Are O rings needed for back of Compressor connection?

Discussion in 'The Big Chill' started by Utah455, Jan 30, 2021.

  1. Utah455

    Utah455 Well-Known Member

    I’m working on putting AC hoses in and didn’t know if o rings are needed on the hose to compressor fittings. The back of compressor connection.

    (Car was void of AC hoses and compressor before so nothing to reference) It appears to be just a metal to metal contact. I didn’t see anything in manual but wanted to make sure.

  2. Stage 2 iron

    Stage 2 iron 474 IRON HEAD STAGE 2

    Yes there is two. They are installed on the back of the compressor.
  3. Utah455

    Utah455 Well-Known Member

    Hey Frank! Thanks again! Two o rings it is. I got that muffler bracket cleaned up and decided to clear coat it and working on installing the AC lines and hoses. Then onto the overflow tank.
  4. Brett Slater

    Brett Slater Super Moderator Staff Member

    Do you have the correct, thick walled & ribbed hoses?
  5. Utah455

    Utah455 Well-Known Member

    Should be correct. Bought them from Todd.
    Just need to figure out what style clamp to use on that hose.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  6. Brett Slater

    Brett Slater Super Moderator Staff Member

    No one reproduces them.

    Buick Frank did for a bit way back when and they were close but guys said they didn't last very long.

    The thinner one that affixes to the top of the overflow is 25 inches long and clips into the little clamp on the lower part radiator tank. The shorter/thicker one is 13 inches long and goes from the radiator fill spout to the bottom of the overflow. Most times they were lost and replaced with fuel hose.

    They look like this:

    20191101_173319.jpg 20191101_173336.jpg 20200102_212753.jpg 20200102_212852.jpg
  7. Utah455

    Utah455 Well-Known Member

    Hey Brett, This is what I picked up. What style clamps do you have holding it on from the radiator to the overflow tank. I need to find the smaller hose for the overflow to the ground. Thinking of just using vacuum line for that.
    3311C6CB-34C8-4F7D-9F9C-EAB76AEF91FD.jpeg FA8E22CD-B937-4E57-B66F-9C3745007EC0.jpeg
  8. Brett Slater

    Brett Slater Super Moderator Staff Member

    Green pinch clamps.


    Notice the difference between the hose you have and this?


    I have an extra longer one if you like.
    Utah455 likes this.
  9. Utah455

    Utah455 Well-Known Member

    Yeah, I see it’s thicker. Cause the green clamps I have are falling off and not holding.

    I have green 0.575” (5/8”) and red which is 0.450 ~7/16”. If I use the hose that just came in, then I need to find 0.500” size.

    Well, decided to go in the box with the old overflow tank and lookie what I just found. The original hose. Guess I’m using this with some new clamps. Score!

    7A2233E6-1E6F-4EF5-AFF4-2B11001F75E5.jpeg 34605F30-EB45-4CA6-B4E7-C098899FB2E9.jpeg
    Brett Slater likes this.
  10. Brett Slater

    Brett Slater Super Moderator Staff Member


    I have the longer one if you're interested. $25/shipped.
    Utah455 likes this.
  11. Utah455

    Utah455 Well-Known Member

    Let me double check. That’s the smaller hose that goes from the overflow tank top hole to basically the ground.

Share This Page