Convertible top stainless trim removal

Discussion in 'The ragtop shop' started by gd2227, Nov 22, 2021.

  1. gd2227

    gd2227 Platinum Level Contributor

    On the 68-71 Skylark/ GS models, how does one remove the stainless trim? Both screws have been removed.. Is it the bottle opener method?

  2. BuickV8Mike

    BuickV8Mike SD Buick Fan

    Are you talking about around the well where the top goes down into?
  3. Smartin

    Smartin Staff Member

    There should be several screws holding each side on. Be sure to run the entire length on the inside of each piece to ensure all of those short Phillips heads are out. Then the trim will lift off toward the inside. Also one screw at the front tips of each piece behind window sweeps.

  4. gd2227

    gd2227 Platinum Level Contributor

    This is the stainless piece that starts at the top of each quarter and runs across the sail panel. It is a left and right piece.
  5. Jim Weise

    Jim Weise EFI/DIS 482

    If we are talking hardtop here.. then yes, pry it off carefully from the outside in.. starting with the joint at the A pillar. I can usually do this by hand, but sometimes used a spoon to help it out.. stay away from anything pointed, so you don't damage the trim.

    That's for the drip rail moulding.

    For vinyl top cars, the lower top moulding is held in place by clips, and the corner pieces are installed with nuts from the inside.. take those off first, and the pop the lower top trim off.

  6. gd2227

    gd2227 Platinum Level Contributor

    Jim- it's for a convertible...
  7. Dano

    Dano Platinum Level Contributor

    Will be removing mine this week but it looks to be exactly as @Smartin described above (nice to "see" you @ MCACN Adam:)).
    Smartin likes this.
  8. mrolds69

    mrolds69 "The Cure"

    George, if you're talking a bout the pinchweld moldings on a vert...right, there is a small phillips screws on the end near the 1/4 window on each side. Sometimes there is an extra screw there or the same screw is used to hold the inner weatherstrip. At the rear there are maybe 3 tiny like #4 x 3/8" on each piece. Lower the top so it's like maybe 18-24" from the w/s header. Get like a small mirror (like 6" round with a handle) and look under the trim edge to locate the screws. You need a REALLY good small right angle ratcheting screwdriver (I have a set of 3 Snappies I use for that and installed w/w trim). The right screws are panhead phillips, HD or Lowes has them. they go into a double thickness of sheetmetal and can be really hard to remove.
  9. gd2227

    gd2227 Platinum Level Contributor

    Thanks Frank! Yes, I had the top ~1/2 down, used a drop light to reflect off the glass to illuminate the screws. The center screw is IN THERE, as is 1 beside it. All, except those 2, have been removed… it’s a pain!

Share This Page