Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Piston rings which way?

I have some e-289k moly piston rings and Im alittle confused as to which way they go on, Im basing my confusion on some prior engine builds. So here goes, these rings I have I know that the top ring has a dot in it, so it goes up now the second ring is where Im confused it has a dot on one side and a beveled edge on the other side on the inside part of the ring, so here is where Im confused the dot would suggest I install it the same way as the top rings dot up. But I remember back a couple of years ago I had some rings that had a bevel and if I remember right the bevel went up? Anybody use these rings ( E-289K ) and have the answer?
    Ricardo

I have a set of 430 cast iron Speed Pro rings. The top and second ring have a dot on them. If installed the way the instructions say with the dot up the top ring has the inside bevel on top and the second has it on the bottom.

Ray
    Last edited by RG67BEAST; 11-22-2005 at 08:45 PM.

To make things more confusing I also have a set of Total Seal file fit moly rings for a 455. Those instructions say for conventional rings if there is a dot on either ring install that side up.
    For the top ring if there is no dot install with the inside bevel up.
    For the second ring if there is no dot install with the inner bevel side down.
    Hope this helps. Ray