Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Took my car out Sunday after the 4 speed conversion. All I can say is..... !

The M21 I have was converted to M22 specs. What a nice gear sound.

The car has a totally different personality now.

Very happy with the outcome.

Greg, nice work so far. You have hit a few extra hurdles than I had.

I have MT SS headers on my Suncoupe and we able to leave them in place for an entire conversion. I do have a hoist, all headers seem to fit a bit different as well.

The pilot hole issue has never come up for me as well, the 350 and four 455's I have done were all drilled for it. I have also not had a block yet without the Z-bar hole - just lucky I guess!

Keep the updates and pics coming!

Paul, do you have any pics or details on your finished car. Consolette, type of shifter used, what parts....
    Reg Thompson
    70 Stage 1 4-speed
    72 Stage 1 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGS
    Took my car out Sunday after the 4 speed conversion. All I can say is..... :.

Dan

1969 Wildcat Convertible (14.92 @ 91.54)

Greg, that shifter was a Competition Plus I bought new from Jegs I believe it was. I think I ordered it for a 67 chevelle with console, which gives the correct offset for the shifter and chrome stick. Worked beautifully for me!!! I upgraded the plastic bushings to the metal ones, so you will never have any problems with it.

Bob

Pilot bearing went in smooth, I had a piece of bar stock that fit in the end of the crank nicely and drove it straight.

Flywheel wasnt to bad to lift up, dont think you are going to slip it right on the flange. shoot for getting it to stick so you can hold it with one hand and reacj for a hammer with another.

Check out how the crank is drilled on the back to balance it, then coordinate it with the crankshaft weight, it only goes on one way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Davis

1965 Riviera Gran Sport Super Wildcat
    1968 GS350 with 462, AL Stg 1SE, M20-- 12.23@114.5
    1987 Regal Turbo T LC2 Y56 W02

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

"I'm out of the Midwest. It was a good place to come from. It give you a sense of right or wrong and fairness, which I think is lacking in our society." ---Steve McQueen

Default 4 speed linkage

Quote Originally Posted by SunBuick
    Then add Mike Garrisons reverse lockout kit.
    Can someone send me a link to Mike garrisons aftermarket 4 speed stuff please? Thankyou Randy.
    My Hero JOE DIRT!!!

Matched pressure plate, The wear pattern you see on the flywheel is from this disc and pressure plate. Mark them before you seperate the two.

Sparingly with the grease so as not to have it run on the driven surfaces when it heats up.
    Davis

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

"I'm out of the Midwest. It was a good place to come from. It give you a sense of right or wrong and fairness, which I think is lacking in our society." ---Steve McQueen

Most 75 & 76 455 blocks do not have the ball stud hole. To best of my knowledge 4 speeds were not available with the 455 in those years. I had to drill my 75 block when I put it in my conv.

Question reverse lock out?

I'm a new 4 speeder and my car does not have a reverse lockout setup. What exactly does it do? It there a big problem with 4 speeds going into reverse spontaneously? Under what conditions does this become something I should consider? Thanks.

Z-bar slides in with no problem and has decent movement. no conflicts with the header tubes.

What does have a conflict with the header tubes is my wrench and the engine ball stud.

Need more offset on the wrench.
    Davis

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

Greg, is there holes in the frame where you connected the z-bar adaptor bar to? Sorry don't know what that bar is called but it is the bar that is connected to the frame and the z-bar. Thankyou. Randy.
    My Hero JOE DIRT!!!

Greg

In your last post you show the z bar on the engine side ball stud, but without the seal that covers these to insure retention of the grease lubricant and exclusion of contaminants. I have a NOS seal and they are hard to find. Someone told me there is one used for Dodge trucks that will work, but I do not know the year or the model.

I assume you re-installed the nylon bushings in the z bar itself.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

Jim, great question.

I understand what you are asking about the dust seal on the 455 illustration. I have no idea where to obtain one, I have seen your post about the rareity of them. I wouldnt have a clue about how to find a Dodge or any other version. But thanks for the lead. As a side note the 455 illustration mislabled the stud and seal.

Look at the 350 illustration. A completly different seal, it doesnt seem to offer near as much protection. They use different studs but I have no idea why the method of the seal is different.

In the picture I posed the Z-bar to see how and if there were any conflicts. Actually the engine ballstud is still about 4 threads from being fully tightened.

I was trying to emulate the 350 version with what available seals I could get. (I think this is how I understood your second paragraph/question)

I have more of them and havent tried to install one of them in the Z-bar on the ball stud side.

Also the illustration shows 2 similar "seats" on the frame bracket side as well. Dave Kliener's repros already have the frame bracket side of the Z-bar pre-installed. I havent checked to see if there are present.

Thanks for looking and asking the question, that is why I am posting the pics, to keep me out of trouble.
    Davis

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

Sparkplug, Its the frame bracket, yes the holes are already in the frame, a self tapping course thread bolt goes right in, it takes 2 bolts and you can reach them via the wheelwell.

As Sunbuick told me, they go in like pie. He was so right.
    Davis

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

Hi,does anyone know what size and thread the 400-455 flywheel,pressure plate and bellhousing bolts are?

Thanks
    George

"If ur going to beat a Hemi you better have a Buick"

Default Flywheel bolts

George, since no one is answering your question, I will do it.

Flywheel - 6 bolts
    7/16 UNF fine thread x 3/4 " or 7/8" long full thread

Pressure Plate - 6 bolts
    3/8" UNC coarse thread by appprox 1" with a shoulder

Bellhousing - 6 bolts
    3/8" UNC coarse thread x 1 3/8" with a shoulder

All were just Grade 5 bolts from the factory. It has always been my pet peeve that a new clutch pressure plate does not come with new bolts...

I am guessing at the length of the pressure plate bolts but that is very close. Getting ones with a shoulder is a bit of a challenge, most are fully threaded in that length.

My recommendation is to get grade 8 bolts for each of these sizes and simply use them.

I have access to Grade 8 bolts in sizes that will work, I can setup a set of these and mail to you if required.

Just doin' my best to help out.
    Reg Thompson
    70 Stage 1 4-speed
    72 Stage 1 Conv

Reg,i`d really appreciate it if you would do that for me,i can send you up a money order as soon as you give me the green light?also what is everyone using for a throw out bearing?

Thanks

PS-still got that lower console peice and the disc set up for you,i didnt forget you,hopefully someone thats going to any event can bring it up for you.
    George

George, I scrounged up a decent bolt set for you.

I have dropped you an Email.

Reg
    Reg Thompson
    70 Stage 1 4-speed
    72 Stage 1 Conv

What throwout bearing are you guys using?

Thanks
    George

C`mon guys no one knows what throwout bearing you`re using?

Thanks
    George

I always try to go with the one recommended by the manufacturer of the clutch and P plate. So if you have say my favorite, a Centerforce set up, then you would use the specified Centerforce throw out bearing.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

I know this thread is old but kinda hoping someone still frequents it. Can someone direct me to where I can get that Floor bracket that the boot and such connects too. I am refering to the bracket that will cover the hole made so the shifter fits through the hole. (hoping you have pics of how big a hole you cut that maybe wasn't posted).

Exclamation

Center Force II pressure plate, disc, and throw out bearing.

GM flywheel

ARP bolts

PontiacPete - try this link. I have posted pictures in this thread of exactly what you are asking.

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=61644
    Reg Thompson
    70 Stage 1 4-speed
    72 Stage 1 Conv

Thank u much

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast