Evening all. My 72 Suncoupe had been converted to an internally regulated alternator by the late great John Kemper. Suddenly charging problems cropped up. I found the wire from the back of the alternator to the top plug had broken off. I remove the alt, cleaned some things up, painted some brackets and fixed the wire. Went for a test drive. My meter said my alternator wasn't charging, so I high tailed it home. The car stalled in the street but I was able to coast into my driveway. I had to jump the battery before it would crank. It would only start with starting fluid. It seems I ran out of gas, even though my gauge said I had 1/4 tank. That's a first. So, off comes the alternator to have it tested. I found out it was shot. I got a new alternator, it tests good. I installed it, still not charging the battery. A meter across the battery while on high idle only shows about 12.5 volts. I removed the alt, sanded the new rattlecan paint off of the mounting brackets, then reinstalled. No improvement. I have the exciter wire going from the alt post to the "2" terminal of the alt plug-in on top. I actually tried it on both sides. No charging is happening here. My idiot light never did work. The plug from the old voltage regulator has not been cut off, and nothing is jumpered on the old plug either. A test light shows voltage from the alt post to the wire plugged into the "2" terminal, while using the alternator bolt as a ground. What the hell am I missing here?