Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe
    www.antiqueautomotiveservice.com

http://www.antiqueautomotiveservice.com/images/logo_top.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Smartin
    exactly...that's the dilemma (sp?)

It's going to take at least one volunteer (some think of that as a curse word) to tackle each model/section, and even break it down some more. Possibly by body styles - ie. 66-70 Riv, 71-73 Boattails, 71-76 Electra 225/Limited, or even a Limited registry.

These are a lot of work! Keep that in mind.
    I'd be happy to cover the 71-76 Electra 225/Limited. Adam, sorry about not updating my link. I host 72Electra.com at ipowerweb.com, which is about 8 bucks/mo for 2 gigs and a fair amount of bandwidth. You can create subdomains and authorize accounts to access only those subdomains if you wish (saw what was being discussed earlier). My site was an outgrowth of a _lot_ of downtime overseas, a situation which may or may not arise again.
    ------------
    1972 Limited

Paolo, by all means you're welcome to the 71-76 Electra

Ok, for all of you who are interested in taking on aa registry of your own, how much and what information are you planning to collect?

Off the top of my head, this is what I am collecting for each Centurion (providing the owner has the information)

- Personal Info (Name, address, phone, email)
    - VIN
    - Cowl Tag info (body number, trim package, paint codes, date codes)
    - Option codes (power windows, cruise, etc.)
    - Mileage
    - Date of record (time of registering)
    - Condition of Vehicle
    - Any special comments such as brief history on the car

The form I have created/altered from Marco's Stage1 registry was the most time consuming project of the whole deal to get it started. - here is the direct link to it.

http://www.buickcenturion.com/submit/submit.htm

As you can see, I have not added the mileage or date of record entry points yet, but they will be there shortly. There are always some things to tweak as something like this is introduced.

From time of inception, to its current state, my registry has taken probably 40 hours of my time....and that's just getting it started. I had 4 submissions come through last night, and each one takes considerable time to enter into the database, and then to creat a page that people can view via the website. Each page takes an average of 20 minutes to throw together....that's if I don't have to look up every option code in the book. The time is doubled or tripled if pictures and stories are included, because 90% of the time, I have to resize the pictures and load them. I'm more than happy to do it though! You really have to have a passion for this stuff to make it worth your while....otherwise, you're going to be kicking yourself.

This is why I ask whomever wants to start a registry "what information are you planning on collecting?"
    Last edited by Smartin; 01-21-2005 at 12:34 AM.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765

I'm pretty dern smart on the 1969/70 Wildcat & LeSabre. Can I be useful to anyone?
    Dan

1969 Wildcat Convertible (14.92 @ 91.54)

Hi, was just reading the thread and noticed you were discussing hosting issues. I serve as a webmaster for my companies sites as well as my own, and they and I both have hosting reseller accounts. They vary widely in price, features, support, but to give you an idea ours is their smallest reseller plan and comes with 5GB storage, 50GB transfer, and pretty much unlimited everything else like domains, email, mysql, etc. These accounts are $24.95/mo. with the vendor use. Don't know if that's something you'd be interested in, but just thought I would mention a reseller account in general since it seems like it might be able to handle the various domains, etc. for the models and categories.

David
    My Buicks
    1970 Electra 225 - Latest Project
    1970 Skylark Custom Convertible - Sold
    1987 Grand National - Dearly Departed
    1983 Regal T-Type - Totalled by an idiot
    1977 Regal Landau - Sold to buy the T-Type
    1999 Regal GS - Off Lease - Traded in for '02 Avalanche
    Other Rides
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Current
    2006 LT/Z66 Avalanche - Current
    2004 Z66 Avalanche - Traded in 7/4/06
    2002 Z66 Avalanche - Sold in late '03

If this is still 'on the front burner', I will volunteer to do whatever for '59s & 60s. Adam- what you're collecting for the Centurions looks excellent IMO.
    MARK ~ 59-4637

Thank you Mark....it's a TON of work, but I enjoy the outcome
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765

Default 1975 buick park avenue needs a home if not it goes to a derby

i found a guy that has a bunch of electras wagons carpices and impalas. he does derby's . but the good news is that he will sell the complete cars as is. the park avenue is very rare. i believ they only made 137 of them. its full loaded. it needs work, but is complete. he has a 74 electra 225, a 73 caprice 4 door, 76 pontiac wagon grand safari 76 caprice classic 4 door, 76 delta 88 4 door(this 1 is very decent)brown.the park ave vin is 4x39t5h409711., a 76 lesabre 4 door custom, a 73 olds cutlass custom cruser wagon,he also has a 62 buick electra 225 4door and some more. some are good for parts and a few would be worth fixing up.or if you need a part call me also.feel free to call me at 9197506443

Stage1 Jeff Guest

let's not for get us le sabre guys!!
    i'd love to register my 75

Have been running and building 67 225's since my dad bought our first one NEW ...I am oozing with knowledge on these HA..I also run a 72 gs riv, and a 68 lesabre sport coupe w/ 20 k orig...My 68 gs 400 doesn't count here...but the big block is just a small bore 430...can I help??
    A gs a deuce and a riv to boot

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Smartin
    I've got a registry on the backburner...just need to find some time to get it going.

