Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Here is where I got side tracked on the 4 speed swap. I knew it was going to happen, it was just to close to pulling the motor during the swap since quite a few items were already removed or loose.

It started out as a exercise to take a look inside, check bearing clearances, add notched pistons and a 107 cam and clean everything up again under the hood.

But quite a bit of #3 cam bearing shrapnel was found on the windage tray and in the sump of the oil pan.

Awaiting parts as we speak.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Davis

1965 Riviera Gran Sport Super Wildcat
    1968 GS350 with 462, AL Stg 1SE, M20-- 12.23@114.5
    1987 Regal Turbo T LC2 Y56 W02

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

"I'm out of the Midwest. It was a good place to come from. It give you a sense of right or wrong and fairness, which I think is lacking in our society." ---Steve McQueen

Greg: How big is the dimple your header???

Michael
    1969 Buick GS Stage 1, 72 455. B&B, P&P heads, KB Headers, Mk118 cam, Edelbrock b4b w/ Q-jet.
    Originally a 4-speed car, has th-400 now, but not for long.

DONT WORRY, LUNACY RUNS IN THE FAMILY.
    Michael B.

Man..... Kinda tragic to hear Greg!! Oh well i am sure you will have it back together.

While on the subject of your car I have a question. Did you run your car before the switch over to manual at a track and after? Were you able to gage if the manual swap improved or hurt your 1/4 mile times?

I know Automatics are usually more consistent but less fun IMO but in some cases it makes a big difference (well so I have been told) since you have a more versitle control on your launches.
    1969 Lemans
    428 4gear(conversion underway)

Woodie, the only dimple is where it passes near the steering shaft. Is this the one you are referring to? I will look them over in case I have forgotten any and take pics if you like.

Pete, No, I slid the tranny in and then right back out. Didnt want to have to do any more repeat disassembly than necessary, my mind was pretty made up to pull the motor. All the guys at work were like your crazy, etc...Looks like I get the last laugh. Well kinda

My combination was mismatched in the convertor selection. It flashed 4200RPM immediately and shifting at 5500-5700RPM it just zoomed me almost out of my 118 cam powerband and just a short band before shifting. This plus the undersized 750CFM Holley model 4150 dbl pumper my car wasnt at its full potential. So I have no doubt that the 4 speed would have been quicker than with my old converter.

I guess I will never know exactly how much though. But I do know it will be much quicker when I am done

Looks like the machinest and the parts availability will determine when this summer she will be back on the road. Do you like that postiitve thinking
    Davis

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

"I'm out of the Midwest. It was a good place to come from. It give you a sense of right or wrong and fairness, which I think is lacking in our society." ---Steve McQueen

The culprit, There was a lot more shrapnel on the bearings before I pulled the cam out. Every bearing is damaged, I only thought 3 and 4 were before. Here is a hunk of shrapnel just waitng to tear off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Davis

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

Greg,what clutch fork,throwout bearing and clutch adjustment rod are you using if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks
    George

"If ur going to beat a Hemi you better have a Buick"

Default 4 speed peddles

Hello are the peddles out of a 69 chevelle 396 car the same as the buick peddles? Can anyone help with this question?? Thanks Randy
    My Hero JOE DIRT!!!

staged67gspwr I am using the Dave Kleiner Repro'd fork and adjusting rod along with the T.O. bearing from the Centerforce Clutch kit.

sparkplug The chevy pedals are different, Chevy used a much different upper rod that turns into the pedal 180 degrees from the Buick method. There was some excellent threads with comparison pics on this, not sure if they survived the last site crash. The Buick and Olds pedals I have seen are the same.
    Davis

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

Thankyou for the info Greg.. Randy
    My Hero JOE DIRT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greg davis
    staged67gspwr I am using the Dave Kleiner Repro'd fork and adjusting rod along with the T.O. bearing from the Centerforce Clutch kit.

George

Guys one question i wanted to ask but i forgot was,when converting from an auto to a manual what happens to the neutral safety switch thats on the auto shifter?there is 4 wires i beleive 2 green and 2 pink,i beleive the green wires are the reverse lights,how do you hook them up with the manual back up light switch thats on the 4-speed shifter?what do you connect to where to get back up lights?

