Discussion in 'Wrenchin' Secrets' started by skymangs, Mar 11, 2004.
And the left side damage
The biggest problem was the rear window. This was a vinayl top car, and the rear window channel suffered the consequences. the lower portion was basically gone. I had the air conditioning shop bend me a 68in. long L shaped piece of 18 gauge sheetmetal 3/4 by 15/16, then I sliced the 3/4in side to radius the back window, using the chrome trim as a guide. Once I had it set, I spot welded it in and welded my slices solid.
Here is a shot with the rear window chrome, to show the fitment. After agonizing over this for the last couple days, I think I am going to delete the chrome on both the rear and front windows, and build the channel up and around the sides for a flush fit with no moldings.
I shaved the drip rails, then re-welded the seams (factory spot welds the roof to the drip rails). Then ground everything down and rounded the edges. I will smooth the roof by using filler to round out the small wind line where the drip rails used to be.
And finally, the dash. Here is a shot of the installed recessed heater control panel behind the hinged ashtray
Here is the dash as it looks now, most of the passenger side filling and smoothing is done. I am going to have to fabricate a new instrument cluster though, cause the old plastic on just won't seem to work right with what I have in mind. Tune in next time for more updates.
what it's gonna look like
Here is a couple preliminary sketches I did to show what the car will look like when it's finished,
what it's gonna look like
Looking good Chris Keep up the good work for on the buick and for cobra team!
I had no idea this post / series was even here...
Man, this is great! Awesome work dude! Especially the Camaro steering column. Keep up the good work, I'll be checking back often :TU:
Finally, a little primer
Finally got some primer on the car this week. As it stands now, all the major body work (except the hood) is done. I am now filling the rear window channel for a "Flush fit". It has turned out to be a lot of work, but should be worth it. Here are some pics.
another glorious shot. Just the shell is primed, the doors, hood, fenders and trunk lid are almost ready.
Here is how the shaved drip rails turned out. I wound up "rolling" the roofline out slightly to get rid of the small wind line above the old drip rails. I think it came out looking pretty slick.
Here is a better shot. Next up... fenders, doors, and hood. Hopefully all will go smoothly for awhile.
sorry the pics suck, I will try it again with flash on Mon.
Skyman That will be one fine looking car! :TU: :beer
I think I might have just picked up another old project....
65 skylark 2 dr post. zero rust, arrow straight, 1 owner since 65, original california black plate car with every registration since 1965. 300/2bbl, runs and drives nice. Paint is faded but presentable. Wonder what I could get for that on ebay???
"I am now filling the rear window channel for a "Flush fit". "
How about some info on this part of the project? What did it take? How did you do it?
GS464, I haven't finished reworking the window channels yet. I will post in detail when I get-R-done. The idea started when trying to decide what to do with the window chrome. I wanted an ultra smooth look, and the chrome was drawing from it. What I am using is called "All-Metal". It is a filler available from any local paint supply store. It is supposed to be just as strong as the surrounding metal.
I started by building the channel out about 1/4", stopping frequently to fit the window and check my depth. Next I will fill in the gap around the window (about 3/8") checking for proper fitment constantly. The idea is to have the windshield and rear window mount flush with the body with no chrome.