Would you guys be itnerested in a complete full size registry? I was going to do a Centurion registry, but if there is enough interest, we could get something else going.

I'll need help though.

I know there is a boattail registry already..
    Hey Smartin is there a registry for 1976 Centurys/Regals ? or Pace Cars? I haven't seen any.
    Thanks
    1976 Free Spirit Pace Car
    The Iceman

I don't have any records of one....not sure if someone has a registry or not.

There is this, but that's as close as I can find to what you're looking for:

http://www.hotairbuick.com/
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765

Happy New Year's, all. Wife and I are getting ready to do a 9-month hitch in GA, have a few days' free time. I see the thread on registries is heating up again.

The aim, as I understand it, is to provide an:

1. Enduring
    2. Comprehensive
    3. Owner(user)-Edittable

database of specific eras and body styles of Buicks. When I had some free time a couple years ago, I spent a lot of time putting 72Electra.com together, a registry that I have to manually update. Since then, I haven't had nearly as much time to devote to the site, and it costs a good bit to host, so I've been looking into alternatives, that will

1. Be User-Edittable (less time for me to update)
    2. Cost Nothing (tuition is expensive)

What I'm thinking so far is to transition to site to either a blog format, or a wiki format. I should have something in the next week. There has to be some better and more consistent solution than individuals out there creating seperate registries for the vehicles of their choice.
    ------------
    1972 Limited

I just registered fullsizebuicks.com

I will take on the task of setting up the registry, but will look to any voulenteers. I am a web programmer, so It is not a difficult tast to set it up.

My choice of technology for this will be probably MySQL and PHP if anyone is interested.

Jeff.

Jeff
    68 Wildcat Conv
    69 Riv (Gone but not forgotten)

Thumbs up

Hi Jeff,

Will it be user-edittable, or a group effort, or will one guy (w/ broadband and alotta free time) be editting/updating it?

I'd of course like to help in any way I can. I'd be happy to transition all my content to your site, the 72electra domain is good through February, I'd like to have it elsewhere after that time.
    ------------
    1972 Limited

My intent (notice the word intent ) is to have the information entered by a user, with a password, store the data in a database. When someone clicks on a page (design still withstanding) to view for example 68 Wildcats , it would do a dynamic formatted dump of all the registered 68 Wildcats.

I will set up a page where if a user logs in, they will be able to edit their own information. The only thing I am looking at is limiting folks to one picture, and probably less than 1K. Space costs money.

I may even set up a mini blog as a phase II piece. I probably won't do sub-domains (it's that cost money thing again).

What I would appreciate is any design ideas you have (or anybody else!). I looked at the Centurion site, and it looks fairly complete for gathering information.

As far as moving the information over, send me a PM, and we can discuss.
    Jeff
    68 Wildcat Conv

Now I see why PaoloSica was trying to hunt down build sheets a year ago....

OK, I can design the database to handle different codes for different models/years. This will take some input effort, and I may set up a webpage for doing that, and then enlist some help. Of course, I will need to get my hands on as many build sheets (wholesale order forms) as possible. Please don't say Andy at Sloan....It is a cost money thing....15.00 a pop....

Let me know....
    Jeff
    68 Wildcat Conv

OK, no replies from my last post....I have almost finished putting the site together, I will be moving it out in about two weeks after I finish testing.....thats the programmer in me....

I have opted to shy away from the strict build sheet format that centurion used, because of the almost infinite number of iterations between models and years. But I will stick with the categories.....

Jeff.
    Jeff
    68 Wildcat Conv

I would like a registry to - It's kinda hard to find other people in my area with a buick similar to mine, 1970 Buick Electra 225 Limited

The one guy who is a part of the posts has a centurion site. He had stated he was going to stop doing it. I have a lot of the pieces ready to go, but was hoping for some additional input before I complete. I have been so busy at work, this has take a back burner for now. But I do want to complete it soon.
    Jeff
    68 Wildcat Conv

Jeff,

I can understand your situation and a number of us are 'tuned in' to your efforts. As another possible solution, I've thought about translating 72electra.com into a series of stickies on this website, hosting the photos free somewhere. Cheers,

Paolo
    ------------
    1972 Limited

I have never said I was going to stop operating the Centurion Registry...I've been so busy lately, that I haven't had a chance to do any updates.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765

Default Re: Full Size Buick Registry

What exactly is the point of a registry. I'm sure it's a dumb question, but I'd still like to know.

Default Re: Full Size Buick Registry

Quote Originally Posted by LeSabre300 View Post
    What exactly is the point of a registry. I'm sure it's a dumb question, but I'd still like to know.
    An what is the point of playing football if you are not a professional what is the point of making love if not to make a baby, what is the point of discussing why 73 centurions lost the chrome on the dash pannels....
    Jean-Luc
    Paris, France

Centurion 1971 convertible
    Jeep Willys 1942
    PT cruiser 2002
    2 Harley 1977 and 91
    1 Royal Enfield
    3 Honda 1978, 79, and 81
    2 Motobecane 1954 and 59

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast