Ball joint on upper arms

Discussion in 'A boatload of fun' started by Go Buick Go, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. Go Buick Go

    Go Buick Go Woot!

    Are the ball joints in the upper arms replaceable? In the book it says they're not, so I'm hesitant to do anything with it. The book says that if anything is screwed up with the upper control arms that you have to replace the whole thing. The ball joints have welds around them too, can I just grind those off and get new ball joints, or can I not replace them?

  2. 68 LeSabre 4dr

    68 LeSabre 4dr Well-Known Member

    Grind off the welds , remove and install the new ball joints and tack weld them back in . :pp :TU:
  3. Go Buick Go

    Go Buick Go Woot!

    Well, I guess that's yet another excuse to go buy a mig welder! I was hoping that wasn't going to be the response, but fearful that it was. Muchas gracias (I probably spelled that wrong :) )
  4. Yardley

    Yardley Club Jackass

    Be very careful here Romy. If your upper ball joints are the ones like I have (and they sound like they are) you can ONLY get them from a Buick supplier like Kanter or Buick World. EVERY auto part store has the same part number listed in their book and they are all wrong!

    They hand you a chintzy little Nova-type ball joint that has 3 bolts to hold it in. So plan ahead and order it in advance, because if you get up in the morning figuring you'll run to Pep Boys, pick up the ball joints and come home and install them, you'll be wasting your time. Mail order only.

    Ours must be pressed in then tack welded like Bruce said.
  5. palbuick

    palbuick Well-Known Member

    Ball joints

    Hi Romy
    I think I have a pair of original Buick ball joints, will have to check if upper or lower. Replacement B.J. are from 63-70.
    I will let you know in a day or two.
    I live in Belvidere. Ill

    Jim Schilf
  6. palbuick

    palbuick Well-Known Member

    Buick Ball joints

    Hi Romy
    I have apair of Moog replacement upper ball joints for the 1965 through 1970 full size Buicks. New , part #K 5182 left or right sides.
    Price is $ 50.00 each, plus shipping or you can pick up.
    I also have a pair of lower Ball joints for same cars. All are made in USA.

    Jim Schilf
  7. Go Buick Go

    Go Buick Go Woot!

    And these are the weld in kind? How much would you want for the lowers too? And for shipping on it're out by Rockford, and with my gas-milage it would probably be cheaper to just mail them.
  8. palbuick

    palbuick Well-Known Member

    Ball joints 70 LeSabre

    Hi Romy
    The ones I have are replacement B.J. and have a large nut that holds the BJ in place. These should be press in by machine shop and then the nut installed.
    One B J is missing the rubber boot. I think i had to use it on my 66. Will make deal on all 4 units.
    Send me E-mail for price.

    Jim Schilf

    NOTNSS Gold Level Contributor

    Aha... so that's why no one has these. Wish I'd know all the oddball stuff about these cars (ball joints, ignition switch, rear upper bushing with adjustable rear, driveshaft, etc.) I might have reconsidered the purchase. Is that sacralidge around here?

    Oh well, here we go.

    Guess I'll be loading a press into the suburban when I'm in Reno in a few weeks.
  10. tom moore

    tom moore New Member

    Do you still have upper ball joints? Tom. 516.728.7446
  11. mobileparts123

    mobileparts123 Well-Known Member

    I can't match that price of those listed above^^^,
    *** That also was 18 years ago *** ( if you notice...)

    But, if anyone here needs 1 pair (2) Upper Ball Joints
    (1963 - 1970 Buick Full Size --ALL-- and Riviera --ALL --),
    I have exactly two (2) remaining--- and they D O have (I purposely mark the outside of the box "w/ lock ring")
    N.O.S. U.S.A. made (1 - T R W & 1 - Elgin)

    Always best to simply call me--- 516 - 485 - 1935 -- Yours, Craig
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022

Share This Page