible 4spd STG1
    1971 GS 350 Convertible 4spd
    1972 GS 350 Convertible 4spd
    1972 GS 350 Convertible Auto
    1972 GS 455 Convertible Auto STG1

Quote Originally Posted by GStage1
    Len,
    For really, really tough grease/oil problems, go to Home Depot and get a gallon of mineral spirits. I use that first and then let air dry. Next, I use Castrol Super Clean or Coastal Parts Cleaner or........... Basically they are all NaOH, Sodium Hydroxide (oven cleaner). I use this liquid in my parts washer and it works great!

GUYS/GALS......I finally figured it out after many years.....George owns stock in Home depot...its up 36 cents while I am writing this down....

btw...this is a useful post....
    * 1972 350 GS....started frame off resto...08-2005
    2 late now-its finish or BUST..-69.4 % almost done -

Frank Rex

Just finishing my 72 stage 1 and in the book it calls out that the tie rod ends are black? Same for the tail pipes from the rear wheels back? Same for the steering box? Now I just hate to spray these black as it just looks right with the natural cast finish. Can someone tell me if this is how there original 72 cars came?

Mike

Mike-

I can tell you for sure my original steering box was not painted black. There's a thread over on the BPG board where smartin put up some pics of a '71 LeSabre with only 42kmi on it. Yeah, I know it's a LeSabre, but the tie rods and sway bar end links look like they *might* be painted black. I can tell you my original center link looks like it was painted black.

Tailpipes? That's a new one on me! Is this info coming out of the factory Assembly Manual?
    Ken Lisk
    BPG# 1409
    NE-GS/GN Member
    ROA Member# 12258
    GSCA Member# 1176
    AACA Member# 993257

Staight from the assembly manual! I brought it to the attention of Duane some time ago. I think his response was he would take it either way. When I get home, I can point you to the page.

Interesting....

I had asked a while back about what the rear diff should look like. Duane said that they sprayed the back side of the diff/axle tubes so it would look good on the dealer lot. Maybe the tailpipes were included in this??
    Ken Lisk
    BPG# 1409
    NE-GS/GN Member
    ROA Member# 12258
    GSCA Member# 1176
    AACA Member# 993257

The '66 Assembly manual states the tailpipes were to be painted black from the rear axle back. The rear axle and front end components were also 'supposed' to be painted black.
    I couldn't find a trace of black paint on my rear, steering box, or front end components, so I'm refinishing them as it found them....bare naked.
    Walt K
    (1)'66 GS Astro Blue, 13.41 et (2)'66 GS Saddle Mist, L76 Q-jet option, 1 of 132 (3)'66 GS Flame Red, Calif car (4)'66 GS Silver Mist, 4 speed (5)'66 Special, Flame Red, 300 (6)'79 Turbo Regal, 14.1 et (7)'65 GS 4 speed 'vert

Default Where's the Pink Dot?

Ken, could you please repost the picture of the spindle with the forest geen paint and put a circle or arrow on the Pink dot? I can't see it in your original picture. If you look at mine, all I have is green and yellow; but then again I might have taken it off when I was wire wheeling it... or that orange/peach color is really pink?! Any ideas?
    Leo Rodriguez
    70 GS Stage 1 Convertible
    70 GSX Stage 2 Clone

The most dangerous words in my household are, "Mommy, daddy's on the internet ordering Buick parts again!"

This is a very informative thread. It might be a good candidate for a Sticky also.
    1971 GS455
    1971 Riviera GS
    John Ayers

I stated earlier that a friend is taking apart a Flint built 71 GS 350. It was power brake car no disc and has no crayon mark. It does have paint and top code and it is clearly in white crayon under voltage reg.. Also if anyone has the Motorcade magazine from MArch 1970 the Engine photo of the GS test car clearly shows an M C( 4speed car) behind the Master Cylinder. It is black and white so no color but I am sure it was yellow as all I have seen for brake info were. I can't post this photo as I do not have scanner. Maybe someone else does it is page #59.
    Dave, Seeing Yellow
    71 GS Stage-1 Now Sold.

Now have real 70 GSX 4 Speed QQ

My passenger side spindle also had a pink dot!
    Dave, Seeing Yellow
    71 GS Stage-1 Now Sold.

This is a great list Ken, however there is on small item that I found to be different having just rebuilt my front end on my 71 Stage-1. My original upper control arm shaft large washers were a gray phosphhate like hood hindges. The replacements from Moog were silver zinc. I painted the replacements with cast iron paint and it was close to original. The original nuts were silver zinc. Were yours replaced? They may have used different colors on different days.
    Dave, Seeing Yellow
    71 GS Stage-1 Now Sold.

Leo-

I'll have to dig up that picture, but basically the pink dot was around the center of the green paint. In other words, right on top of the green. Again, I'll find that pic and see if I can do something with it so it shows better.

Dave-

I'll dig out those washers and have another look. For all I know, they may be gray phosphate but I assumed they were a tarnished silver zinc. The beauty of this thread is that if people like you contribute we can continue to refine the list!

Thanks guys!
    Ken Lisk
    BPG# 1409
    NE-GS/GN Member
    ROA Member# 12258
    GSCA Member# 1176
    AACA Member# 993257

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast