4L60E into 66' Buick Skylark crossmember

Discussion in 'Pro-Touring' started by Peelinoffwtheceilingoff, Dec 10, 2017.

  1. Peelinoffwtheceilingoff

    Peelinoffwtheceilingoff Active Member

    What crossmembers are you guys running for the 4l60e swap? I'm having trouble finding any concrete info on what does & doesn't work. Thanks
  2. psycholark

    psycholark Well-Known Member

    Try www.brphotrods.com, also called MR Muscle Rods, they have all kinds of options for conversions like your doing.

    Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  3. sean Buick 76

    sean Buick 76 Buick Nut Staff Member

    Just get a cross-member for a 66 chevelle with a 4L60E it will work. The aftermarket makes lots of chevelle parts that bolt onto Skylarks
    Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  4. Donuts & Peelouts

    Donuts & Peelouts Life's 2 Short. Live like it.

    Just curious what are you mating to the 4 L 60 e
  5. 300sbb_overkill

    300sbb_overkill WWG1WGA. MAGA

    This is the only 4L80E cross member I could find for your I am assuming '66 Skylark convertible;


    If it was a coupe, there are a bunch for those but couldn't find one for a convertible. Time to fire up the sawzall and welder, the above kit has everything you need it looks like to make one that will work. Just make sure you get the height correct or you'll have problems with pinion bearing wear because of driveshaft misalignment.

    The good part about the kit is that is cost less than an off the shelf one.(that is if you can build it yourself)

    If you don't have your heart set on using THAT transmission, there are convertible cross members for the other overdrive transmissions conversions available for your car. GL

    EDIT: Just noticed you wrote 4L60E not 80E, duh! Here's one for that trans;

  6. Donuts & Peelouts

    Donuts & Peelouts Life's 2 Short. Live like it.

    What about making one. Don't some guys just make um instead of buying them?
  7. cobravii

    cobravii Well-Known Member

    I had to make one for my '64 electra convertible. It wasn't hard to do.
  8. BillA

    BillA Well-Known Member


    I have the G Force crossmember in my '64 convertible. It's the only aftermarket unit I could find for A-body convertibles that had adequate header/exhaust clearance. I used it for a 2004R originally then for a TKO600 that is now installed in the car. The thing is very well built. If you want to make one I still have the original crossmember you could cut and weld and keep your original if you plan to return the car to stock someday.
  9. vroomman

    vroomman John Davis

    I have a 1967 Skylark convertible with a 340, four barrel carb and dual exhaust and I installed a 1985 200R4 from a Monte Carlo SS and used a crossmember from a 67 Chevelle SS that had a turbo 400 in it and it fits perfectly. I would almost bet the crossmember from the Monte Carlo SS would have come close to matching up but I had a Chevelle crossmember anyway. I'm not sure if the 4L60E is close to a 200R4 though. It makes for a sweet conversion, the torque convertor bolted right up to the 340 flywheel and the Buick floorshift parts bolted right onto the 200R4. Good Luck with your conversion!!!

Share This Page