Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What a great thread - lots of info. Wish I'd found it sooner...
    /
    1970 LeSabre 455 Sport Coupe
    Sloan Documented

The Basics: 455 with John Osborne Q-Jet and Distributor, Stage-1 Cam, Crane XR-i Electonic Ignition, TH400 and a 12-Bolt Posi

****Non-A/C car, no power windows, locks or seats. Only options are power steering, power brakes and a map light. Truly, a special order car!****

Since March of 1982, "Don't laugh - you might be surprised!"

1970 Estate Wagon (Future Project)
    1999 Regal LS (Daily Driver)

Paul
    BCA Member

Default Re: Trailer maintanance thread

How about some tips on cleaning those nasty, "black streaks" off the sides of your enclosed trailers (i.e.; products, methods).

I use ZEP RV-BRITE RTU (ready to use) on all our trailers. It works but you need to be patient. Do't expect it to pressure wash off, you need a brush with soft bristles, hard might be better but I've never tried it. It takes alot of scrubbing and depending on the size of your trailer you sometimes need to empty the bucket and refill with fresh soap. Any bathroom cleaner with bleach in a spray bottle is good too, spray on and wipe off with a rag.
    Rob

1971 Buick Electra 225 Custom Limited 4dr, 56,934 miles
    1995 Buick Park Avenue
    BPG #2020

Default How 'bout the tires?

I had a trailer tire blowout (entire tread separated from the carcass) back in time going to the Nats in Columbus, OH. They were the Goodyear Marathon trailer radials, only about 2 years old and very little miles. I pulled into a nearby Goodyear dealer and he told me those tires had a recall from Goodyear and gave me a toll free number to call them. I did and he was right. They bought me 5 new Marathon tires and sent me a check to cover the cost of repairs to the trailer. How do you tell the old design from the new? The new ones have an "S" inside a circle on the sidewall near the word Marathon. I would hope than over the last few years all the old have been replaced for other reasons, but it wouldn't hurt to check if you have these tires.

Do you still have that toll free number?

I have the Marathons on my car trailer; I had one come apart but my Goodyear dealer didn't say anything about a recall.

Thanks -

K
    2008 NMCA Original Parts Group "Nostalgia Muscle Car" #3
    2007 NSCA Rocket Fuels "American Muscle" World Champion Runner Up
    2006 NSCA Jeg's "American Muscle" #10
    2005 NSCA Jeg's "American Muscle" #6
    2004 NSCA Ramchargers "American Muscle" #4
    2003 NMCA BF Goodrich "American Muscle" World Champion Runner Up
    2002 NMCA/NSCA Mickey Thompson "Street Eliminator" #3
    2001 NMCA Mickey Thompson "Street Eliminator" #6
    JAMA Racing Ministries Chaplain to the NSCA

Sorry, but it is long gone. You may want to try your local dealer, or look on Goodyear's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
    Do you still have that toll free number?

I have the Marathons on my car trailer; I had one come apart but my Goodyear dealer didn't say anything about a recall.

Thanks -

K

Those have a huge history of failure. and he is right.. god year will take care of you... he wasn't the first one to come across that.
    Rob Burk
    '70 GS Stage 1
    '94 Z-71 Shortbed

How rusty could it be? (Rear filler and Window channel replacement)
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=90010"

hogans"3" X-pipe thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=149788

Thumbs up Re: Trailer maintenance thread

Quote Originally Posted by rally bob View Post
    How about some tips on cleaning those nasty, "black streaks" off the sides of your enclosed trailers (i.e.; products, methods).

I have a local detailing supply

Brite & Rite
    Ocala , Florida.

352-401-3636
    352-572-7343 ~Mobile

ask for the "Dreaded Red"

This stuff kicks arse!

It is best if you have some one to work the hose to keep it wet,because it works best if you put it on dry{do it in the shade}

I use a 1 Gallon pump up sprayer
    mix it about 50~40 & use a soft long handles brush.
    spray it on & work it in & KEEP IT WET make sure you put it on in a uniform spray or it will not get all the gunk out of the finish.
    simply keep moving it around try real hard to not miss a spot for about 5 to 10 minuets & rinse it off
    Done!

it makes it SO easy
    it will dull your aluminum trim if you don't wax or protect it
    BUT

You can use flitz

to polish every thing if you like.

I have detailed stuff off & on for 25 years & this is 2 of my most powerful tools.

Now to all that have read this I must kill you

LOL

j/k

Lemme know how you made out OK?

SR66
    "SlowRide66"

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
    Don't let the bastards grind you down!

I'm not prejudice, I hate everyone equally.

The best proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is;that they haven't made contact

Thumbs up Great information...!

I know this is a waaay old thread but I just wanted to say I enjoyed it and learned alot from it.

Thanks again...
    1967 Buick Skylark GS400 fuel funny car "Ingenue"...World's only Buick-powered and ONLY flip-top fiberglass '67 Skylark body ever constructed...!
    www.buickfunnycar.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ingenuebuickfunnycar

Thanks John,

It's funny you gave this old thread a bump, because now it's six years later and time to replace all of my shackles, bolts, and bushings once again. They are just as worn out as they were back in '05, but now that I oil the shackles occasionally, they lasted 6 years instead of three this time.

Well at least I know what has to be done and where to get the parts. I no longer use the trailer in the winter so salt is no longer an issue.

Mike

Regarding Goodyear Marathons: I have had three sets with the middle set "Made In China". They had a large rub strip around the side wall. My latest set was purchased in 2010 and made here, and resembles my first set in appearance from many years ago. Carlyles absolutely suck.

The best cleaner that I have found for cleaning those nasty black streaks is believe it or not, "Awesome Cleaner" from the Dollar Tree store. The stuff is great and only costs a buck. Try it you'll like it.
    "72" Skylark Convertible
    "37" Buick Special Coupe

The best stuff I have found for cleaning black streaks off our trailers is a product called "Black Streak Remover" made by Bio-Kleen in Kalamazoo Mich. You can get it at RV Centers. It is a little pricey @ $15.00/Quart but works EXTREMELY well. You spray it on full strength and wipe it off. No rinsing required. They have a website - www.Biokleen.com.
    I have not used the stuff from the Dollar Store so I can't comment on it. I'll have to get some and try it.
    I have used Simple Green and if your trailer isn't too bad it works kinda. The BioKleen stuff is at least 3 times better.

Update, I bought some of the cleaner mentioned above (LA's Totally Awesome) from the Dollar Tree Store and tried it, it works essentially as good as the expensive stuff so because it is only $1/bottle and it works the same I would recommend it. Hat Tip to rodrun36!!
    Thanks,
    Mike D.
    Last edited by 73-462GS; 05-18-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12