Control arm bushings removal

Discussion in 'The whoa and the sway.' started by 1966buickgs, Jan 9, 2018.

  1. 1966buickgs

    1966buickgs 1966buickgs

    How do I remove the control arm bushing on my 66 Gransport? I have already removed both upper and lower control arms. I have the correct replacement bushings for the upper an 1 looks correct for the bottom the other doesn't look like it will fit,the Moog part# for the lower control arm bushing kit is K5149. The chassis service manual I have says the control arms are only serviced as a complete assemblies an therefore must be replaced if the bushings are excessively worn! I hope this is not true an I can remove these old bushings an successfully install these new bushings an keep my original control arms. I do not want tubular control arms. Any help on how to remove these without terring them up would much appreciated! Thank you all
  2. Gulfgears

    Gulfgears Gulfgears

    Bushings are replaceable, both upper and lower.
    Do you have a 66 service manual (GM)? It is covered there. You can go on line and see how others have removed the bushings. I took the rubber out with a drill bit and then used a air chisel to remove the metal shell. Getting them out is easy, getting the new ones in is a PITA!
    Make sure not to deform the control arms when installing the new bushings.
  3. NZ GS 400

    NZ GS 400 Gold Level Contributor

    I removed my old ones the same way. Before I went ahead and bought a hydraulic press, I took my arms to a local auto repair shop and they pressed the new ones in for me for a few bucks.
    BadBrad and john.schaefer77 like this.
  4. 1966buickgs

    1966buickgs 1966buickgs

    Ok thank you all. By the way does anyone know the moog part number for the lower control arm bushings,especially the bigger bushing. Parts store gave me the wrong one.
  5. NZ GS 400

    NZ GS 400 Gold Level Contributor

    I don't know off hand. I got the right ones from Check their parts catalog.
  6. Daves69

    Daves69 Too many cars too work on

    The easiest way to replace the lower bushings is to rent a ball joint press and use some sockets to push the bushings through. I cut a piece of angle iron to act as a spacer to prevent collapsing the arm Also replace your ball joints while you are at it.
  7. Joe Belchak

    Joe Belchak New Member

    What was the name of the shop? I called my local NAPA and they don’t do that work anymore!
  8. gsx455-4ever

    gsx455-4ever Gold Level Contributor

    Probably has to be a NAPA store that still does machine work like valve cutting and head surface refinishing . You would have better luck at a independent Auto Parts store like the old Mom and Pop one that are almost extinct thanks to Advance , Pep Boys and Auto Zone .
  9. rex362

    rex362 paint clear and drive

    I put the control arm in vice and smack the inner ends of bushing sleeve on both sides with a chisel to collapse a bit
    and then sawzall at center then I spit on it and just falls out :) with the rubber bushings in or out

    You can use a vise to put them back on as well and put the new bushings in the freezer for a few helps a
    bit and make sure you use a spacer in between the inside of control arm walls
    near the bushing hole so it doesn't collapse..socket or piece of wood works

    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  10. telriv

    telriv Well-Known Member

    I don't even take the arms out of the car. I vibrate them out & back in with an air chisel.
  11. Joe Belchak

    Joe Belchak New Member

  12. Joe Belchak

    Joe Belchak New Member

    Moog has two different control arm bushings kits for my 69 skylark... when I ordered them from RockAuto, the only PN they showed was the K5149. The K5149 has the oval shaped bushing. Mine takes the other kit I think it is PN K5161.... the lower control arm has two different size bushings.

Share This Page