Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: VINTAGE and CLASSIC CAR Rating Guide

Good to know, when i'm restoring my car i can know just what it might be rated at the end.

Talking Re: VINTAGE and CLASSIC CAR Rating Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
    I purchased a book that lists every car from the 40s to the mid 70s that decodes the vins, lists cars orginal price, shipping weights and other info...and it also has a price/rating guide like above butoffcource with a prices..

Title of the book
    Standard Catalog Of American cars 1946-1975 4th edition
    by John Gunnell
    So that book was totally relevent when it was written, but the prices were outdated by the time it was printed and on the rack for the general population to buy and read. The Old Car Price Guide is OK, but my personal favorite is the Hemmings Motor News Collectible Vehicle Value Guide, also in on this with Hemmings is CPI Value Guide, the Black Book. The guide is updated 6 times a year and cost $48 for a year subscription. Money well spent, in my book. And in the front of each issue is an abbreviated rating guide similar to the one Jim posted, so you will always be able to refer to it anytime you need, 'cause we tend to forget.
    Do I believe cars are only worth what any guide says? NO. Values can't be set in stone. Condition is everything, color, personal desires, what you intend to do with it, all play a role in worth. Cars may be worth more or less than a guide suggests, but everyone needs a basic idea of where the market is at any particular time, somewhere to start, and do what you feel like doing from there. Whether one is buying or selling, It's your money (or car) do what you want with it.
    I have a 19,991 mile '73 Malibu, that is pretty much original, but don't consider it better than a #3. It has surface rust on the underside because it was driven, and stored in an un heated garage. It's nice, very clean, and drives like a new one, the chrome, stainless, and all trim is like new, the paint is very nice for original paint, interior likewise, but to me a #3.
    Mike

Between A 4 And A 5. I Am Slowly Restoring The Minor Bumps And Bruises On The Car But In Time It Will Hit 5. 6? I Doubt I Will Ever See 6 Anytime Soon.

My 64 Riv would be about a 4 but after the restoration with it being all orginal with 64000 miles I hope it will be a 2 but soon after that it will be a 3 just because Im not one to trailer a car I mean it has four wheels and an engine isnt that what its ment for ??

Jason

The problem with that guide is that almost all the drivable cars fall between a 3 and a 4. Is their a high 3 or a low 4? It is to tight a description to fit most cars.
    Tomsriv
    71 Riv

I'm proud to say that my daily driver is a strong 4.
    Matt

Youtube Channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/matthewt2010

1972 Skylark Hardtop- 350 4bbl Completely Stock

Rebuild begins soon!

1994 Jeep Cherokee (Daily Driver)

"I'd rather handle like a boat than take off like a Honda!"

Mr62Buick Guest

I think that before the restoration, my Buick Wildcat with 43,000 miles was a 3. Now that she is all done and is back to pristine condition, I would say she is a 1. A 2 when the cragars are on....as she is not original...

According to NADA the Wildcat is worth $18,000, but I just had appraised a month ago from one guy and he said $43,000 and the other who I just asked a quick price, and he said even higher. SUWEEEET!
    Last edited by Mr62Buick; 01-12-2010 at 01:04 AM.

SO A RESTORED CAR , DONE FOR THE LOVE AND FUN OF IT , NOT 100% PERFECT OR ORIGINAL AND NOT ALL NEW PARTS LOTS OF NICE USED OR NOS PARTS , (NOT A TRAILER QUEEN ) A VERY NICE CUSTOM PAINT JOB THAT WILL BE DRIVEN TO AND FROM SHOWS AND EVENTS AND FOR THE CRUISE NIGHTS AS MUCH AS POSIBLE ,BUT NOT A DAILY DRIVER , THE GAS ALONE WOULD MAKE ME GO BROKE lOl.
    I SEE IT AS A # 2 1/2 WOULD THAT BE WRONG OR HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS TYPE CAR ?
    TIM I SEE YOUR CAR AS A #1 YOU DO SWEET WORK AND VERY SELF CONCIOUS OF THE CORRECT FACTORY APPEARANCE , I TO A BUT DID TEND TO DRIFT AWAY FROM ORIGINALITY
    72 GS 755 4sp my first Buick Sure do miss Her
    72 GS 455 / GSX CLONE 8 year restomod ! Custom paint , 455 .30 over , TA Performance 413 cam , performer intake QJet by John Osborne , Kb 2 'Pulse headers , 3' x pipe exaust Th 400 Sp 3200 High stall PAE converter Cast 70 Stage 1 heads worked , 3:42 posi Cant beleive it is almost done ,If there is such a thing

Quote Originally Posted by GSX1 View Post
    TIM I SEE YOUR CAR AS A #1 YOU DO SWEET WORK AND VERY SELF CONCIOUS OF THE CORRECT FACTORY APPEARANCE , I TO A BUT DID TEND TO DRIFT AWAY FROM ORIGINALITY
    Wow old thread and thanks for the kind words but no way is my car even close to a #1. #1 cars don't get driven, they are museum quality. Not only that but the #'s matching parts are on a stand and it has a 455 in it, looks factory installed but totally incorrect for the car, lots of parts are date coded incorrectly, etc and people seem to like pointing out it has panels from several different cars on it. I did things I KNEW were wrong just to make it look better and some people don't like that. That's their call, personally I don't care.

But again it comes down to what a guy wants for himself.
    BPG Member #1023 <<--guess this is done with??
    71 GS Stage 1 hardtop
    72 GS 350 ragtop
    http://www.fixjet.ca

OK, I'll stir it up a little.

I'm not going to say the rating system should be re-written, but I don't like how the "new" and the "better than new" cars are being lumped into the same category. On the same token, "better than new" can be a bit subjective. Really, the only true reference for judging would be a car that has just plopped it's wheels off the assembly line.

The brand new car off the assembly line would not have any aging. It would still have the same fluids in it. None of the materials would have any breakdown in the chemical structure for any reason. It should be the reference. But I believe cars meticulously restored to as-new condition (no overly perfect alignment of body panels or application methods of paint not done in the factory during the cars production) should be judged the same as the brand new car that actually came off the line.

But there should be a separate category for “better than new” cars. These cars are done using techniques simply not feasible in a factory that is turning out as many cars a day as they can. Again, there could be some guidelines for what constitutes “better than new” to keep out the guys who would say a gold-plated frame is better. “Better than new” should mean tighter tolerances, better paint, perfect assembly, improved internals in the engine, etc; things that Buick would have done if they had had the time and technology of today to build each car with no expenses spared. These cars should be appreciated in their own category.
    Just my humble opinion, anyway.
    BJ
    BPG 1474

CURRENT BUICK
    1972 Skylark Custom - 462 (TA/TSP S1), TH400, 3.42 posi

PAST BUICKS
    1971 Skylark Convertible - 11:1 400, TH400, 3.55 posi
    1968 GS 400 - Drivetrain donor
    1963 Riviera - 425, Dynaflow

have you ever seen a 85+- GN BB 4speed car or am i still the only 1 to have 1

Quote Originally Posted by buicknut@live View Post
    have you ever seen a 85+- GN BB 4speed car or am i still the only 1 to have 1
    A few nice pics are in order!

Frank Brooks, Austin, TX USA

Empty garage again...
    WOT Charter Member
    2016 GMC HD2500 Denali 4WD CC Duramax/Allison 1000(DD)

new @ this but will take pic on sat then up load

My 70 Skylark is a 4,but my 70 gs455 convertible is a 6 and I will rebuilt the little bugger...I hope it will be my last one (Again,quote my wife)

I have a 1968 Buick Skylark, White with black vinyl top, Rust on al quarters around the wheel well, changed all bushings for a high energy suspension upgrade, as all parts were original, but useless. I have the original motor/intake out, being refreshed then reinstalled( I keep finding stuff to fix that will be easier with motor and tran out). I think it is a 5, which means ita probably a 6. My question is this, I took out the st300 and bought a rebuilt th350 (Buick bolt pattern) and am planning to install the th350 when I finish doing stuff. Will changing the tran decrease the value? I am doing it for the purpose of making it more drivable. Also replaced front brakes with disks.
    I would be, by another guys gude, maybe the worst kind of collector/restorer as I do all the work myself, but am trying to find original options for that year.

defiantly a place to start, I have wondered how to rate some of the cars we see and that criteria works pretty well. Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Birdawg68 View Post
    I have a 1968 Buick Skylark, White with black vinyl top, Rust on al quarters around the wheel well, changed all bushings for a high energy suspension upgrade, as all parts were original, but useless. I have the original motor/intake out, being refreshed then reinstalled( I keep finding stuff to fix that will be easier with motor and tran out). I think it is a 5, which means ita probably a 6. My question is this, I took out the st300 and bought a rebuilt th350 (Buick bolt pattern) and am planning to install the th350 when I finish doing stuff. Will changing the tran decrease the value? I am doing it for the purpose of making it more drivable. Also replaced front brakes with disks.
    I would be, by another guys gude, maybe the worst kind of collector/restorer as I do all the work myself, but am trying to find original options for that year.
    If it were a GS it would decrease the value, but not a regular 68 Skylark. The way I see it, if it runs and drives good its worth more.
    Tomsriv
    71 Riv

My 70 GS 455 was hit lightly but the panels were replaced over time. It was driven hard and they had fun in it! now That I own it I find it has components from at least 7 different cars on this one. Now I am fully restoring it and since the engine and transmission are no longer original to the car I find myself doing a little hot rodding myself. 2 spun bearings and a rod journal were out when I purchased it! Now she sports Edelbrock performer RPM heads and intake on an SF block pushing a VERY conservative 425 to 450 Horses . It had a 1977 TH 400 from a Cadillac Seville and am now trying to put a 4L60E (4 speed automatic) behind the 455 to get better mileage from the 3:64 gears out back. The car was crusher material with a solid frame and good suspension when I got it but could not let her go to the crusher. I am purchasing all new panels from AMD through Then and Now and when complete will still have at least 4 different vehicles in this one. (71 GS Hood, 70 GS RIV 455, passenger side door? It was blue on a gold car!, and the transmission) all on my car!
    Rotisorie restoration and painted like the black 71 GSX with gold stripes.

The best I can do is a 3 on this scale but man it will be fun to drive!

While I understand the need for a rating system I feel that the description makes a lot of expensive restored cars look like #4 cars. Sure sounds baad to spend thousands and end up in a weak #3 or #4 car. Ouch.
    John & Terry Kemper
    GSCA #4322
    BPG #1373

70 Sportwagon

I was in the Tim hortons parking lot the other day looking at a brand new truck parked beside me with orange peeled overspray from bumper to bumper thinking 40 g's for that how embarrassing, I would much rather put that much into my skylark and end up with a three or a four or two, more than half the people that will see it will appreciate it for what it will become. Plus after u put that kind of money into ur baby, u can guarantee that aside from regular maintainance ur classic will out last any or almost all of the throwaways that the auto industry is building today. While appraisers and price guides dictate the value of our blood and sweat.. I still think its worth it to save a classic. They don't make em like they used to

take a look at my car and tell me what ya'll think also it is for sale too

I would rate my car as 4.5, its still strong and shiny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12