How do you tell the difference between a 350 & 455????

Discussion in 'The Bench' started by 3lark, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. 3lark

    3lark Well-Known Member

    I am looking for a complete 455 for my 70 Skylark. If the engine is out of the car is their an easy way to tell if it is a 455? Pictures would be helpful :Do No: I have never owned a Buick with a 455, just 350's. Also, if anyone has a complete 455 with all accessories & brackets they are selling I would be interested if it is near Chicago.
  2. flynbuick

    flynbuick Guest

    The number of bolts on the valve covers is not the same and the cid is cast in the block right behind the intake.
  3. bob k. mando

    bob k. mando Guest

    a little somethin somethin i'm working on. as far as Buicks are concerned:
    6 bolt valve covers = small block Buick 350
    5 bolt valve covers = big block Buick 400 / 430 / 455
    4 bolt valve covers = small block Buick 215 / 300 / 340
  4. Rivman

    Rivman Senior Ottawa Buick Guy


    Here's a nice pic of a 455. :TU:
  5. easy way to tell a big block without even opening the hood is to look at the front of the oilpan where it meets the timing cover.. a 400-430 and 455 will have a 45 degree angle where the two meet.. a 300,340,350 or V6 will be flat and parallel with the oil pan rail.

Share This Page