Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default msd 7al-2 question

anyone know will a msd 7al2 work without a rpm chip?
    andy
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25 for sale

It'll work fine. The question is...why run without one? You wanna see how high you can rev your motor before it comes apart? I'll drop a chip in the mail to you if you want, just pick what rpm you want. I've got a bunch of extras and I'd hate to see you hurt something. I run through the lights at 7400 to 7700 so I use an 8000 chip. Thats enough cushion.
    Doug Hecker
    65 Gransport - 8.74@152.61

my car wont start but im getting spark. getting some pop thru carb and just had heads done.just switched chassis and car had 7al2 so i left used that instead of my 6a .im running msd helicore plug wires.these wrong for my ignition?also added a 1050 and sp1 intake.it feels like starting when starter first engages but just wont .power valve wrong for my engine? not sure where to start.
    i do need a part for a cheeta scs shifter that bolts to the trans selector bolt to shift gears .im using one from a b&m and its just not lining up the proper gear with shifter. when im in drive on shifter its first.
    thanks andy
    Andy bridgeview,il
    84 gn

Oh, I gotcha. I'm not much of a diagnostician, but it sounds to me like not enough timing. I had a problem like that with my MSD-7AL3 box. It retards the timing 25 degrees when the starter is engaged. If you run a locked out distributer at 32 degrees total, you've only got 7 degrees at startup. My motor was burping and popping when I tried to start it like that. It needs more timing than that to fire up. When I tried starting it with the retard function disconnected, it was too much timing trying to start it at 32 degrees, and it was cranking real slow. I even tried hitting the starter button without the ignition switch on, cranking it over and then flipping the ignition switch on quickly. Still no good. It stopped the motor dead in it's tracks. Finally called MSD and the tech said to set the timing at 43 degrees, and pop an 11 degree retard chip into the first degree chip position (there are four spots for degree chips on the 7AL3). He said this way you're subtracting 25 degrees from 43 degrees at startup, leaving it to start with 18 degrees, which is no problem. As soon as I let go of the starter button, it reverts back to 43 dgrees, minus the 11 degrees I'm removing via the 11 degree chip. So it idles and runs at 32 degrees. I swapped the chip out and replaced it with a 0-11 degree dial, this way I can change the timing with a quick twist on the dial, one click is 1 degree. Sound complicated? It's actually simple. Since you are running a 7AL2 and not the 7AL3, you don't have it so easy, unless there is a separate timing computer hooked into the 7AL2. You didn't mention it, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I run MSD Super Conducter wires, but the Heli-Core wires should be fine, as long as they are NON-resistor!
    Doug Hecker

Quote Originally Posted by stagetwo65
    It'll work fine. The question is...why run without one? You wanna see how high you can rev your motor before it comes apart? I'll drop a chip in the mail to you if you want, just pick what rpm you want. I've got a bunch of extras and I'd hate to see you hurt something. I run through the lights at 7400 to 7700 so I use an 8000 chip. Thats enough cushion.
    7700 rpm I thought I was being mean to my engine going 7000.
    Adam
    victoria B.C.
    69 GS 400 street strip
    Stage3 heads,Gforce 4 speed,12bolt
    9.91 @134 494 auto 3.73s
    10.16 @131.57 (9.1 464) 4speed 4.56

Big cam=big rpm. Plus, when you rev 'em that high with a four inch collector, it sounds REALLY COOL!!
    Doug Hecker

That is cool.How big is that cam Doug?I know it makes big power
    Adam
    victoria B.C.
    69 GS 400 street strip
    Stage3 heads,Gforce 4 speed,12bolt
    9.91 @134 494 auto 3.73s
    10.16 @131.57 (9.1 464) 4speed 4.56

It's in the "neighborhood" of .800 in. lift. That's all I'm permitted to say. The specs are proprietary info.
    Doug Hecker

Default msd

i found the coil was leaking oil .has small rust hole and flaking paint on bottom
    run for 20 seconds then popped thru carb . looked like idle bleed holes.
    i think i need to rebuild carb. gonna check compresion test just to make sure bottom end is good.
    my cam is kenne bell maxi street 4 565-600 doubt it will rev to 7000
    thanks andy
    Andy bridgeview,il
    84 gn

Default msd

found the problem msd box with rev control does need a rev chip or it wont start.i bought a dial rpm module and started right up. scared me a bit
    revved good .alittle stumble here and there but sounds good.
    i did a compression test and have one low cyl but is still strong sounding
    thanks andy
    Andy bridgeview,il
    84 gn