Metal carb base gasket? Needed?

Discussion in 'The Mixing shop.' started by Bogus919, Oct 14, 2022.

  1. Bogus919

    Bogus919 Silver Level contributor

    Was wondering if somebody could enlighten me on the metal gasket? I bought a used ‘71 stock 455 intake for my car and it sits on top of a set of ‘70 heads. When I got the intake the package had a used metal gasket in it that was bent up. I’ve been wondering now if should have used one. I do not currently have one on the car. I assume that gasket is a heat shield, what would be some symptoms if it wasn’t used?

    thank you
  2. Pav8427

    Pav8427 Well-Known Member

    Its used on early intakes that have the exhaust heat cross over slot in them. Not needed if it is a later intake w/o slot.
    Bogus919 and TrunkMonkey like this.
  3. TrunkMonkey

    TrunkMonkey Well-Known Member

    If the intake has an exhaust heat passage that looks like this on the carb pad and it is not plugged, you would need the metal plate.
    Otherwise, no need for it.

    Bogus919 likes this.

    BUICKRAT Got any treats?

    Ryan, do you mean the intake gasket? or an actual metal carb base gasket. Have not seen a metal carb gasket on these motors.
    Guy Parquette likes this.
  5. Bogus919

    Bogus919 Silver Level contributor

    Thanks guys. I do not have that crossover.

    Steve, you changed your pic... I almost didn't recognize you. Hope NH is treating you well.
  6. LARRY70GS

    LARRY70GS a.k.a. "THE WIZARD" Staff Member

    You are talking about the metal carb pad gasket, not the bathtub intake gasket right?

Share This Page