Thanks
    George

Exclamation

On a 70 to 72 car, the neutral safety switch is mounted to the bracket that the pedals mount to. The purple wires go to the switch with an extension harness, which is being reproduced.

The back up light switch mounts to the top of the steering column about 6" from the firewall. The green wires plug in the switch, which is activated by a linkage from the transmission to a frame bracket to the steering column.

Good news: the back up light switch is reproduced by M&H for $29

Bad news: the neutral safety switch is hard to find.

On the 66-69 cars, I don't know if they are the same as 70-72

I have to wire up the automatic neutral safety/backup light switch wires to this(pictured)manual shift backup light switch,know how to?

thanks
    Last edited by staged67gspwr; 08-23-2007 at 05:24 PM.
    George

Do you guys use any threadlocker(loctite)on any of the flywheel or pressure plate bolts?

Thanks
    George

Quote Originally Posted by staged67gspwr
    Do you guys use any threadlocker(loctite)on any of the flywheel or pressure plate bolts?

Thanks
    No, I did not. Just use the correct bolts with the lockwashers. and a torque wrench. Good luck.
    Andrew

Fighting to be a Cancer SURVIVOR!

1972 Skylark Custom
    350-4 Doug Nash 5 Speed
    285/40/ZR17 Tires Centerline Wheels, it Handles!
    Too Many Mods to list.

Thanks Andrew.

Did anyone have to relocate the crossmember forward more?

Thanks
    George

Quote Originally Posted by staged67gspwr
    Thanks Andrew.

Did anyone have to relocate the crossmember forward more?

Thanks

No, I don't remember having to do that. I believe that mine was more rearward anyway. Of course, I did the job back in 1992, so the memory isn't exactly "sharp"!
    Andrew

Fighting to be a Cancer SURVIVOR!

1972 Skylark Custom
    350-4 Doug Nash 5 Speed
    285/40/ZR17 Tires Centerline Wheels, it Handles!
    Too Many Mods to list.

A turbo 350 to Muncie swap did not require moving the crossmember.

I do not know about the turbo 400 location.
    Davis

BPG #1128, GSCA #2316,

Smile

I finished my 4 speed swap, and put 2,000 miles on it.....Come on Greg, bring it over the goal line..............

ttt
    My Hero JOE DIRT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGS
    If you call the Hurst repair folks, they will tell you who reproduces the slotted rubber bushings. They told me that someone in Ohio named George Cerio (sp??) was making them for Pontiacs.
    Here's the info for this guy if anyone needs it:

>Hi Terry, Just FYI. I specialize in old Hurst manual transmission shifters & >parts only, I don't have any dual gate parts here. I don't work on any dual >gate shifters.

> pserio@columbus.rr.com
    > > Pete Serio
    > > 2719 Columbus Ave.
    > > Columbus, OH 43209

> > 1-614-258-3500
    > > www.precisionpontiac.com

Default Hurst Shifter Handle

Quote Originally Posted by SunBuick
    Greg, we will get together at the Nats this year, It will Happen! There will definitely be lots to discuss and a few drinks too.

As for your question of crossmember location change, as I remember it the crossmember will not move at all, should be exactly the same holes (THM350 to muncie).

Here is a pic of the Buick shifter and linkage (70 -72 vintage).
    Where did you get the "bolt on" Hurst shift handle? I have a short one now and Dave told me he was reproducing this and I've nothing since, AL.
    AL
    1972 GS Stage1 4-Speed
    1968 Corvette 327 4 Speed
    1984 Century Wagon 3.8
    1993 Park Avenue Ultra
    2005 Buick Terraza CXL
    2003 Mini Cooper
    2000 Monte Carlo SS

Thumbs up

Keep up the good work
    MrBuickGS GSCA #53

Default Re: Operation 4 Speed Is Underway

I currently have a fresh 350 in my 71, had the motor balanced with the flexplate. I am planning a conversion. Is this true: I read that if you put the manual flywheel on, you will screw up the balance and kill the botton end with vibration?? Any truth, because if that's the case, it'll scare the hell out of me.??
    Jay

Default Re: Operation 4 Speed Is Underway

I can only speak for myself, but I just bolted the flywheel on. My 400 was balanced to the flexplate also, but I have not noticed any vibration. The flywheel itself should be balanced when you buy it. I got my from TA Performance.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast