Welcome to V8Buick.com.

View Poll Results: What parts would you buy in the next 12 months?

Voters
593. You may not vote on this poll
  • Outer Wheelhouse, LH, HT $129.00

96 16.19%
  • Outer Wheelhouse, RH, HT $129.00

102 17.20%
  • Outer Wheelhouse, LH, Convert $199.00

68 11.47%
  • Outer Wheelhouse, RH, Convert $199.00

64 10.79%
  • Factory Style Quarter Panel HT- LH $600

125 21.08%
  • Factory Style Quarter Panel HT- RH $600

129 21.75%
  • Factory Style Quarter Panel Convert LH $800

78 13.15%
  • Factory Style Quarter Panel Convert RH $800

77 12.98%
  • Core Support- All - $259.00

236 39.80%
  • Deck Filler panel- HT- $159

86 14.50%
  • Deck Filler Panel- Convert- $199

20 3.37%
  • Front Fender- All- LH $359

196 33.05%
  • Front Fender- All RH $359

212 35.75%
  • Wheel opening molding (all 4) HT/Convert $259

128 21.59%
  • Inner front fender LH all - $279

82 13.83%
  • Inner front fender RH all - $279

174 29.34%
  • Door skin LH - $199

94 15.85%
  • Door skin RH- 199

89 15.01%
  • Drip Rail moulding set- HT- $199

54 9.11%
  • Rear Bumper- 70 $299

120 20.24%
  • Rear Bumper 71/2 $299

70 11.80%
  • Rear Bumper 71-2 with N25 option $359

104 17.54%
  • Front Bumper- 70 $299

113 19.06%
  • Front Bumper- 71 $299

65 10.96%
  • Front Bumper- 72 (less rubber kit) $299

54 9.11%
  • Trunk Drops

50 8.43%
  • future

18 3.04%
  • future

3 0.51%
  • future

3 0.51%
  • future

7 1.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MGSCP
    ah.....no........... maybe............. my 72 doesn't need those parts but my 69 does

and Jim says don't just vote to ''fatten up the pole"

my needs for my 69 are:
    rear full quarters
    outer wheel housings and
    trunk drop offs
    right side front wheel housing
    I am confused Mark. Surely you realise that although other years of Buick Skylarks and GS models are just as good, the 70-72 is most popular.

If Goodmark cannot see a market for the most popular body style, why would they make parts for the less popular bodystyles?

The chances to get parts for other years made increases a lot if they see that there is a market for the most popular models. Getting a concentrated request for specific parts is best because it makes the question Goodmark needs to answer "How could we have overlooked this?" Rather than "How do they expect us to make such a huge range of parts for so many diverse years?"

Without a concentrated focus on a specific body style, the situation stays the same as the Skylark vs Chevelle problem to begin with: not enough people will want the parts for them to make it worth their while.

I'm sorry, but the 70-72 is the most popular style. Personally I like the 67 and 70 models best, but diluting our efforts to get Goodmark to see that there is a market they can cater to is a mistake, that's why the effort was to key on the 70-72 models.

I want to get parts for your car too, but surely you can see the wisdom in this approach: we aren't just a bunch of guys wanting various parts, sudden;y we're a bunch of guys with a specific goal for certain parts. that opens the way for more diverse parts selection. having a bunch of different body styles on this list doesn't have the same effect, unfortunately.

This has nothing to do with the fact I own a '70, it's just the way it is. For Goodmark, they look at the bottom line. Try to see it from their point of view: they are more likely to get the ball rolling if they see it's easy to do it. One body style is the easiest way to get things started, and the most popular is the obvious choice
    Chris Blair
    1970 Skylark Custom/GS455 clone convertible
    1997 Riviera SC

Mark passed away on February 14, 2017. Please remember him as a car and gun nut with a heart of gold.

69 GS 400 stage1,4 speed,3.64 posi
    72 Skylark w/70 455 stg.1,BB trans,3.64 posi
    72 Riviera w/factory sunroof, 3.42 posi
    68 Olds Ramrod 350 4 speed, 3.91 antispin
    73 Cutlass S W-31 350,TH 400, 3.73 antispin

Default Geez

I have to start looking in other forums more often. I just now spotted this one.

I put myself down for conv 1/4's & outers. I would have had much more, but have aleady collected nos parts to complete my car.

I forget to look in the repro section, because nothing much really changes. As soon as a repro I need is offered, I buy it. (got a tank & throttle cable on the shelf now).
    "Usually you can find me on the BPG site "
    BPG 1328

JW, did you win the MN lotto?

I don't know who you are talking to at Goodmark, but all I got 10 years ago was the run around.

Dennis Wheeler and myself were looking into making new core supports since we knew this was a badly needed item. Dennis somehow found out the original dies were sitting somewhere in OH. After further investigation, he determined they were left outside and had severe rust and were not going to be put into production.

We also discussed the 70-2 GS hood. I "figured" the 70-2 Chevelle cowl induction hood was not that much different/difficult than a GS hood and would be a simple item to reproduce. Uh huh, yea right! If you are going to deal w/Goodmark, you better bring $100,000 cash/check before they will listen to you.

A friend of mine used to own Specialty Olds here in Tampa, FL. He can tell you some stories (he told me several interesting ones) about getting parts made as repro's. I think you would have
    a better chance dealing with Tabco or some other "smaller" manufacturer.

The way Goodmark sees/calculates it, you buy/make/own the dies, they will stamp. If they have to buy/make/own the dies, you will have to "guarantee" a minimum production run. Let's see who puts the money where their mouth is??????

This is not to deter anyone from seeking/trying for repro metal stampings. Just want to make sure that whoever thinks about this/these project(s) better realize that projected sales and actual sales are two different things and the actual sales can be much lower than expected.

Would love to hear from JW and what Goodmark tells him.
    George Nenadovich
    Buick Performance Club Founder
    www.BuickPerformanceClub.com

George..

Not talking to anyone at this point. This is merely a survey, to gauge demand.

But if I do pick up the phone, I need hard data to discuss.

And no saying it's going to be Goodmark.. they would have to make a better product for us than their past GS offerings, to get me interested. May very well be Tabco.. or someone else that you would not associate body parts with.. had an interesting discussion last night on the subject.

If I am going to invest any time in such a project, you can bet the part is going to be just like the factory sheetmetal.

If I won a big lottery, I would just buy out one of those companies, and we would have everything... because then money would not be such an issue.

Too bad I don't play the lottery..
    Owner/operator

Tri-Shield Performance
    Jim Weise
    Founder/Owner
    V-8 Buick.com
    320-629-8999

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Abraham Lincoln
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Quote Originally Posted by MGSCP

Mark, I don't know what your problem is, but that kind of attitude helps nobody. I'm not being mean or even confrontational with you, and I don't deserve that type of response.
    Chris Blair
    1970 Skylark Custom/GS455 clone convertible
    1997 Riviera SC

To bad buick let the core support go to rust. Sometimes ahhhhhhhh! But I voted and voted for the wrong 71 rear bumper(n-25) is the one. I am starting on my 71 GS and I hope buy the time I get to the body some of these will be a reality. Thanks Jim for at least trying.
    Wish I had Back:
    70 STG 1 SCO WHITE LEATHER INT
    70 GS455 SCO Convert.
    Have:
    71GS455 Bittersweet Mist
    87 GN Least optioned

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary
    .....Supply creates demand. I understand that companies like Goodmark decide to make a product based upon numbers and not gut feeling.

I also think that at least some segment of the old car buyers look for cars they can get parts for. If you don't have a car yet and find out that you can get a Chevelle grill for $129, and may not be able to get a Buick grill for less than a grand, the Chevelle starts looking smart. Why do we have people putting Chevy motors in everything? When we buy a car, why do the smart people advise us to get the most rust free, complete car we can?

Our supply of parts is getting crushed. If we don't push for some of this stuff, and put our money where our mouth is, 10 years from now $1200 for a grill will look like a bargain.

Then again, if the parts are out there, owning a Buick will start to look more and more manageable for more potential buyers.

I agree with you 100%. After 9 years of trying to collect enough overpriced buick parts to do my '70, and 3 years of trying to find nonexistant at any price IH parts, I have pretty much decided that if/when I ever do another project it will have to be of generic descent so I can buy reasonably priced restoration parts that are available. I have always liked to be a little different when it comes to vehicle selection but alas I am tiring of the battle.
    "Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
    "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Rob
    1970 GS455 conv 1of44 w/Burgundy mist

Default A little snap shot update.

As of 12-21-04 at 3pm Eastern Standard time. People on this site have expressed interest in $189,702 worth of 70-72 Skylark Parts.

Check my math before you quote me on it....

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary
    As of 12-21-04 at 3pm Eastern Standard time. People on this site have expressed interest in $189,702 worth of 70-72 Skylark Parts.

Check my math before you quote me on it....

Problem is that it is spread out over 26 different parts. We are not doing very well on this. Top selling part is the core support and we only have 55 of them.
    "Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
    "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Rob
    1970 GS455 conv 1of44 w/Burgundy mist

Why just front and rear bumpers for 70-72? Finding a straight 68-69 rear bumper even suitable for rechroming is like finding teeth on a hen. They are all "v'd" in, in the middle, from being hit.

I know I know. "well Ken the 69's aren't that popular".

Hey, I have an idea. You wanna repro something REALLY cool? The 69 deck lid lip molding and egde pieces would be a great candidate. Do a vote button for one of those and I'd be interested to see how many people would take one. Between GS's and Skylark Customs in 69, there were a lot produced. But those pieces are famous for getting volcano sized pits.
    "Sometimes the place to be is right where you are"

Ken Mild
    Proud member of The Stepchild Nation
    69 GS400; 462ci; 430hp, 530lb.ft.
    12.90 @108.45mph - Open diff. / 3.08 / BFG T/A's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JjGIo3V40E

Default Parts

i'd take 3 sets of wheel opening molding right away..chris.

Road salt puts quarter panels through a living hell, I don't think I've owned a native (northwest PA) car yet that didn't have at least one rotten spot over the wheels. Tom

any updates or progress on a manufacturer yet? need a Deck Filler panel- HT- in next few months. havn't seen a "good" donor in a while.
    Rob Burk
    '70 GS Stage 1
    '94 Z-71 Shortbed

How rusty could it be? (Rear filler and Window channel replacement)
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=90010"

hogans"3" X-pipe thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=149788

Default poll results

Jim do you have any way to email me the results of this poll? Thanks Frank

Quote Originally Posted by evil16v
    any updates or progress on a manufacturer yet? need a Deck Filler panel- HT- in next few months. havn't seen a "good" donor in a while.

OOpps.. may have found one. Would have rather bought a new one for an other
    wise near rust less car.
    Rob Burk
    '70 GS Stage 1
    '94 Z-71 Shortbed

hogans"3" X-pipe thread

I've long since known that Mopar items are made of unobtainium but I was really hoping to have better luck with my recent foray into Buicks ('72 skylark custom convertible) - ah well, who needs 1/4s anyway - all they do is weigh the car down !
    scott

'72 Skylark Custom ragtop
    '72 Skylark (the band) greatest hits CD

Scott,
    You can very nice qtr skins from www.tabcobodyparts.com
    I have used them several times and they are great. All you need to do is order the ones for the coupe and make your splice/seam 2-3" below the upper peak line.
    George Nenadovich
    Buick Performance Club Founder
    www.BuickPerformanceClub.com

i just had to make 2 inner rear wheel wells out of 4 old ones ..I need the door skins right now,,,the right front fender inner and outer,,new convertible corner panels would have saved my body guy a lot of work ,,as he had to cut and fit 2 new hard top quarter panels into convertible ones,,but it did come out great with the year one panels after all the work ...,how's about new glass ???,not to mention in dash tachs ,,,24 hour clock ,,,,these guy's are missing the market that they could be cornering...doesn't shock me ,Thanks for the sound board.

Default sheetmetal

Hey Jim.
    I think if someone is going to reproduce anything,I would rather see a top notch part that is correct in every way and pay a little more money for it.It looks like these cars are finally getting attention from alot of other car collector/restorers.NOS parts are getting harder to find,so if there were some nice parts to buy,I think there may be more brand Xers interested in Buicks.As far as the 70-72 parts go,these are the most popular and are going to be the ones done first.Although I have more 70-72 cars,I still have a soft spot for my 65-67's.I doubt there will ever be much for repo parts for these cars,but who knows. Thanks,Scott

Any One Have Any Good Doors For A Convertible '71 Gs ??....door Skins ?? Anything ?? Help.....!

This is the first that I've seen this thread. I guess when it started I had no interest in 70-72 but now that I own one...
    I'll take a core support and right inner fender right now at the estimated price if they were available.
    Thanks for the opportunity to try and influence the manufacturers.
    Harvey

when you say factory style quarters, does that mean all the way up to the roof weld? even if it dosen't i still need 'em. just thought i'd ask.
    Clint
    70 buick skylark custom
    455/400 turbo

If your waiting for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a while to wait.

I CANNOT BELIEVE NO ONE IS JUMPING UP AND DOWN FOR THE DECK FILLER PANEL.
    Rob Burk
    '70 GS Stage 1
    '94 Z-71 Shortbed

hogans"3" X-pipe thread

HHEEEEEEEEEElllllllllllllllllllllllllOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOo!
    Rob Burk
    '70 GS Stage 1
    '94 Z-71 Shortbed

hogans"3" X-pipe thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast