Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Duane, kudos to you and shame on you at the same time!

As an amateur Buick historian, many thanks. I look forward to whatever you can post.

Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

Devon,
    I am sure there will be lots of info posted about this subject after Dennis Manner looks at the block and authenticates the heads, and possibly the intake.
    Duane
    Duane Heckman, Owner of Classic Car Interiors

Default Huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????

Well, I'll be damned

I have tried to picture what those heads looked like for YEARS (solely off the description given me so long ago) and thanks to Duane there they are!

Way to go Duane, I could not be happier with the home the "Stage 3" block has gotten.

Excellent work, man

I cannot wait to see, and participate with unraveling the mystery of Buicks "Back Room".

This is going to be like opening a time capsule as more info comes forward
    John Fritz

Gold Level Contributor .

TOO MUCH, IS JUST ENUFF!

Previous owner of the "Stage III" 1970 455 cid Experimental 4-Bolt Main "X Block"http://www.buickstreet.com/455buickstage3.html

1960 Electra 225 Convertible Autotronic eye,a/c,power leather buckets,storage console,Wonderbar, all original

1970 455 4 speed Poor Touring GSX RAT ROD!

Where did the 4 bolt main block end up?

Dan
    3.8 L per Flush

Quote Originally Posted by wagonboss
    Where did the 4 bolt main block end up?

Dan
    Well, right now it's about 30 feet from my chair.
    Brad Conley. 70 GSX Prototype, 71 Black GSX, 87 GNX Prototype, 75 Skyhawk, 2 86 GN's, 72 Centurion Convert and a host of other Buicks!

and about 4 feet away from my X-Camino.
    Duane
    Duane Heckman, Owner of Classic Car Interiors

Default 2x4 cast iron intake for a 455

I would also like to know what happen to the cast iron 2x4 intake,with 2 Q-Jets? The back one was Chevy,so the gasline turned to the pass side and the front one was Buick(straight out gasline).Brad,you should remember the intake;as it was at BG the year Marty(I think that was his name) brought the Black GSX that you know own.I have a picture of it at a later year on a car,but with the aircleaner on it,it's hard to tell about it without know it.It was for sale that first time,if I had known know what I do,it would have been mine.I have also passsed along my iron stage 2 heads to a collector;as they are to valuable to drive/race alot and cannot be replaced or fixed like the alumn ones.I owned them over 25 years,but I know they are in good hands.Mike Nussell
    Last edited by Mike Nussell; 08-07-2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: misspellings

Quote Originally Posted by Duane
    and about 4 feet away from my X-Camino.
    Duane
    Here's a picture. The 4 bolt block is in the wooden crate to the left of the X Camino, the Prototype GSX is already loaded into the red trailer in the background. You can catch a corner of the GNX Prototype on the lift behind Duane's car and the Black GSX is in the "Bubble', just barely visible in the background.

Come to Salem, Ohio this week and see the 4 bolt block, the GSX Prototype and Duane's X Camino! All this and more will be at the BPG Nationals!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brad Conley. 70 GSX Prototype, 71 Black GSX, 87 GNX Prototype, 75 Skyhawk, 2 86 GN's, 72 Centurion Convert and a host of other Buicks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nussell
    I would also like to know what happen to the cast iron 2x4 intake,with 2 Q-Jets? The back one was Chevy,so the gasline turned to the pass side and the front one was Buick(straight out gasline).Brad,you should remember the intake;as it was at BG the year Marty(I think that was his name) brought the Black GSX that you know own.I have a picture of it at a later year on a car,but with the aircleaner on it,it's hard to tell about it without know it.It was for sale that first time,if I had known know what I do,it would have been mine.I have also passsed along my iron stage 2 heads to a collector;as they are to valuable to drive/race alot and cannot be replaced or fixed like the alumn ones.I owned them over 25 years,but I know they are in good hands.Mike Nussell
    Hi Mike!

Yep, I DO remember that one...we BOTH should have bought it. Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? Hate to hear about your heads but you're probably right. Racing them would just destroy a piece of history and since we have the TA heads now, why take a chance? I hope to see you again soon!

Brad

PS: You have an excellent memory...Marty is his name. He now lives in Salt Lake City and is completely out of the car scene.

I tend to agree with Mike about the iron stage 2 heads. I can't make it to Ohio, even though I'd like to come. What about a registry for all this special equipment, including the iron stage 2 heads. What do you think?

Dan
    3.8 L per Flush

PHP Code:
     right now it's about 30 feet from my chair 
    Please tell me you didn't make a coffee table out of it
    John Fritz

Gold Level Contributor .

TOO MUCH, IS JUST ENUFF!

Previous owner of the "Stage III" 1970 455 cid Experimental 4-Bolt Main "X Block"http://www.buickstreet.com/455buickstage3.html

1960 Electra 225 Convertible Autotronic eye,a/c,power leather buckets,storage console,Wonderbar, all original

1970 455 4 speed Poor Touring GSX RAT ROD!

Anyone remember a older gentleman aty the GS NATS in about 94 or 95 that brought a street rod . Dark blue witha trailer that had a diarama on it of diecast cars around a service station . That car had a pair of the original stage 2 heads on it . Also remember a guy selling a pacjage deal only NOs heads, cam , hedders 4500.00 he as laughed at . I wasn't in the position to buy them but hey still a good deal . As the normal inflation goes . I guess a Stage 1 4spd GSX that sold for 4800 would be a good buy at the normal rate of inflation ! We all know that the parts and cars we have have not stayed in the normal inflation rate . I wish they did when I am buying . Selling is another story but I cannot seem to sell anything , I just haver to buy another car to puit the parts onto.
    John & Terry Kemper
    GSCA #4322
    BPG #1373

70 Sportwagon

Hey guys, Thanks to Northcorner, I should have a few pictures posted of a set of Stage 2 prototype heads (the ones with the vertical bosses) along with the Kustom headers, NOS GM Stage 2 pistons, NOS Stage 2 cam, & a NOS B4B intake that Rusty Wilbanks and I have owned for a number of years. This is definately an interesting thread!
    Jay Vanous
    With every lesson comes the cost of tuition.

Default Stage II pic

Here's one of them for you Jay.
    David Baker

1970 GS Stage1 4-speed
    One of only 664

Default another

another
    David Baker

1970 GS Stage1 4-speed
    One of only 664

I'll take it
    John & Terry Kemper
    GSCA #4322
    BPG #1373

70 Sportwagon

Default Kustom Headers????

Thanks for the pics!!!!!

Hmmm...
    Thinking they made two styles of Kustom headers???

Maybe an early design to work around the casting or freeze plug boss and a later design for the more common stg2's.
    I have the design that's in your picture which I had thought were KB headers and also a design with a thicker and wider conventional header flange
    70 GSX clone race car 10.58@126
    70 stage 2 (real) KenneBell test car that Pop raced.
    70 Skylark 12,400 miles rust free
    70 stage 1 will be restored

Thanks David!!! the Kustom headers will carry the part # 2399 stamped on the flange between an outer and an inner tube on both headers. Enjoy the pics and I'll try and answer any questions. David, thanks again!
    Jay Vanous
    With every lesson comes the cost of tuition.

If you guys want to see more pics of Jay's Stage II package, just let me know. I have several to share. Here's one of the casting number with the "X" before it Sorry it's not a better quality pic. I'll try to do better next time Jay.
    David Baker

1970 GS Stage1 4-speed
    One of only 664

David-
    Close ups on everything would be awesome!
    Thanks
    70 GSX clone race car 10.58@126
    70 stage 2 (real) KenneBell test car that Pop raced.
    70 Skylark 12,400 miles rust free
    70 stage 1 will be restored

Will they fit on my 462???... lol

Lets see if they will....Wow,thats a cool pic of scarce parts...
    What was the purpose of the small bracket on the header tubes???
    Pat Harmon
    1970 QQ GSX back half car
    1970 462 Skylark

the small bracket is to bolt the tubes together since they are a multi-piece design.
    Steve
    1973 GS 464
    STAGE 2 TE
    '95 Supercharged Riv

I hope it's ok to post so many pics on one thread!

Any and all questions about these pics should be directed to martian (Jay), after all he owns all this. Now if i could only afford this little package
    David Baker

1970 GS Stage1 4-speed
    One of only 664

I only have so many close up pics, i hope these are ok for you guys.
    David Baker

1970 GS Stage1 4-speed
    One of only 664

Quote Originally Posted by Martian
    Hey guys, Thanks to Northcorner, I should have a few pictures posted of a set of Stage 2 prototype heads (the ones with the vertical bosses) along with the Kustom headers, NOS GM Stage 2 pistons, NOS Stage 2 cam, & a NOS B4B intake that Rusty Wilbanks and I have owned for a number of years. This is definitely an interesting thread!
    Guys:Thanks for sharing the pictures...worth a thousand words!

OH...and BTW, JAY: What are your plans for these?
    Glen, GSCA#80, BPG #1179

My Brrrruick's
    70 Stage 1 auto, former NMCA D/Pure Stock Record Holder (David Fey, Dave Knudsen, Dave Johnson, Herb McCandless)
    70 Stage 1, 4sp, "Daddy's Toy" former IHRA Stock Record Holder (Melvin/Tommy Jackson)
    72 2dr Post Sedan, snot green, found 2004, running 2012 loaned to a friend in need. (often seen during rush hour)

Get Right with The Man

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast