Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: 9 3/8" rear differences

Lookin to beg, borrow, or rent two tools needed to help with the posi install on my 64 Wildcat. I need the carrier bearing support puller and the spreader tool (looks like a big c-clip) that allows you to preload the carrier bearings.
    1964 Wildcat Convertible, 401 Auto, numbers matching

Mark

To the 9 3/8 rear end experts. Bought this rebuilt posi unit off eBay over 8 years ago. Was told it was for 9 3/8 big car. The carrier says 700 on it. Long story short, found complete posi rear so do not need it. I know someone could use it. Checking item before putting on PARTS FOR SALE on board. Anyone ever see the 700 code?

Thanks..Will

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is that a Buick 9 3/8"? I might be wrong, but looking at the pics, I want to say there are too many ribs on both sides of carrier for either pre or post '71.
    Zach
    BPG #1217
    '73 Electra 225 Coupe, 455-4
    155,000+ miles and going
    Weekend Driver
    Posi still sitting in a box.
    '96 LeSabre 3800 Series II
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by 73Electra 225 View Post
    Is that a Buick 9 3/8"? I might be wrong, but looking at the pics, I want to say there are too many ribs on both sides of carrier for either pre or post '71.
    Here's some pics of my '67 for reference:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill
    1967 Riviera GS
    1966 C10
    1967 C20

Guys, can anyone identify this posi carrier? Excuse the poor photos: it's on a shelf overhead in a retired mechanic's garage, who brought it home from work in 1973 (if he is recalling correctly). This was installed in a full-size GM car that was new at the time: the lady owner wanted the limited slip removed and it was replaced with an open carrier. He brought the barely-used posi-guts home from work. Again, I'm unsure if this story is exactly correct or true. It is in a GM box with markings too faded out to read.

After hearing it was out of a full-size car, I was going to buy it for my 1971 Riviera with open rear axle and 2.93 gears, but have since found thanks to monzaz's wonderful and informative posts that not all full-size GM axles were the same during this time. I have read my axle is a Oldsmobile-designed 9 3/8" 12-bolt unit. The photos I've seen posted of what these carriers should look like (including in this very thread), look different from this posi that is available locally.

Can any one confirm what it is? I also own a '75 Pontiac Grand Ville Brougham 4-door hardtop with a 455, which I believe has the Pontiac 8.875 10 bolt cover, 12-bolt guts rear axle. Maybe it would work for that? If it's just an 8.5 Chevrolet carrier, I think I'll pass.

Thanks guys!

-Josh Noiles
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Untitled by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

'71 Riviera (Copper Mist)

If you can pull that outer race off the bearing and get a part number off it, you might be able to cross-reference it to the application. Especially if it's a Timken.
    Bill
    1967 Riviera GS
    1966 C10
    1967 C20

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456