Correct Clutch Linkage for 72 Skylark Custom 350-2

Discussion in 'U-shift em' started by JoRion, Sep 21, 2020.

  1. JoRion

    JoRion Well-Known Member

    Hey all,

    Trying to put in a muncie into my skylark. Having a hard time finding the correct linkage kit for the car. Does the 350 and the 455 use the same kit? z-bar?

    I called both parts place – who said the the 455 kit wouldn't work. Also called 4-speed conversions – who said the same kit is used on both engine sizes.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. 87GN_70GS

    87GN_70GS Well-Known Member

    They are similar, but not exactly the same. However, both setups will work on either
  3. JoRion

    JoRion Well-Known Member

  4. Dwayne B

    Dwayne B Well-Known Member

    I bought the parts place kit on Ebay.
    They sell A kit with A 350 Z bar ,that is what I bought.This winter I'm going to put A big block in my car and I bought A big block Z bar from them .They told me the Z bars was the only deference in there kits.
  5. CJay

    CJay Supercar owner Staff Member

    Dano likes this.
  6. Dano

    Dano Platinum Level Contributor

    PM sent.

    Didn't you just build a 350 for it?
  7. 87GN_70GS

    87GN_70GS Well-Known Member

  8. Dwayne B

    Dwayne B Well-Known Member

    I put A 212 cam in my 350 A few years ago. It's a good running motor but I've always wanted A big block. I bought A low mileage 430 that I installed A TA 113 cam in. I'm going to put in my Skylark this winter.
    Dano likes this.
  9. JoRion

    JoRion Well-Known Member

    Thanks for the input.

    Dwayne, you were right, there is a 350 kit on ebay. Odd that they don't put that on their site – or that when I called, it wasn't mentioned. I more or less got a response that they only sell to guys working on big blocks...

    I have a few more questions, and it seems like you all have the answers.

    Looks like the proper flywheel for this application is a 160t. Like most everything else on when searching for parts for this car, a 153t flywheel comes up as a match on parts sites. But that is incorrect? Its only the 160t flywheel for this application, correct? If so, I guess I will order one from TA Performance...

    Once I get the flywheel, do I just take it and my old flexplate to the machine shop to have it balanced?

    And finally: What is the best shifter hump for a 72 skylark? Ive read varying accounts on the matter... That a chevelle hump works – but needs modification. What is the right answer?

    Many thanks,

  10. CJay

    CJay Supercar owner Staff Member

    You can get a trans hump out of a 69 442 but be prepared to pay $250
  11. JoRion

    JoRion Well-Known Member

    yeah, definitely not prepared to spend that much.
  12. 87GN_70GS

    87GN_70GS Well-Known Member

    Try to find a good used flywheel
    Darron72Skylark likes this.
  13. Darron72Skylark

    Darron72Skylark Well-Known Member

    You are correct, the 153 tooth flywheel is not the right part. Not many options out there besides TA Performance, Modern Driveline and finding a good used flywheel. I got lucky last year and found a flywheel from a fellow member here on the V8 forum

Share This Page