Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In a boat, in the caribbean, drinking rum

Default 1000 Horsepower Buick 350!!!

William [Bill] Mahoney has done it!!!!!!!!!!!
    Check out the last page of the "time for a little tease" thread in the small block forum!!!!!!
    I used to be somebody. Now I'm just a burnt out middle aged guy chasing 20 year old girls on a beach in the caribbean... And loving it!

That was awesome information. A 350 SBB can do over 1000 hp. Now, if I only had thousands and thousands of $ to duplicate the little engine. Wouldn't it be great to whip up on some BBCs with a little door stop engine?
    1971 GS455
    1971 Riviera GS
    John Ayers

or BBB'S TOO....LOL
    Pat Harmon

1973 Century Gran Sport 4 speed
    1970 455 Skylark
    (3)1986 Century GS's

In a boat, in the caribbean, drinking rum

Quote Originally Posted by pooods
    Now, if I only had thousands and thousands of $ to duplicate the little engine.
    While it would be stupid to even pretend that Bill's engine does not have megga bucks worth of parts and engineering in it, you may want to read the entire thread a little more closely...

Stock 2 bolt block- no girdle or halo!
    Stock intake manifold- tho ported to the max!
    Stock iron heads- ported, of course!

The [only] really trick pieces in his engine are the crank, rods, and pistons,,, also custom head gaskets... And of course we cant forget about the supercharger

What's really important to remember here is that the little [and at 400 lbs, I do mean little!] buick 350 is up to the challange of making some serious #'s

I mean anyone can build a 1000 hp by opening up a summit catalog, and slapping a blower on top of a 426 hemi,,, but to get this kind of power from an engine that most people consider a "door stop" is a major step forward.

Look at it this way- When was the last time you saw a BB chevy, 440 magnum, 455 GS, or for that matter- an LT-1, or 351 C 4 barrel at your local junk yard????? Factory performance engines are becomming extremely rare, and the day is comming that if you want to build an "old school" RWD performance machine, you may have to look at an alternate power source.

The Buick 350 is cheap, pleantifull, and now, UP TO THE CHALLENGE!!!!

This is a great day in the buick performance world.
    I used to be somebody. Now I'm just a burnt out middle aged guy chasing 20 year old girls on a beach in the caribbean... And loving it!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Roederer

Yeah....people just about give or throw those motor away for a 455
    or worse a crappy chevy motor
    Mark

69 GS 400 stage1,4 speed,3.64 posi
    72 Skylark w/70 455 stg.1,BB trans,3.64 posi
    72 Riviera w/factory sunroof, 3.42 posi
    68 Olds Ramrod 350 4 speed, 3.91 antispin
    73 Cutlass S W-31 350,TH 400, 3.73 antispin

Default Me too

I was given a buick 350 with some 455 parts,and then gave away the 350 years later coz it was taking up space... fish
    72 GS 10 inch tire,stock suspension.
    Former NMCA NSCA EZ/S racer ,Car #5150.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Roederer

Yup...............what he said
    Dave Burns
    Midwest Buick Mafia
    67', twin-turbo, 350" GS

Guess the GS 350 cars may just be superior to their BB brothers now.... Wow, a 71 GSX 350 with a 1000 HP 350 motor .... endless possibilities now...
    Pat
    Pat Harmon

1973 Century Gran Sport 4 speed
    1970 455 Skylark
    (3)1986 Century GS's

I wonder since it was done to a 350 SBB, what the potential of all that work and money could to to a 455 BBB? I mean I think this very awesome that such serious power could be brought out of such an "under-estimated" motor, which makes it a day in history to remember, but im wonderin Very cool indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.BUICK
    I wonder since it was done to a 350 SBB, what the potential of all that work and money could to to a 455 BBB? I mean I think this very awesome that such serious power could be brought out of such an "under-estimated" motor, which makes it a day in history to remember, but im wonderin Very cool indeed.
    I would have to say ask Hendrickson about this one. To me, with the stock block, as used here, a 455" would make one of the biggest messes any of us have ever seen in regards to a engine explosion. The 455" is weak, we all know that. My opinion, NO WAY you boost one like this without a fill of hardblock, a couple girdles, etc. Wasted money I think. You have to have a aftermarket block for a set up like this in a 455". I have recently heard of some 455's wrecking blocks in the mid to high 700 hp range. And thats with all the goodies.

I just want 700-750 hp for my new car, that will live. I can use a $4000 aftermarket block, or a free 350"...... For the price of the block alone I can have a set of rods, aftermarket crank, and a few other pieces for a 350". I already have the turbo for our project.

Granted, when the new blocks start getting shipped, the numbers are gonna be huge. There are a couple really KOOL motors in some back rooms waiting for them. The info I have been told............WOW !!! But if your like me and just want 700 ish', not tough, and if our numbers all work out, NOT expensive either.
    Dave Burns
    Midwest Buick Mafia
    67', twin-turbo, 350" GS

I would be very excited to keep my current power plant and not need a 1000lb diet to be able to move off the line like a tiger.
    I would be dreaming but a 500hp kit that you didn't even need to pull the motor would be nice. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    "James"
    79 Lesabre [350]
    ------------------------
    Visit BuickThunder.com
    "Im a Chat Mod"
    ----------------------
    Buick Performance Club Member
    BuickPerformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by buickdav
    I would have to say ask Hendrickson about this one. To me, with the stock block, as used here, a 455" would make one of the biggest messes any of us have ever seen in regards to a engine explosion. The 455" is weak, we all know that. My opinion, NO WAY you boost one like this without a fill of hardblock, a couple girdles, etc. Wasted money I think. You have to have a aftermarket block for a set up like this in a 455". I have recently heard of some 455's wrecking blocks in the mid to high 700 hp range. And thats with all the goodies.

I just want 700-750 hp for my new car, that will live. I can use a $4000 aftermarket block, or a free 350"...... For the price of the block alone I can have a set of rods, aftermarket crank, and a few other pieces for a 350". I already have the turbo for our project.

Granted, when the new blocks start getting shipped, the numbers are gonna be huge. There are a couple really KOOL motors in some back rooms waiting for them. The info I have been told............WOW !!! But if your like me and just want 700 ish', not tough, and if our numbers all work out, NOT expensive either.

Cool, thanks for the information! I was kinda wondering why many haven't brought it up but now I know.

This needs to get into the car magazines!!

Lets keep the ball rolling with the SBB!

OK, I'm a little selfish. I want a single plane intake and roller valvetrain - 500 HP is enough for me!

Rock on SBB!
    Andrew

Fighting to be a Cancer SURVIVOR!

1972 Skylark Custom
    350-4 Doug Nash 5 Speed
    285/40/ZR17 Tires Centerline Wheels, it Handles!
    Too Many Mods to list.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.BUICK
    Cool, thanks for the information! I was kinda wondering why many haven't brought it up but now I know.

Hey man,

Don't just go on my very little info I spouted there. Just do some homework for yourself. The 455's have block problems, meaning they're weak. My personal thinking was that the 350", like the V6's, with the deeper skirts would have to be stronger. I feel that is being proven now with Bill's motor.

Don't get me wrong, this motor is FULL of some good parts, and expensive ones at that. But, I feel that substantial power level can be reached without going to the extremes that has been attacked with this one.

As more information comes to light, I am sure we'll all see the great effort put forth within this motor to make the power we have seen now, AND the dedication in regards to the parts, assembly, running, etc. I really think this is a fantastic tip of the icebergh for us. And I know, I am very enthusiastic about my 350" turbo project now.
    Dave Burns
    Midwest Buick Mafia
    67', twin-turbo, 350" GS

Dave, your killin' me man! When do we get to see some pix of this 67?!?!?!?
    PM me your address and I'll send you a digital camera to borrow!
    Seriously.
    Rick - BPG #1462
    1999 Trans Am, STS Turbo 5PSI 11.91 1.60 short time
    67 Skylark - Tubbed-n-caged - Sold - Probably in a scrap yard by now. :-(
    67 GS Convertible clone, 67 Skylark, 67 GS400, 67GS400 4spd, 70 GS455, 71 post, ... all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by buickdav
    Hey man,

Don't just go on my very little info I spouted there. Just do some homework for yourself. The 455's have block problems, meaning they're weak. My personal thinking was that the 350", like the V6's, with the deeper skirts would have to be stronger. I feel that is being proven now with Bill's motor.

Don't get me wrong, this motor is FULL of some good parts, and expensive ones at that. But, I feel that substantial power level can be reached without going to the extremes that has been attacked with this one.

As more information comes to light, I am sure we'll all see the great effort put forth within this motor to make the power we have seen now, AND the dedication in regards to the parts, assembly, running, etc. I really think this is a fantastic tip of the icebergh for us. And I know, I am very enthusiastic about my 350" turbo project now.
    All is true, I think the more people experiment with the SBB the more possibilities and potential opens up. And before the SBB boom opened up I have had plans for a SBB before this had all showed up. Now it is a defenite must for me. Though im far from being rich enough to get this power, or even just the 500 HP kit, it seems to be all in the figuring and tuning of the motor that makes it all possible. In the future, my project should have amazing numbers with a sbb 350! Ah, the sweet dreams

Rick,

You "gotta" know that the car is in pieces now, what with the change from BBB to SB ?? Well, to say the least, the front is completely off the car, AGAIN, lol. I have some firewall work to do, paint looks awful, etc. etc. The doors are back on finally so thats a plus, but, all the front steering is off, haha. I will try and get you some pix when its just a little more publically presentable. Just keep on badgering me, and I will stay motivated...............
    Dave Burns
    Midwest Buick Mafia
    67', twin-turbo, 350" GS

Dave, my tubbed 67 is the same way. Well, almost. I put my front clip back on (with about 4 bolts) when we moved a few months back.

Actually.... I would probably even prefer to see your car still tore apart. It's the "nuts-n-bolts" that I'm interested in seeing.... not the pretty paint job it'll get someday.
    But don't worry... I won't stop badgering you.

Sorry to steer this thread off subject....
    Regarding the 1000HP 350.... What kind of torque numbers did it produce? And at what RPM?
    Rick - BPG #1462
    1999 Trans Am, STS Turbo 5PSI 11.91 1.60 short time
    67 Skylark - Tubbed-n-caged - Sold - Probably in a scrap yard by now. :-(
    67 GS Convertible clone, 67 Skylark, 67 GS400, 67GS400 4spd, 70 GS455, 71 post, ... all gone.

A few months back I got to see Dave's 67 up close and it is going to be one serious vehicle when it is done.
    Mike Prybell
    SOLD

Bill - YOU are Da MAN !!!
    Alan W

BPG # 1048 - Charter Member
    NE GS/GN Club - 17 Year Member
    68/69 Buick StepChild Nation - 29 Year Member

What is a Buick StepChild ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
    ... They have awkward proportions from certain angles, and they look dumpy compared to their GM brethren
    ....'68 SportWagon400 "Sportn'Wood"..............'69 GS400 Convert "BigRed"..........

Congrats on the accomplishment. People getting excited about hitting just over 175hp per liter is silly!

Quote Originally Posted by ricknmel67
    Dave, my tubbed 67 is the same way. Well, almost. I put my front clip back on (with about 4 bolts) when we moved a few months back.

Actually.... I would probably even prefer to see your car still tore apart. It's the "nuts-n-bolts" that I'm interested in seeing.... not the pretty paint job it'll get someday.
    But don't worry... I won't stop badgering you.

Sorry to steer this thread off subject....
    Regarding the 1000HP 350.... What kind of torque numbers did it produce? And at what RPM?
    The final chapter has been written.
    We did it!!!
    After a long day with many trials and errors, on the seventh and final pull:
    1021 hp @ 6800
    and are you ready for this:
    808 ft. lbs. trq. @ 5750!!!

"Now there is much to tell but I am wiped out and need to get some sleep.
    Tomorrow the details. But one important note:
    It's Alive!!!" Quote from Bill M

Bill
    Do you want to really let it get its legs extended,we've got a pattern for a 350 girdle,a billet one is on Sonny's 350 ,prolly only one in existence.Maybe if a lot more folk are interested in this "huffer" build up a run of the girdles could be made to keep costs down.
    gary
    gary
    Iron Stage 2
    GSCA #51
    BPG #1135
    To grow old is mandatory,
    To grow up is optional.
    "CARPE DIEM"

69 GS400 4 speed documented Stage2,original owner,18k miles
    68 GS400 Stage2 race car "Great Scat" 9.94 best et
    69 GS400 4 speed convertible
    70 Q-Q GSX ( actually Sandy's) pure stock trim,12.78 best et
    70 Race car, "Thumper"resurrected 9.88 et so far.
    71 GS 455 10 second street car, triple black

Bill
    We may have a pic,it connects all 5 caps ,the caps were machined flat and .005" shims were then used to preload.
    gary
    gary
    Iron Stage 2
    GSCA #51
    BPG #1135
    To grow old is mandatory,
    To grow up is optional.
    "CARPE DIEM"

69 GS400 4 speed documented Stage2,original owner,18k miles
    68 GS400 Stage2 race car "Great Scat" 9.94 best et
    69 GS400 4 speed convertible
    70 Q-Q GSX ( actually Sandy's) pure stock trim,12.78 best et
    70 Race car, "Thumper"resurrected 9.88 et so far.
    71 GS 455 10 second street car, triple black

Glad I bought those 3 350's last year for $90.
    BPG #1252
    GSCA #3523
    '70 GS 350
    '71 Skylark 455 (future parts car)
    '86 T-Type (sold)
    '01 Regal GS (blew the tranny and traded it for an SUV)
    '99 Regal GS (its back again)

I'll be where I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast